Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would You Handle This DCF?
PolkaTots 07:35 AM 12-20-2011
I have a great group of kiddos and parents...but have one family who think that the rules do not apply to them. The other families I have had for 2-3 years, but this one just enrolled last Summer. The mother works very part time, yet the child attends here full time so she can have "me time". The DCK is supposed to be here at 8am, but will arrive anywhere from 7-9am. It's become a regular occurance to have to keep reminding them of the rules...which they always seem to forget and break (I have a very clear 10 page handbook outlining them, send home reminders, include forgotten rules in my monthly newsletter, and verbally tell them) So today, the DCM arrives over an hour late with no notification, on her cell phone, and the child without a coat (it's 20 degrees and snowing right now), with a toy in one hand, and a half eaten poptart in the other...all of which are forbidden in my daycare. I did not address this when she was here partly because she was on the phone, and partly because I might have not said the nicest thing to her. I don't know, the child is great, and the parents are pretty nice, but am just so tired of them continuing to disrespect my business. Sure, I have had parents that have forgotten rules in the past, but usually when I address them, they are pretty good about not forgetting again. This DCF just doesn't seem to get it How would you handle this situation?
SandeeAR 07:55 AM 12-20-2011
I would not have taken the child. Phone or not. Turn kid back to her. No coat in 20 degrees. Even if you aren't going outside, what if you had a fire and HAD to go outside? Pop tart and toy. Nope, turned right back to parent with sorry these are 3 no nos of daycare. When you fix them, you can bring him back. Smile and close your mouth and stare.
Heidi 08:22 AM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I would not have taken the child. Phone or not. Turn kid back to her. No coat in 20 degrees. Even if you aren't going outside, what if you had a fire and HAD to go outside? Pop tart and toy. Nope, turned right back to parent with sorry these are 3 no nos of daycare. When you fix them, you can bring him back. Smile and close your mouth and stare.
Yep yep yep
Zoe 08:33 AM 12-20-2011
My stare is awesome. Gets things done without me having to say anything. Yep. No food, no toys from home, get a coat, then come back. Then get the ball in her court.
JenNJ 08:42 AM 12-20-2011
Honestly, it sounds like she needs a written warning for termination.

Dear DCF,

This is a termination warning. After repeated written and verbal reminders, you are still in violation of the following rules. In order to ensure your slot at XYZ Childcare, you must comply with all written rules and verbal instructions.

The following rules are the reason for this notice:

- Arrival time is 8am. Early arrival will be denied without approval and late arrivals will not be accepted without proper notice.

- Child must arrive each morning ready for the day. This includes being well rested, eating breakfast at home (no outside food permitted in XYZ Childcare), and wearing weather appropriate clothing. Failure to comply will result in your child being denied entrance to XYZ Childcare.

- No cell phone usage is permitted inside XYZ Childcare. Your child and I need your full attention at arrival and departure. Communication is important to ensure a healthy, happy day for your child.

Failure to comply to these and all other regulations as stated in the Parent Handbook will lead to termination from XYZ Childcare.

Thank you for your attention to these matters.
Blackcat31 09:11 AM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:

Dear DCF,

This is a termination warning. After repeated written and verbal reminders, you are still in violation of the following rules. In order to ensure your slot at XYZ Childcare, you must comply with all written rules and verbal instructions.

- Arrival time is 8am. Early arrival will be denied without approval and late arrivals will not be accepted without proper notice.

- Child must arrive each morning ready for the day. This includes being well rested, eating breakfast at home (no outside food permitted in XYZ Childcare), and wearing weather appropriate clothing. Failure to comply will result in your child being denied entrance to XYZ Childcare.

- No cell phone usage is permitted inside XYZ Childcare. Your child and I need your full attention at arrival and departure. Communication is important to ensure a healthy, happy day for your child.

Failure to comply to these and all other regulations as stated in the Parent Handbook will lead to termination from XYZ Childcare.

I agree with this but I would also speak DIRECTLY to the mom along with giving her thre written warning. NEVER rely solely on a note. Often times parents just skim it or do not even read it. You need to directly address your concerns and the consequences with her face to face.

You may have a clearly written handbook that outlines your rules and policies but it really means nothing if you do not enforce it....kwim? (I know, it IS the hardest part of this job but it is soooooo necessary. )
wdmmom 12:11 PM 12-20-2011
No coat?! That spells out to me that the child is not ready which is a violation of the rules. Toys...nope. Poptart...nope. Dropping off while on the phone...nope.

I would have asked where the coat was, I would have handed the mom the toy, and I would have given mom the opportunity to take the poptart with her or dispose of it.

Give her a termination warning and tell her that you are implementing a new policy:

If you are going to be more than 15 minutes beyond your designated drop off time and you don't call, there will be a $10 convenience fee charged in addition to your normal daily rate.

I started this because I had a family that was constantly dropping off late. As soon as I sent the note home, I never had another problem!

Attach consequences and rules to money. Usually it stops!
Christian Mother 05:00 PM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:

Dear DCF,

I like this...Also Blackcat31's too...maybe what you can do is schedule a meeting with the parent regarding these issues. If she would like a special drop in when ever rate...charge her more to be accommodating. But, also put your foot down on all your policies and let her know the consistences. If she doesn't follow them then let her know she will be expecting a term letter. In the past if I have a problem I address it right away and if that doesn't work at pick up or drop off then I call a meeting and if I find that parents are not being respectful of my rules then I term. Its about finding the good fit for you and your daycare. It doesn't matter if the child is good or parent is good. Everything needs to fall into place. Everyone needs to be happy. Right now it sound like the parents are perfectly happy continuing on the way they want.
texascare 07:28 AM 12-21-2011
Love how you put this! It is very professional and to the point! JenNJ
cheerfuldom 09:01 AM 12-21-2011
It doesn't matter how many policies you have if you are not actively enforcing them. I would have stood at the door with the child and waited for mom to get off the phone/tell her to get off in professional way. Give the child back to mom and tell her to come back when he has a coat with him and no toys/food. Then smile and say "see you in a little bit" and close the door. At this point, they are not going to follow any rules until you make it really inconvenient for them to disobey them.
Tags:disrespectful parents
Reply Up