Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>TMI Ok Let's Be Real. Provider Potty Break
mduck 03:49 PM 04-27-2015
I've heard you all say that you just have to hold it until nap time or till the kids go home. BUT I KNOW there have got to be times when you just gotta go NOW. And sometimes it's not in zip-zan-doo-quickaroo time either. What in the world do you do? What does the regs say to do? Or do they just never address it because the obvious answer is that you simply can't watch the children while in the wc with the door closed, and there is no slution to that answer, so just pretend it isn't an issue?
Thriftylady 03:53 PM 04-27-2015
I use my ears, and tell the kids exactly what I expect when I am out of the room. My little one will stand at the bathroom door crying.
BumbleBee 03:56 PM 04-27-2015
I go when I have to go. The bathroom is right by the main play area. I close the gates to the kitchen/front door area if they're open and the kids continue playing. I can hear what they're doing, just like when I make lunch I can hear what they're up to by the sound of the different toys.

No idea what regs say though.
Josiegirl 04:22 PM 04-27-2015
As long as I can see them or hear them at all times.....and it's all about timing. I try to time it when they're having a really good time playing together so there's less chance of things erupting but then there are no guarantees, right?
Unregistered 04:26 PM 04-27-2015
I either leave them in the play room the bathroom is just down the hall and gate off the kitchen. Or I use the bathroom after we've done bathroom break when they are in the hall way.
Crazy8 04:40 PM 04-27-2015
my playroom is gated on both sides, bathroom is right in the hallway, can even see thru the crack in the door if I need to, I can definitely hear everything they say/do. Our regulations do not say anything about potty breaks!
Gemma 05:05 PM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by mduck:
I've heard you all say that you just have to hold it until nap time or till the kids go home. BUT I KNOW there have got to be times when you just gotta go NOW. And sometimes it's not in zip-zan-doo-quickaroo time either. What in the world do you do? What does the regs say to do? Or do they just never address it because the obvious answer is that you simply can't watch the children while in the wc with the door closed, and there is no slution to that answer, so just pretend it isn't an issue?
I don't have a crazy bunch of kids, I go when I need to go! ...I make sure all the kids have something to keep them busy and I excuse myself for a couple of minutes!
spedmommy4 07:09 PM 04-27-2015
Sometimes it's a little like this picture.
Attached: image.jpg (83.1 KB) 
mamamanda 07:35 PM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Hahaha This is my house exactly!They knock, they cry, they slip toys & stickers to me under the door...There is no sanctuary, but when nature calls you must answer it. At least I know where they all are & what they're doing!
childcaremom 01:35 AM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
So true

My group is older this time so I just go when I need to. Make sure they are all occupied and playing nicely and go as quick as I can.

When my group was younger it was a little trickier and I either had to hold it or wait. And cut down on liquids
NightOwl 05:26 AM 04-28-2015
I lock the front door and the kitchen is gated off, then I dash in. I also use my ears and yell directions from the potty, if necessary. But they usually end up following me and I get the whole fingers under the door thing, so I know exactly where they are.
kitykids3 06:57 AM 04-28-2015
My bathroom is in the back. I run back there, leave the door open so I can hear, and quickly do what I need to do. Regs say sight OR sound. Youngstar says leaving them no more than 2 minutes.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 04-28-2015
If I have to go, I go.

There is no special plan or 5 step procedure or secret formula.

If I have to go, I go.

None of my kids require constant or continual supervision so there is no chaos the minute I am physically out of the room.
mduck 07:22 AM 04-28-2015
I wish I could say mine are ok when I step out but.....we've got climbing and all sorts of mischief.

But maybe I'm just not normal. I can be in there for 15 mins easy. I put up a gate to block my two littles in the hallway where the bathroom is located and then crack the door. I don't know how weirded out by this a daycare parent might be BUT what other solution could they provide in a situation like this?

I mean even if I am NOT in the rest room, I turn around to find my dck climbing.
crazydaycarelady 07:50 AM 04-28-2015
I go when I need to go. The bathroom is right next to the dc room. I close the door and usually spend the whole time saying "Don't open the door" and "Stay away from the door," but you gotta do what you gotta do. Bathroom breaks are a reality.
Play Care 09:59 AM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by mduck:
I wish I could say mine are ok when I step out but.....we've got climbing and all sorts of mischief.

But maybe I'm just not normal. I can be in there for 15 mins easy. I put up a gate to block my two littles in the hallway where the bathroom is located and then crack the door. I don't know how weirded out by this a daycare parent might be BUT what other solution could they provide in a situation like this?

I mean even if I am NOT in the rest room, I turn around to find my dck climbing.
I'm very much like Blackcat, buuut, it also depends on the kids in my care.

When I have younger kids (or challenging ones ) they are "put up" for safety. So infants might go in the play yard or PNP (which I only use for sleeping typically but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...) I put older kids at the table (buckled into booster seats) with an activity (I keep table activities set aside just for these types of things) and older kids can, depending on their level of maturity/trust, stay where they are. I'm always assesing my kids and their ability before I get caught with my pants down, so to speak

But I've always maintained that if a child is so challenging (ie: a 4 year old that gets into things while my back might be turned, etc) that I can't even take a wee, then that child is a not a good fit for my day care. I'll be darned if I start having health issues from holding off on using the bathroom due to poor behavior from my kiddos.
daycarediva 03:26 PM 04-28-2015
I have IBS, tmi, but that being said, all of my kids chose ONE thing to do (seated activity) and all are required to STAY at the table. I have one challenging dude I put in the hallway. He talks constantly to himself bout what he/others are doing, so at least I know what he's up to. I say "Miss X has a potty emergency, pick your activity please" and they grab something and sit.
Unregistered 11:24 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If I have to go, I go.

If I have to go, I go.

None of my kids require constant or continual supervision so there is no chaos the minute I am physically out of the room.
This.
melilley 11:34 AM 05-01-2015
When I need to go, I go! Plus, I'm almost 27 weeks pregnant and can't hold it...ever. I've managed to learn how to speed pee, or do the other..lol I usually just leave the door cracked and have the older kids in the play room or sitting at the table.
Luna 06:19 PM 05-01-2015
Am I the only one who takes littles into the bathroom with me? I do things differently depending on who I have in care, but my dcb1.5 comes in with me. He sits on the step stool and looks at a book and talks to himself, or to me. He doesn't seem at all interested in what I'm doing. Sometimes I've got 2 little guys in there with me and they just talk to each other.
AuntTami 07:58 PM 05-02-2015
Originally Posted by Luna:
Am I the only one who takes littles into the bathroom with me? I do things differently depending on who I have in care, but my dcb1.5 comes in with me. He sits on the step stool and looks at a book and talks to himself, or to me. He doesn't seem at all interested in what I'm doing. Sometimes I've got 2 little guys in there with me and they just talk to each other.
Being unlicensed, I do this also. I put up a shower rod and curtain in my bathroom since its small and I pull it closed, sit them on the floor facing the door and have them play with a toy or read a book. But all of my kids are still very young and I some times cannot leave them alone for as long as I need to be away. I just had my gall bladder removed so I get a "stomach ache" about 15 times a day so It's just safer to have them in with me I gues.
Fiddlesticks 08:18 PM 05-02-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If I have to go, I go.

If I have to go, I go.

Ditto. I have 8 children aged 7 months to 3 1/2, I don't even say anything, I just go and come back. Just like I do when I change a diaper, answer the phone, make lunch, put a baby up in his/her crib, get a baby out of his/her crib.... I can hear the children still, they can hear me if I call out to them, they're fine.
Play Care 05:29 AM 05-04-2015
Originally Posted by Luna:
No I don't, nor would I ever consider it. My line with the kids is that the bathroom is a "one at a time" place. Again, kids that are too little to be on their own for a moment would be "put up" for safety. I have toys reserved just for these times. I am simply not comfortable with kids being in the bathroom with me or potentially seeing something they should not. Many a provider has gone to jail for less.
bklsmum 05:41 AM 05-04-2015
I am fortunate enough to have my almost 19 year old, almost 17 year old and just turned 12 year old home pretty much all the time during the day since my son does his college classes this term online and my daughters are home schooled so there are plenty of eyes here when nature calls.
CraftyMom 06:02 AM 05-04-2015
I do not hold it. If I have to go I go. They don't even realize I'm not there and just continue playing.
AmyKidsCo 09:06 AM 05-04-2015
WI rules for FCC are "within sight OR sound" so I go when I need to go. Except I try to time it to avoid drop off & pick up because the bathroom is near my entry.
renodeb 10:39 AM 05-05-2015
I go when I have to go. The bathroom is right around the play area. Not sure what regs say but my social worker says to just run and use the restroom when we need to.
deb
Tags:potty breaks
Reply Up