Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ocd - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
booroo 01:41 PM 07-26-2010
I have a daycare child that will be starting again in August when school starts.

Anyway mom told me today that he has OCD with germs.... But Im trying to figure this out.... The boy spends all his time at the pool swimming, walking bare foot on that nasty bathroom floor or over to the ice cream shop for ice cream, he picks candy up off the street durning parades and eats it.... he is always playing with cars in the dirt..... playing on the slide and public play grounds.

So Im wondering if he really has it...does anyone know about OCD and germs.... I know my family member that has it, wont touch anything, and will not eat out, and sitting outside is like NO....

Anyway, I also terminated the other boy I was watching because he has been here since July 14th, and I havent heard a word fromt he mom... I sent her a bill and a termination notice....

So I have no income until school starts.... I really need to find daycare kids again.
Chickenhauler 01:45 PM 07-26-2010
How much you want to bet that it's not the child, but the mother who has some germaphobe issues?
professionalmom 01:49 PM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
How much you want to bet that it's not the child, but the mother who has some germaphobe issues?
Yep, just what I was thinking.
booroo 03:40 PM 07-26-2010

I don't think so; she is always out in public, I have seen her wipe her kids nose with her hand, I have seen her share her drink with her kids ( that's just nasty right there)... I don't know, I think the mom has come up with his so that she can collect ssi, she already gets it for the little girl!
Chickenhauler 04:56 PM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
I don't think so; she is always out in public, I have seen her wipe her kids nose with her hand, I have seen her share her drink with her kids ( that's just nasty right there)... I don't know, I think the mom has come up with his so that she can collect ssi, she already gets it for the little girl!
Aha, one more piece to the puzzle!
professionalmom 05:41 PM 07-26-2010
Aha, one more piece to the puzzle!
Seriously, as I read the previous post about the SSI, I was also saying, "Ahhh" just like you!
QualiTcare 11:12 PM 07-26-2010
i dunno, i think diagnosing a little kid with OCD is slightly overboard. my son when he was 2-3 used to start crying (i'm talking the crying where you think they're in pain kind of cry) when he'd get his shirt wet or get food on it. i didn't understand it until i was telling him it was okay and didn't matter and he said, "my daddy will be mad at me!"

i had just never realized how big of an impact he had, but my husband would always be so worried about the kids not getting things on their clothes and looking nice when we were out, he had picked up on it.

i had a major talk with him about it afterward. he still thinks i'm "too laid back" and i think he's too uptight - but that's where it stemmed from. my son would get ketchup on his hands and start freaking out. if he was with me, i'd wipe them off with a napkin - if he got it on his shirt - WHO CARES! his dad would hold his hands in the air all the way to the bathroom sink telling him not to get it on his clothes. i was like uhh i'm the one that washes his clothes anyway so why does it matter?!

it sounds goofy, but that was the case. he would play in sand and then hold his hands out like he was infected with a contagious disease.

this kid you're talking about has picked this up from someone. it may not be the mom (cus i'd be the mom wiping snot with my hand like u mentioned) but it could be his dad or grandma. if someone important in their lives has a strong reaction to "messes" they will remember it.

i also share drinks with my kids - i had no idea people thought that was nasty!
booroo 05:25 AM 07-27-2010
This boy 8, and where he has probably picked it up from some o e it doesn't make him OCD..... I have seen OCD in a family member and in my findings this boy does not have it... He could worried yes, my dd gets that way; she is very anal about thing andsge us 8, dressed nicely, hair perfect, the outfit must match completely, oh and sock, ugg the seams have to run just right over the toes, if the sock moves, she fixes it right away!!! I did not create this, her grandma dud ( she babysat for us and my dd had go be perfect, thank god we left that), anyway i do t think it's OCD, just corks that we have to iron out of her!!

As for sharing my drink.... I can't do it, I just can't, that's my anal thing.... The thought of ther spit in my drink makes me gag..

But I see where u are coming for!!
Tags:germs, ocd
Reply Up