Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Guilty
Unregistered 08:41 AM 01-26-2012
I am a member but I logged out:

Lunchtime is so stressful for me. I am legally operating but unlicensed, so I do not get any kind of food subsidy. I pay for all of the food out of what I make, which is not a ton.

That being said, I believe that children need super healthy diets, well rounded meals, and that those meals should be all natural at the very least, and organic at best.

When I started my daycare, I bought that kind of food for all of the kids- organic and all natural. I have kids and I will only feed them organic food- I have done too much research and seen too many documentaries to know that conventional food is poison, the cause for cancer, and so many other illnesses.

So I served this healthy, wholesome food to the kids. Blueberries, organic yogurt, free range chicken, etc- very nutritious, healthy meals. I only buy organic milk too.

Here is the part I feel guilty about- none of the daycare kids eat what I serve. Am I crazy- who wouldn't want to eat fresh blueberries and raspberries? Home made sweet potato fries? I have had these kids for over a year now- the same kids. All they want to eat is goldfish, PB&J, mac and cheese, and junk food. All of the other delicious wholesome food Iprepare always goes to waste- so I stopped giving it to them. I make their PB&J (organic bread and pb and J), and I bought some conentional chicken nuggets (ick), and some canned mac and cheese and spaghettios, and they went crazy! So at leastthey are eating, but I feel terrible and like a failure for not exposing them to healthier food. They only like applesauce, no veggies at all. I have pureed the vegetable pulp leftover from my juicer and stuck it in some breads and muffins that I make so they have some nutrients. I feel responsible for their health, because I serve (mont of them) breakfast AND dinner. The other child I care for has doughnuts and chocolate milk everyday for breakfast-OMG.

As a result, I still feed my kids the organic food, and separate food for the daycare kids- my kids now want the crappy chicken nuggets. (Have you ever seen how a chicken nugget is made? If not, I suggest you youtube "Mcdonalds meat-deboner- you will never eat one again I assure you).

Anyway, I guess I am looking for validation. If the daycare kids will only eat things like canned spaghettios, p&J, etc, is it ok to let them have it?
greenhouse 01:05 PM 01-26-2012
My dck eats all the healthy food I cook- loves fruits and veggies, always has 2nds. He's a joy to feed. My own child is a nightmare to feed. I would never givE up on healthy food, no. Try different ways of preparing. I got my son to eat beets by shedding them into homemade pizza.
littlemissmuffet 01:13 PM 01-26-2012
If my daycare kids don't eat the healthy foods I prepare... they don't eat. Parents know this during the interviewing process. Unfortunately, so many kids are growing up on garbage food and developing terrible eating habits at very young ages... many parents don't see how they are setting their children up for failure by giving them this junk... and then wondering why they won't eat REAL food.
Heidi 01:18 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
If my daycare kids don't eat the healthy foods I prepare... they don't eat. Parents know this during the interviewing process. Unfortunately, so many kids are growing up on garbage food and developing terrible eating habits at very young ages... many parents don't see how they are setting their children up for failure by giving them this junk... and then wondering why they won't eat REAL food.
same here, and no seconds until your plate is empty. I will not make anyone eat something they truly detest, like gagging detest, but otherwise, you eat what you are offered, or you wait until the next meal. smile sweetly...

For the most part, I also serve family style, so if they don't eat something, it can be saved. Once it's on their plates, eaten or not, it has to be thrown away. I also have a shih tzu who loves cleaning the floor, so that helps!
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:25 PM 01-26-2012
Ive read that MC D's post, even posted the link on my FB! So gross, havent touched it since

I have the same problem right now with all of my kids, dc and my own.

I think all we can do is keep serving it but less, and if they eat, great.

If not, oh well.
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:28 PM 01-26-2012
Oh and yes I give my dc kids and my own, kd, canned pasta, pb&j, once in a while. It aint gonna kill em!
Ariana 05:53 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
This exactly! I only feed good organic food and I just give them smaller portions and they can ask for 2nd and 3rds if they choose. It's odd that they never changed their eating habits with you but so be it, you can't change the world. I always try and be creative with meals so they 'think' they're eating junk
familyschoolcare 01:17 PM 01-26-2012
Op I would continue to do part of what you said make the foods they whant but healthy.

THe kids whant chicken nuggets either buy the ones that have only chicken meat in them or make them ourslef out of chicken breast. Mac and chees make it your self so it has rea cheese.

Did I understand your post correctly the children did not like the home made sweet potatoe fry's that is a new one to me.
erinalexmom 10:23 AM 01-27-2012
I don't post here anymore (but I still lurk sometimes! ) but I did want to tell you about the book "Deceptivly Delicous" its by Jessica Sienfeld and she used vegie puree's to make "kids foods" healthier. Its a great book and might be the happy medium your looking for
Lilbutterflie 11:06 AM 01-27-2012
I do agree that it is not your fault his kids won't eat. You should be PROUD of the fact that you are serving them healthy and wholesome meals, not cave in! I think even if you only find two or three healthy dishes they will eat even a little bit of; go with those.

I personally do not think that every now and then, infrequent meals of canned this or that is going to harm them. But if you take pride in serving healthy, natural and organic; you should not cave in b/c you have some picky eaters.
BigMama 11:46 AM 01-27-2012
My personal philosophy is that it is my job to buy the healthy food, prepare the healthy food, serve the healthy food, but it is the children's job to eat it or not. I am lucky that I have really good eaters who gobble up pretty much everything I serve including fruits and veggies, but I can understand that it would be frustrating to throw away good food everyday. Here is what I would try:
-Make healthier versions of the processed foods they will eat
(make ring pasta with organic tomato sauce, the chicken nuggets another poster described, etc.)
-Serve tiny portions of mac. and cheese or something else they like alongside a healthier meal. This way it satisfies your worry that they are hungry but they still get served a healthy meal.
-Another poster mentioned the puree technique. I used this method a few years ago when I had a 3 year old who would not eat any vegetable but mashed potatoes. My favorite "hidden" veggies were cauliflower in scrambled eggs, butternut squash in macaroni and cheese, sweet potato in applesauce, any pureed veg in tomato sauce, & squash in chicken soup. I would even spread some puree in between PB&J sandwiches. I still served fruits and veggies with the meals but knew that she was at least getting some nutrients if she left those behind.
-Have them cook with you. I do find that some kids are more willing to eat when they have helped prepare it. While you are making it you can talk about how yummy it is going to be when it is done. They can stir, chop with a plastic knife, peel, use an apple corer, mash, shake, shuck, pour, measure, etc. I don't know if you do field trips with the kids but you might even take them to the grocery store or the farmers market and have them pick out something of each color.
-Make eating something healthy into an activity. Help them make fruit kabobs, make fruit salad out of the fruits featured in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, make ants on a log, etc.
-Ask the parents for ideas and suggestions. Even if they feed them "junk foods" at home they must have some food traditions that they cherish. Maybe a recipe of grandmas that doesn't get made very often or a fondness for Italian food. Maybe they can each send in a recipe or suggestion.
-Most of all don't give up! Figure out a system that works for you. Serve them tiny portions because they can always ask for more but you won't be throwing so much away. Good luck!
BabySteps 12:55 PM 02-07-2012
I watch only 1 child - from the ages of 6 weeks until they are 2 years old.

Right now I am caring for a 22 month old little boy Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. He will not eat any vegetables at all. He does like fruits though. He loves Hot Dogs.

I also have Fruitables Juice - it's a fruit & veggie juice. He loves that, and I give him that every time I have him. I also have some Yogurt Melts for toddlers, Lil Crunchies for toddlers, and I love that they now make Fruit & Veggie Melts.

That's all he will eat. He goes to a family home daycare on Tuesdays & Thursdays - I don't know how he eats over there.

PitterPatter 11:19 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a member but I logged out:

Lunchtime is so stressful for me. I am legally operating but unlicensed, so I do not get any kind of food subsidy. I pay for all of the food out of what I make, which is not a ton.

That being said, I believe that children need super healthy diets, well rounded meals, and that those meals should be all natural at the very least, and organic at best.

When I started my daycare, I bought that kind of food for all of the kids- organic and all natural. I have kids and I will only feed them organic food- I have done too much research and seen too many documentaries to know that conventional food is poison, the cause for cancer, and so many other illnesses.

So I served this healthy, wholesome food to the kids. Blueberries, organic yogurt, free range chicken, etc- very nutritious, healthy meals. I only buy organic milk too.

Here is the part I feel guilty about- none of the daycare kids eat what I serve. Am I crazy- who wouldn't want to eat fresh blueberries and raspberries? Home made sweet potato fries? I have had these kids for over a year now- the same kids. All they want to eat is goldfish, PB&J, mac and cheese, and junk food. All of the other delicious wholesome food Iprepare always goes to waste- so I stopped giving it to them. I make their PB&J (organic bread and pb and J), and I bought some conentional chicken nuggets (ick), and some canned mac and cheese and spaghettios, and they went crazy! So at leastthey are eating, but I feel terrible and like a failure for not exposing them to healthier food. They only like applesauce, no veggies at all. I have pureed the vegetable pulp leftover from my juicer and stuck it in some breads and muffins that I make so they have some nutrients. I feel responsible for their health, because I serve (mont of them) breakfast AND dinner. The other child I care for has doughnuts and chocolate milk everyday for breakfast-OMG.

As a result, I still feed my kids the organic food, and separate food for the daycare kids- my kids now want the crappy chicken nuggets. (Have you ever seen how a chicken nugget is made? If not, I suggest you youtube "Mcdonalds meat-deboner- you will never eat one again I assure you).

Anyway, I guess I am looking for validation. If the daycare kids will only eat things like canned spaghettios, p&J, etc, is it ok to let them have it?
I have kids just like that! Always 1 or 2 in the group that are so use to getting junk at home that's all they know. I mix it up and have some organic and some not. I don't serve things like spagettios at all but I will buy enriched pasta shapes (mine will spit out the whole grain pasta and get nothing from it) and make spagetti that way. I also jaz it all up as much as possible. Shapes cutters for sandwwiches and always add dipping sauce, ranch, ketchup with lunch or maple syrup or honey with breakfast. 1 boy here hated green beans! Now he dips them in ketchup and eats them all! When I serve fruit that they wont touch I squirt a dab of whipped cream on top and throw on a few color sprinkles. Anything to get them to at least try it. Now I admit I do have some foods they still wont touch but they have come a long way.

IMHO I say mix it up if you have to as long as the base foods are still nutritious!
REWALKER04 11:27 AM 01-27-2012
Try sneaking vegetables in there meals. For example make mac n cheese but put some peas in it. Or i have a friend that purees carrots and ads that to mac n cheese. It doesnt change the color or anything she showed me! I havent found one kid that doesnt like green beans. Just make sure you add some salt for taste! or make pizza with some vegies on it or with real tomatoes in the sauce there are ways to sneak those vegies in !
Heidi 11:44 AM 01-27-2012
I have an idea...

Get a white board and put it up in your entry area, and do a "today's menu", much like a restaurant might. Put the most desriptive, fancy names to everything.

Instead of toast with jelly, put "whole grain toast points with pureed strawberries". That's not super creative, but you get the idea.

You are an ORGANIC GOURMET daycare-probably the only one in town! :-)

This is for the parent's who question why their children are hungry.

Maybe you could even go so far as to having fancy lunches with white napkins on their laps, and teach them "bon apetite"...lol I did that with my group 10 years ago (another tiny WI town), and never told the parents. A couple asked me one day....ah...did my child say "Bon Apetite" at dinner last night?

YES, she sure did! We're high-class around here!
Tags:feeling guilty, healthy, junk food, organic food, stressed, subsidy
Reply Up