Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Name Ideas For Something!!
coolconfidentme 03:51 AM 06-26-2014
This has nothing to do with DC, but I need some help.

1st..., I own an old county jail. I know its weird. I had my final meeting at City Hall & I have the blessing from the local powers that be. I can have a HAUNTED HOUSE at my JAIL!! I'm leaving all the cells/bars intact & I created a maze thought the entire jail, including the basement. I'm going for realism without the monster boo factor. I will have 2 types of tours. 6-10pm with low grade lighting & 10-2am with lights out. Yes, creepy things happen there & it has a deep history. It was built in the 30s btw.

I'm open to suggestions for a name. I need to come up with something soon. Anybody have a cleaver one?
NightOwl 04:37 AM 06-26-2014
Wow! How friggin cool is THAT??
Do you want a name, in general, for the property? Or you're specifically looking for haunted type names?

Purgatory, where prisoners go in but they never come out. Muahahahahaha!! Lol.
starz0123 04:57 AM 06-26-2014
I'm an Aussie I have no idea how county jails work do they just close it and it ceases to operate or do they still have one just new building ... If it ceased to operate I would try to keep its name most people don't remember business names over time potential future visitors would find it easy to find if you kept original name plus respecting/acknowledging towns history most people in your town/surrounding area probably already use the same name for it
hope 05:08 AM 06-26-2014
I don't have any name suggestions but wanted to say that sounds like a idea! I love spooky things. A tour like that sounds wonderful. Hopefully you can do all year round!
coolconfidentme 05:11 AM 06-26-2014
The county built a new jail unfortunately they outgrew the size of this one. It's 10,000 sq ft. I bought it 17 years ago cuz I though it was cool. I had no idea what to do with it. The main cell block consist of 8 cells, lol. It also has 3 cells in the drunk tank, 3 solitary confident cells & 1 padded room. A ton of other rooms too, it's very compartmentalized. It's old, eerie, brick walls & metal bar everywhere.

We actually lived in the sheriff's quarters while my son was in middle school & high school so he could get back/forth to events in town/school. I'm not going to lie.., you hear things.

I like purgatory.., it's evil sounding.
Blackcat31 05:27 AM 06-26-2014
Oooh, you could invite people to the tours with some of these funny advertising lines....I them stole from the haunted house tours we have in my community and altered them a bit.

Ours is an old house that does something similar. Mild tours until 10PM and then all hell breaks loose after that... Ours is called "Scream in the Night"

NightOwl 05:31 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oooh, you could invite people to the tours with some of these funny advertising lines....I them stole from the haunted house tours we have in my community and altered them a bit.

Ours is an old house that does something similar. Mild tours until 10PM and then all hell breaks loose after that... Ours is called "Scream in the Night"
  • Come "cell-ebrate" our ghostly site!
  • Just don't scream too loud or you'll be put in solitary confinement!
  • Don't let fear keep you prisoner!
  • Confine your fears or be sentenced to fright the whole night!
  • Ghosts and goblins, vampires and zombies.....Let Sheriff Frank N. Stein keep you safe
  • Come for the scare....if you dare!
sheriff frank n. stein
Unregistered 05:57 AM 06-26-2014
I just have to say how much I love your typo: cleaver (wide-bladed knife)
Maybe you can use that in some way.
NightOwl 06:16 AM 06-26-2014
When you think about it, jail is kind of a purgatory! You can't leave until a higher power says you can. Lol.
CedarCreek 06:37 AM 06-26-2014
That is so cool!!

I can never get my kids to go through haunted houses but who can blame them?

I'm thinking "The House of Shocks and Shackles" Too cheesy?
coolconfidentme 07:03 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just have to say how much I love your typo: cleaver (wide-bladed knife)
Maybe you can use that in some way.
That's funny! I didn't know I did that. With kids under foot is hard to proof read, lol.
Childminder 07:11 AM 06-26-2014
The Gated Community
Prison Break
Destiny
Breakoutta
Iron Bar Hotel
Country Club
Maximum Security
Nightmare Lockup
midaycare 07:16 AM 06-26-2014
That is so weird and cool at the same time. We all get free passes, right?

I love the ideas posted. People will come from all over for your HH!
Unregistered 07:32 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
That's funny! I didn't know I did that. With kids under foot is hard to proof read, lol.
It would fit well with some of the other suggestions. I am not cleaver enough to come up with something, but maybe someone else can.
coolconfidentme 09:32 AM 06-26-2014
The state fire marshal called me as I was serving lunch today. He wanted to know the name of the haunted house & could we run over there to do a walk though. (He was in town having lunch with the local building inspector.) I told him no name yet & I run a 24 hr daycare & cannot just go at a moment's notice during the day. I'm not sure what job he thought I had where I could just walk out the door, but I wanna sign up for it!!
coolconfidentme 09:34 AM 06-26-2014
cell block.jpg Here is a pic I took yesterday of part of the main cell block.
Attached:
Unregistered 09:37 AM 06-26-2014
The Slammer Haunted Jail
NightOwl 09:43 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Attachment 2732 Here is a pic I took yesterday of part of the main cell block.
Oh HELL to the NO! That's so creepy. I'm sticking with purgatory!
craftymissbeth 09:45 AM 06-26-2014
I wish I could go! That looks so creepy!
CedarCreek 09:47 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The Slammer Haunted Jail
That's a good one!

That picture looks so creepy! It's perfect!
coolconfidentme 10:11 AM 06-26-2014
I have more on my computer at home. I plan on having the maze into the basement that will have makeshift morgue & electric chair room. It will then go underground in a dug out tunnel (so to speak) with bones laying around. MAJOR CREEP-FEST!!

What should I charge???
coolconfidentme 10:14 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

• Come "cell-ebrate" our ghostly site!
  • Just don't scream too loud or you'll be put in solitary confinement!
  • Don't let fear keep you prisoner!
  • Confine your fears or be sentenced to fright the whole night!
  • Ghosts and goblins, vampires and zombies.....Let Sheriff Frank N. Stein keep you safe
  • Come for the scare....if you dare!
These are good!!!
NightOwl 10:20 AM 06-26-2014
Depends on how much time it will take to go thru the whole thing. Do you have an estimate?
coolconfidentme 10:37 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Depends on how much time it will take to go thru the whole thing. Do you have an estimate?
Walking though without going in the *small spaces* or tunnel takes about 10-12 minutes. We are guessing between 20-30 minutes. I researched & average time is 15-20 minutes for a good haunted house.

I'm trying to go for realism without ANY predictability. LIKE THIS: You start out in room & you go through this wall where you see the actual plumbing behind the wall. You then crawl through a small opening & you are in a dark cell. Creepy stuff like that everywhere.
NightOwl 11:22 AM 06-26-2014
Around here, a good haunted house that lasts 20ish minutes, and has some severe creepy power, costs $15 to $20. But it has to be GOOD to warrant a $20 charge.
craftymissbeth 11:24 AM 06-26-2014
Are you going to have any creepy haunted house-y things? Like monsters or typical haunted house stuff?

or is it just a walk through type thing with limited lighting?
CedarCreek 11:27 AM 06-26-2014
I agree, I think what you charge is going to depend on what you have.

Maybe some "ghosts" dressed as prisoners?
coolconfidentme 11:37 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Are you going to have any creepy haunted house-y things? Like monsters or typical haunted house stuff?

or is it just a walk through type thing with limited lighting?
No fake monsters or freddie krueger thing. I will have prison guards & inmates. More like the old Scared Straight (1978) type of scare.
coolconfidentme 11:38 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Around here, a good haunted house that lasts 20ish minutes, and has some severe creepy power, costs $15 to $20. But it has to be GOOD to warrant a $20 charge.
Humm..., a bark-yard haunted house is about $15 here.
Reply Up