Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Finally Got My First Fulltime DCG But......
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:49 PM 01-18-2012
So this DCG is 3 and I have been patiently waiting for her mom to get a full time teaching job in our town since October.

But she has been coming here as a drop in until now.

My worry is, is that I have been taking extra drop in kids just to make some extra money.

So do I still stick with these drop in kids and let the parents know about the FT girl or not mention her and when they call to see if I have room for the day, tell them yes or no?

I know i just read in an earlier post that Blackcat said full time trumps part time.

And I sure could use an extra $650 a month.
kidkair 03:27 PM 01-18-2012
I'm in about the same situation and yes full time trumps part time especially drop in! If you are completely full and cannot take the other drop ins at all on any day I would let them know. If you think you may be able to still take them occasionally then continue as you have been. I tell all my drop ins that it's a first come first serve basis and full timers come first for sure.
cheerfuldom 03:31 PM 01-18-2012
full time always trumps drop ins. You don't have to tell your families who is there...only if you have room for the day or not.
wdmmom 06:13 PM 01-18-2012
My parents don't have any idea who's in my care what day. I keep it that way so that kids don't get used to playing with the same child daily. I don't want a child to be happy about coming here as long as Tommy will be here.

I would continue with drop ins until you can't take any more drop ins. Might as well make a little extra money as you can.
Abigail 07:59 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
My parents don't have any idea who's in my care what day. I keep it that way so that kids don't get used to playing with the same child daily. I don't want a child to be happy about coming here as long as Tommy will be here.

I would continue with drop ins until you can't take any more drop ins. Might as well make a little extra money as you can.
Don't you have a sign-in sheet that parents see a list of names of kids who come for the day?
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:13 PM 01-18-2012
No I dont have a sign in sheet.

Never had the use for them, and im an un registered (private) day home.

I am allowed 6 kids NOT including my own.

I do give receipts to the parents who ask for them, the rest of the parents know they make too much to claim daycare.

But i do claim the ones who claim me for income tax, they have my SIN.
countrymom 07:09 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:

I do give receipts to the parents who ask for them, the rest of the parents know they make too much to claim daycare.

what do you mean that parents make too much. The parents are allowed to claim up to 7000 dollars for daycare, regardless of income. And they don't your sin number either. A reciept is just fine.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:39 AM 01-19-2012
How do they claim childcare with out my SIN?

Then everyone could write their own reciepts!
wdmmom 08:14 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Don't you have a sign-in sheet that parents see a list of names of kids who come for the day?
No. I work on contracted hours. I have my own planner I use to keep track of who's in attendance for the day and how many meals I serve each day.

Having clients sign in and out would mean longer arrivals and departures and more opportunity for kids to act up.

I like my way.
Meyou 08:16 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
what do you mean that parents make too much. The parents are allowed to claim up to 7000 dollars for daycare, regardless of income. And they don't your sin number either. A reciept is just fine.
According to Revenue Canada's guidelines for inhome childcare providers you are required to put your SIN on each childcare receipt. If you're ever audited this is how they verify your income.

Trust me, as someone who HAS been audited, you want to follow their guidelines. I'll find the link to the document and post it in a sec.

ETA: This one is a seperate publication they have:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/p134/p134-11e.pdf

And this one is the link to the RC website

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html
littlemissmuffet 08:27 AM 01-19-2012

Yes, in Canada we do have to provide our SIN... but we do NOT have to put in on the receipt (I refuse to). I have the parent's tax person call me and provide it over the phone. I have had way too many parent's lose receipts and I don't need my SIN floating around.

Secondly, in Canada, EVERYONE can claim daycare expences no matter how much they make. I don't recommend doing daycare "under the table" - it's illegal and not worth the HUGE repercussions of being caught.
Meyou 08:29 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Yes, in Canada we do have to provide our SIN... but we do NOT have to put in on the receipt (I refuse to). I have the parent's tax person call me and provide it over the phone. I have had way too many parent's lose receipts and I don't need my SIN floating around.

Secondly, in Canada, EVERYONE can claim daycare expences no matter how much they make. I don't recommend doing daycare "under the table" - it's illegal and not worth the HUGE repercussions of being caught.
That's a great idea! i'm starting this right now for my 2011 receipts. I agree with everything else you said.
daycare 08:30 AM 01-19-2012
Ft have priority over PT.

Drop in is on a first come first serve basis.

I have regular PT, they pay a weekly flat rate regardless if there or not...

I don't do drop in any more, but when I did it was on a first come first sever basis.... I guess you could say that about PT too... I would take someone who wants 3 days over 2 days....
Christian Mother 08:37 AM 01-19-2012
I'm not in Canada and all my parents claim me...side guidelines here in AZ. What I do is provide receipts each week for the parents with out my SIN on it. I have carbon copies for my records and at the end of the yr I print off a record for each parent that has all the information on it for the taxes. It gives the receipt $ the amount , date, any comments like if there was a late fee or overnight care or if they missed a day, also if cash or check where given. Then on there it has my name address and phone #. The tax lady will then call me to verify my SIN #. Each yr I do this for my parents. It's super easy and for my self and the parents.
SandeeAR 09:09 AM 01-19-2012

I am unlicensed, legally, by choice. However, I DO have a sign in sheet, as recommended by my CPA. That way if I am ever audited, I can prove how many hours each week I had kids. As a private, in home business, I stand a good chance at that audit.

Signing in takes my parents all of about 5 seconds each.

I don't use my SS number. I got a free EIN and give that to my parents. (link below)

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=98350,00.html
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:25 AM 01-19-2012
So what do i do about the parents that have never asked me for reciepts?

And if I made over my basic personal amount, will i owe the government now?

Im really confused now.
Meyou 09:31 AM 01-19-2012
I just give them to everyone and claim everything. What they do with it doesn't really matter.
wdmmom 09:56 AM 01-19-2012

Im really confused now.
By law, you are required to give DCP's a end of year receipt showing what they paid you in full along with an EIN or SSN.

What they choose to do with it is up to them. (Some parents can claim it, others can not.)

You are required by law to report any and all of your earnings to the IRS.
littlemissmuffet 10:49 AM 01-19-2012

Im really confused now.
You are required to give and end of year tax receipt - what the client does with it is their own choice.

You are operating "under the table" - and illegally.

If the government found out and audited you (and questioned your clients), you would indeed owe the government.
countrymom 10:55 AM 01-19-2012
How do they claim childcare with out my SIN?

Then everyone could write their own reciepts!
nope, as long as you have written proof you don't need to give anyone your sin number. When I right out my reciepts I write my company name, that its for daycare and the amount. I do double reciepts. They can write their own reciepts all they want, but when they get audited they are going to have to prove those reciepts. No one should ever ask you for your sin number. Its on the website for taxes too.
countrymom 10:58 AM 01-19-2012
sure you make over your amount, we all do, but once you start adding in all your deductions, it brings your total down. My tax guy said as long as you claim a gain every once in a while is fine, you cant claim a loss every year.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
By law, you are required to give DCP's a end of year receipt showing what they paid you in full along with an EIN or SSN.

What they choose to do with it is up to them. (Some parents can claim it, others can not.)

You are required by law to report any and all of your earnings to the IRS.
Just wanted to clarify that by law you are only required to give parents your EIN (or SS#) when requested (using a W-10). We are NOT required by law, to give them any form of receipt with yearly totals of what they paid to us. Most providers do as a courtesy or because it is easy if you use MMK, but it isn't required by law.

IMPO, if they want to get the deduction, it is their respnsibilty to keep track of the total, I do supply a written receipt with each payment made to me. but the only place I report my yearly totals to is the IRS.
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:18 PM 01-19-2012

Ok I have written up reciepts for all of my DC parents for 2011.

Just waiting for one mom to call me back and make sure our numbers match.

I talked to my neighbour who runs and unlicensed dayhome too, and she said she gives parents reciepts every month, no SIN.

She said what they do with them is their problem. But she claims her earnings and gets to write off about 40% of everything.

Ya'll had me soiling my shorts for a while.

A year ago I went to H&R block and the guy told me I could not claim anything, not a single thing.
I owed alot of money.

I called an accountant today and she helped me figure this all out. She said the H&R dude was probably lazy.

Thanks ladies
Tags:conflicting schedules, fulltime family, standard deduction, unregistered daycare
Reply Up