Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Turned My First Family Away
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:54 PM 04-24-2013
I'm not even open yet and I have already had to turn a family away. They wanted care for a 2 month old and a 4 yr old three days/week from 12-5 pm. I couldn't work with them because I don't want to provide care for children under 2 years old. My program is focused on preschoolers and basically a full day preschool. Plus their hours could have been a nightmare for nap time. With the children coming in just in time to eat and then lay down for nap, they would have been ready to play, not sleep.
But I felt bad telling them no. And what if I can't get enough children who are ages 2 and up, and I just turned away a family who would only attend 5 hours a day! I'm doubting my answer now and I already don't like being my own boss
frugalmama4 05:26 PM 04-24-2013
Don't second guest yourself...always listen to the "little voice in ur head".

I'm learning in this business you can't always have it "your way" I would love to only have 15mo-3yr old's all full time at full time rates...but its so hard in my area. I have NEW homes and centers popping up every week it seems offering dirty cheap rates at the longest hours...even the really good parents "who care's about the quality of care" won't pass up a deal around here.

I have said before I would never take an infant...well I have two now and just interviewed for two others 3mos and 6mos. Also for me its hard with siblings as the trend around here is multiple kids under 5yr...and I see a lot of home providers going over on numbers to accommodate

Good Luck to you!
cheerfuldom 08:21 PM 04-24-2013
If your goal is a full day preschool, you are right in not accommodating an infant. If you dont have to go outside of your business plan right now, dont. You could always pickup another baby later if you absolutely must....there is always demand for infant care, especially if a provider was guaranteeing that there would only be one infant accepted at a time. The hours needed would be a huge dealbreaker for me. You are almost guaranteed that those kids will not be ready for naps upon arrival. They may not even be ready to eat lunch if they are sleeping in late. You will end up with those two kids being up while the others are down and wanting to nap at 3pm when the others get up. I think if you take an infant at some point, work with your business hours and at least avoid that random drop off.
cheerfuldom 08:22 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Don't second guest yourself...always listen to the "little voice in ur head".

I'm learning in this business you can't always have it "your way" I would love to only have 15mo-3yr old's all full time at full time rates...but its so hard in my area. I have NEW homes and centers popping up every week it seems offering dirty cheap rates at the longest hours...even the really good parents "who care's about the quality of care" won't pass up a deal around here.

I have said before I would never take an infant...well I have two now and just interviewed for two others 3mos and 6mos. Also for me its hard with siblings as the trend around here is multiple kids under 5yr...and I see a lot of home providers going over on numbers to accommodate

Good Luck to you!
so you will have four infants plus other kids? What does your state allow regarding ratios? just curious. that sounds like a lot of babies!
frugalmama4 08:49 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
so you will have four infants plus other kids? What does your state allow regarding ratios? just curious. that sounds like a lot of babies!
Yea, four "infants" my state says birth-17 months is an infant. I can have up to 10 with a helper. For me because of my own four kids...taking only fours infants instead of eight "18 mo-3yr" is better $$$ and less work IMO.
Cradle2crayons 12:41 PM 04-25-2013
Yes that noon drop off can be a problem. I have a three year old whose mom works second shift. She has to be at work most days at 300 and some days at 200. Well we live in the middle of nowhere so she has to drop off at 1230 or 130 depending on schedule. So, in my contract the child has to be fed and ready to go into nap time at drop off. She goes quietly to her mat and goes right to sleep. She takes the full rest of the nap and they all get up together. It works great but mom does it right and goes by the rules. However, in other circumstances it could be a disaster
Reply Up