Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth Diapers
happymom 03:08 PM 09-16-2015
How many of you allow them?
For those that use them, how do you do it to keep within licensing requirements?

My daycare is trying to work with me to come up with a solution, they want to package EACH diaper it its own zip lock and place it outside next to the front door. It honestly makes me feel sad to picture my diapers outside, in the rain/snow/sun just discarded next to the door for me to collect and take home in the evening.

R430-100-23 Diapering
If cloth diaperes are used:
(1) they shall not be rinsed at the center;and
(b) after a diaper change, the caregiver shall place the cloth diaper directly into a leak proof container that is inaccessible to children and labeled with the child's name, or a leak proof diapering service container.

Am I insane to ask to provide a container like this that I can take home each day and wash/sanitize? This seems it would be much less work than the caregiver baggy-ing up each diaper and placing it outside (and more enviornmentally friendly).

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Am I being a huge pain? Am I horrible for not just using disposable to make things easier?
Blackcat31 03:16 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by happymom:
How many of you allow them?
For those that use them, how do you do it to keep within licensing requirements?

My daycare is trying to work with me to come up with a solution, they want to package EACH diaper it its own zip lock and place it outside next to the front door. It honestly makes me feel sad to picture my diapers outside, in the rain/snow/sun just discarded next to the door for me to collect and take home in the evening.

R430-100-23 Diapering
If cloth diaperes are used:
(1) they shall not be rinsed at the center;and
(b) after a diaper change, the caregiver shall place the cloth diaper directly into a leak proof container that is inaccessible to children and labeled with the child's name, or a leak proof diapering service container.

Am I insane to ask to provide a container like this that I can take home each day and wash/sanitize? This seems it would be much less work than the caregiver baggy-ing up each diaper and placing it outside (and more enviornmentally friendly).

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Am I being a huge pain? Am I horrible for not just using disposable to make things easier?
I allow and encourage the use of cloth diapers.

I have the same licensing rules as above.

I have the parent supply a wet bag that seals. After each change I put the diaper in the wet bag. It holds more than one.

My parent has small wet bags just for poo diapers and has recently started including them so I can put the poo ones in the smaller bags so she doesn't get "surprised" when emptying the wet bag at night.

I have zero issues with doing any of that. It's not hard and it's not a big deal.

I don't make the wet bag stay outside as it seals and therefore does not smell anymore than my normal regular garbage does.
I think putting them outside is sort of overboard. and the bagging "EACH" diaper in a separate bag thing... that's extreme in my honest opinion.
Thriftylady 03:23 PM 09-16-2015
I would ask you to supply the bags, I wouldn't put them outside though.
happymom 03:23 PM 09-16-2015
Thank you.

My first son was cloth diapered that way (one zipping wet bag to accomodate all diapers that was kept inside --- occasionally put on the back porch if there was an extra smelly one).

Do you think they are just interpreting the rules incorrectly? Or trying to discourage me from using cloth?
laundrymom 03:43 PM 09-16-2015
I have them bring a wet bag and if it's a poopy I stick in a grocery sack before putting in wet bag. Then I put wet bag in a backpack parents supply.
No hassles.
Annalee 03:48 PM 09-16-2015
I have a client with cloth diapers as well and a bag to put them in. She also brings homemade wipes. The diapers are very cool.. Just like pampers but made out of cloth...no major issues with them. The wipes are made out of thin flannel and she brings them in plastic sandwich container.
Controlled Chaos 03:49 PM 09-16-2015
I had a family use the wet bag recently BUT it did smell. It honestly discouraged me from accepting cloth in the future, because the smell was overwhelming (ammonia like) at times.
happymom 03:51 PM 09-16-2015
Thank you for all of the responses!

My old daycare had zero problems with them (except at one point they started to leak, turns out a waterproof liner needed replacing and I was unaware) but she was also unlicensed so didn't have strict guidelines to follow.

I am feeling like my provider is misinterpreting the rules, but I don't know how to get around it without saying "you're wrong! we CAN do this, just work with me!"
happymom 03:54 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I had a family use the wet bag recently BUT it did smell. It honestly discouraged me from accepting cloth in the future, because the smell was overwhelming (ammonia like) at times.
Your family needs to strip their diapers! Ammonia build up is very common in cloth diapers, but it is easily remedied. Boiling (clean) diapers, bleaching them, or soaking them in ammonia remover for fish tanks (overnight in a washer or bathtub) will do the trick. It must be done every 4-6 months, it is part of cloth diaper maintainance. Not all materials can be boiled (PUL can not so make sure they check)
mommyneedsadayoff 04:17 PM 09-16-2015
I do cloth for one of mine. The wet bag doesn't mask poop smell, though, so I set it on my back porch if necessary. I only care for a few, though, so a daycare center may have different rules. (Just read about your daycare experience with your child being hurt). A large center may be less accomodating.
mommyneedsadayoff 04:20 PM 09-16-2015
Just to add, I am not sure why you would be sad if they setstinky diapers outside? They are diapers, not your baby, so I am confused why that is bad? I would rather they put them out, then know my kids are in a room with poop smell all day. I think it is great they are working with you...
childcaremom 05:24 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Just to add, I am not sure why you would be sad if they setstinky diapers outside? They are diapers, not your baby, so I am confused why that is bad? I would rather they put them out, then know my kids are in a room with poop smell all day. I think it is great they are working with you...

I cd and ran my own cd business. I do accept cd and prefer them.

I have, and do, stick one wet bag outside b/c the diapers stink. Yes, they need to be stripped. But they are diapers and will survive outside for one day. They have other diapers to keep them company.
Blackcat31 05:28 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
. They have other diapers to keep them company.

...as for leaving them outside... My DCM seems to be pretty attached to hers too and talks about collecting specific prints and colors so.....
happymom 05:44 PM 09-16-2015
They would always be left outside, every day. Right now if a child has an accident the child's clothing is placed in a grocery bag and set outside the front door right where parents drop off and pick up kids. Something about my child's dirty diapers always being in this location doesn't sit well with me.
childcaremom 05:46 PM 09-16-2015
They would always be left outside, every day. Right now if a child has an accident the child's clothing is placed in a grocery bag and set outside the front door right where parents drop off and pick up kids. Something about my child's dirty diapers always being in this location doesn't sit well with me.
Have you asked them about this? Maybe that's just their policy?

I put soiled clothing outside, too ... but my entrance way is really tiny and the smell just would sit.
BabyMonkeys 05:51 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I allow and encourage the use of cloth diapers.

I have the same licensing rules as above.

I have the parent supply a wet bag that seals. After each change I put the diaper in the wet bag. It holds more than one.

My parent has small wet bags just for poo diapers and has recently started including them so I can put the poo ones in the smaller bags so she doesn't get "surprised" when emptying the wet bag at night.

I have zero issues with doing any of that. It's not hard and it's not a big deal.

I don't make the wet bag stay outside as it seals and therefore does not smell anymore than my normal regular garbage does.
I think putting them outside is sort of overboard. and the bagging "EACH" diaper in a separate bag thing... that's extreme in my honest opinion.
I do the exact same thing.
Unregistered 06:12 PM 09-16-2015
My I just have smallish totes with seal able lids and labeled to which kid it goes with(color coded too. Dcm or dcd just take home a tote and drop off the one from previous day I don't do any extra work. poo goes in the bag( grocery bag, dog poo bag, dirty bad they all work) the rest goes in the tote. Since they seal No smell, and they are in the closet away from small hands. Those things are pricey and I would feel bad if one got thrown in the trash.
They can work at daycare, I wonder if she is over thinking it.
littletots 06:19 PM 09-16-2015
My military licensed doesn't allow cloth diapers.
Blackcat31 06:23 PM 09-16-2015
I still think that leaving them outside is odd but I totally understand an in home provider putting them outside. Its her home. OP uses a center. I think they should be equipped enough to manage soiled clothing and cloth diapers in a sanitary way inside. Its not really very "welcoming" to those entering. lol!
happymom 06:28 PM 09-16-2015
I think they don't want to tell me they can accommodate until they meet with licensing. They asked me to bring in the diapers/wet bag so they can see if it is approved. I feel like dirty diapers sitting in the sun is a recipe for bad stinkies, but maybe it won't be too bad.

I am really not down with sealing each diaper in a ziplock bag, I will find a new daycare or switch to disposables, that's just so gross to me. Lol
happymom 06:30 PM 09-16-2015
Sorry I am mobile and can't figure out how to quote, but blackcat it it on the spot! Even if they had a door that led to somewhere concealed inside the center, a place with a cover (like a porch) so stuff wasn't getting rained/snowed on and things could not be stolen.

They tried to assure me that no one would steal soiled diapers/clothing but I don't think they understand the value in cloth diapers. A stash I would send to daycare each day is worth over $100!
pandamom 08:06 PM 09-16-2015
I work in a NAEYC center. We allow cloth diapers with a doctors note stating child cannot use disposables. Cloth diapers can only be all in ones or pockets that are already stuffed. Must have same amount of steps as a disposable. Each soiled cloth diaper must go into a ziploc bag which is parent provided.

We do the ziploc bags because anything that has child waste is considered a biohazard. Childs name is put on the bag and placed out of children's reach. You don't know what a child may or may not have.

For bowel movement cloth diapers, we aren't allowed to handle the poop by scraping it into a toilet. It must all go into the bag.

In 3 years I've worked for he center, I have not encountered one cloth diaper. I did briefly use cloth diapers with my twins
Willow 08:13 PM 09-16-2015
I would be willing to bet they've never heard of a wet bag, or what one is used for. I'd show them how much easier it would be going that route and hope it was just an issue of educating them (hanging on the back of the bathroom door would work great)

My DCM seems to be pretty attached to hers too and talks about collecting specific prints and colors so.....
Each of my boys has their own stash. Took me the better part of a year to amass. I was a whale, what else was there to do with all my free time??! Several will be going in their box of baby crap for me.....er....them.......to keep. I completely own how insane that sounds
childcaremom 12:54 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by Willow:
I would be willing to bet they've never heard of a wet bag, or what one is used for. I'd show them how much easier it would be going that route and hope it was just an issue of educating them (hanging on the back of the bathroom door would work great)

Each of my boys has their own stash. Took me the better part of a year to amass. I was a whale, what else was there to do with all my free time??! Several will be going in their box of baby crap for me.....er....them.......to keep. I completely own how insane that sounds
I remember when HC was first getting started.... and goodmamas were new. All the stalkers for that fluff Ha. Good times
Sugaree 05:04 AM 09-17-2015
I would be concerned about my diapers being stolen if they were sitting on a front porch. A back porch I might not mind so much, especially if the backyard was fenced in.
Sugaree 05:08 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
My military licensed doesn't allow cloth diapers.
The center my son is at doesn't either. Apparently, it's Army policy to not allow them unless prescribed by a doctor. But then they make you jump through all kinds of hoops. We had an issue with wipes when he first started. They caused him to get horrible rashes. His doctor wrote a note that he should use cloth or paper wipes with plain water only, but my center's command decided that the note wasn't good enough. We finally found a brand of wipes that works for him, so it's not a thing anymore.
Sugaree 05:12 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I remember when HC was first getting started.... and goodmamas were new. All the stalkers for that fluff Ha. Good times
I have several Tangerine Baby and Bagshot Row Bamboo diapers. I would cut someone who tried to steal them. Okay, maybe not, but I wouldn't be pleased. These are very limited edition prints that usually sell out less than a minute after being released.
childcaremom 05:17 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
I have several Tangerine Baby and Bagshot Row Bamboo diapers. I would cut someone who tried to steal them. Okay, maybe not, but I wouldn't be pleased. These are very limited edition prints that usually sell out less than a minute after being released.

I'm out of the cd loop now but I remember Bagshot Row Bamboo.
Second Home 05:50 AM 09-17-2015
Seems like I am in the minority , I don't accept cloth diapers.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 09-17-2015

Yes, this is how my DCM is about them too... She recently told me about ordering 3 of one specific print hoping to get one that had the picture (this one was a mermaid one I think) in a specific spot on the tush...

Says certain ones that have the print/pattern "just right" are worth more.

I have NO clue as my own kiddos are a lot older and cloth diapering was not so common then but I guess I can say I am familiar with the craze it's caused...

I guess there could be worse things parents are obsessed with so I'm not gonna knock her for it. Plus some of the diapers are SUPER cute!!!!

These are the ones my daycare mom has been obsessed with lately:
http://www.bumgenius.com/gallery/genius-series/
Play Care 07:24 AM 09-17-2015
I would accept them but in 11 years no one has.

I would probably bag them and leave the outside as well but discreetly.

As for stealing - I live up on a big hill. The walk is a killer for me and I'm in great health/shape. If someone wants to walk their butt up my driveway just to steal diapers (and probably poo ones at that!) they are welcome to them.
Controlled Chaos 07:51 AM 09-17-2015
Your family needs to strip their diapers! Ammonia build up is very common in cloth diapers, but it is easily remedied. Boiling (clean) diapers, bleaching them, or soaking them in ammonia remover for fish tanks (overnight in a washer or bathtub) will do the trick. It must be done every 4-6 months, it is part of cloth diaper maintainance. Not all materials can be boiled (PUL can not so make sure they check)
Thank for the tip. Their new baby starts in November, hopefully they will take better care of their diapers this time!
Willow 08:21 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Thank for the tip. Their new baby starts in November, hopefully they will take better care of their diapers this time!

Ammonia build up will actually cause painful burns. I'd bet money on "organic detergents" being at the root of it.

See if she'd be open to checking out Fluff Love University (on the net or fb) to sort out a new wash routine. If she won't, as much as I love cloth I would stop accepting it. Not only does it STINK but it's bad news for the wearer as well.

http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/t...aper-problems/

happymom - the only time one should need to strip their diapers is if they have very hard water and aren't using softeners, or if they've been bought used and need to be sanitized. If one has a good wash routine, ammonia should never become a problem for the lifetime of the diapers!
Willow 08:25 AM 09-17-2015

Everyone was losing their mind over "Jules" when I first started.

That was my first introduction to the dark side, it was frightening
nannyde 08:59 AM 09-17-2015
Thank you for all of the responses!

My old daycare had zero problems with them (except at one point they started to leak, turns out a waterproof liner needed replacing and I was unaware) but she was also unlicensed so didn't have strict guidelines to follow.

I am feeling like my provider is misinterpreting the rules, but I don't know how to get around it without saying "you're wrong! we CAN do this, just work with me!"
The rules are minimum standards which are different than child care policies. As long as the minimum standards are being met they can add additional policies.
nannyde 09:01 AM 09-17-2015
I charge $2.50 per day to accommodate cloth diapers. That compensates me for the total of 15 minutes per day of management and parent conferencing regarding them.
Sugaree 09:27 AM 09-17-2015

Yes, this is how my DCM is about them too... She recently told me about ordering 3 of one specific print hoping to get one that had the picture (this one was a mermaid one I think) in a specific spot on the tush...

Says certain ones that have the print/pattern "just right" are worth more.

I have NO clue as my own kiddos are a lot older and cloth diapering was not so common then but I guess I can say I am familiar with the craze it's caused...

I guess there could be worse things parents are obsessed with so I'm not gonna knock her for it. Plus some of the diapers are SUPER cute!!!!

I've gotten better about it. I have a great Beatles Yellow Submarine print, a G.I. Joe print, and a Cat in the Hat print. But they are hybrid fitteds, so you end up putting a cover over them 90% of the time anyway. They are fantastic for night time though. For most of my day time diapers we just use Best Bottoms All-in-2s. I'll admit that I didn't love them at first, but they've definitely grown on me. The micro-fiber insert that didn't need to be prepped....needed to be prepped. These are mass produced, but the covers are very cute.
happymom 07:54 AM 09-18-2015
Thanks everyone.

I have also been out of the cloth diaper loop and I'm just re-using the diapers my son used almost 4 years ago. While at times I felt obsessed with cloth diapers, I am really budget conscious and never bought more diapers than we needed (although one time I won a $50 gift card from my favorite CD company and got to splurge and ended up with a few extra).

I'm still working with them, I'm a little bummed since when I asked about it initially when I interviewed the center I was only told that "yes! we cloth diaper, we just can not knock off poops or re-use covers, the whole diaper must go home with you" -- they DID tell me the diapers would be put outside, I assumed there would be a back door/garbage type area they would go, and not next to the front door.

My son's daycare center is located on a busy street with lots of foot traffic and the front door is about 15 feet from the main road. I personally think all the kids soiled clothing in garbage sacks sitting next to the front door is very unwelcoming, it it were my center, I would have found a different way to accomodate that for sure.

Anyway, we'll see. It seems as if they are trying to work with me. I wish they were open to a 'one wet bag for all dirty diapers' solution since I've already invested in several medium sized wet bags just for daycare, but if I need to go get a stash of tiny wet bags, I think it'd be better than using zip locks. I have a meeting with the director on Monday where I will bring what I use and we will talk it over and hopefully come up with something that makes everyone!

I think they are making up their policy as they go since it's not something they've dealt with in a very long time.
childcaremom 08:09 AM 09-18-2015
Thanks everyone.

I have also been out of the cloth diaper loop and I'm just re-using the diapers my son used almost 4 years ago. While at times I felt obsessed with cloth diapers, I am really budget conscious and never bought more diapers than we needed (although one time I won a $50 gift card from my favorite CD company and got to splurge and ended up with a few extra).

I'm still working with them, I'm a little bummed since when I asked about it initially when I interviewed the center I was only told that "yes! we cloth diaper, we just can not knock off poops or re-use covers, the whole diaper must go home with you" -- they DID tell me the diapers would be put outside, I assumed there would be a back door/garbage type area they would go, and not next to the front door.

My son's daycare center is located on a busy street with lots of foot traffic and the front door is about 15 feet from the main road. I personally think all the kids soiled clothing in garbage sacks sitting next to the front door is very unwelcoming, it it were my center, I would have found a different way to accomodate that for sure.

Anyway, we'll see. It seems as if they are trying to work with me. I wish they were open to a 'one wet bag for all dirty diapers' solution since I've already invested in several medium sized wet bags just for daycare, but if I need to go get a stash of tiny wet bags, I think it'd be better than using zip locks. I have a meeting with the director on Monday where I will bring what I use and we will talk it over and hopefully come up with something that makes everyone!

I think they are making up their policy as they go since it's not something they've dealt with in a very long time.
Hope the chat goes well! Maybe bring a few wetbags to show them? I'm just thinking that maybe they don't know what they are.
happymom 08:35 AM 09-18-2015
Oh I am very sure they don't know what they are! Fingers crossed it all goes well. I want to get it all sorted before baby is here because I am going to be going back to work when he is very young and it's already such a stressful time I don't want to have to worry about stupid diapering stuff! Haha
mim 08:55 AM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Seems like I am in the minority , I don't accept cloth diapers.
I don't accept cloth diapers either. In my policies the dcp must provide disposables to be used here. They must also arrive for the day in a disposable.
I didn't cloth diaper my own children, so there is no way I'm cloth diapering someone else's. I don't know anything about it, but it just seems nasty having to handle soiled diapers more than just wrapping my rubber glove around it, tying it up and throwing it in the trash.
happymom 09:33 AM 09-18-2015
I try to imagine cloth diapering part time (as in at home and not at daycare) and it just seems a lot more difficult. I'd end up having a full load of like -- 8 diapers to wash?

I love cloth diapering though, I get that it isn't for everyone, I would be excited to cloth diaper someone elses kid though.

I can't even begin to imagine what kind of diaper waste is in the daycare center's garbage bins. That grosses me out WAY more than cloth diapers lol.
Blackcat31 09:34 AM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by mim:
I don't accept cloth diapers either. In my policies the dcp must provide disposables to be used here. They must also arrive for the day in a disposable.
I didn't cloth diaper my own children, so there is no way I'm cloth diapering someone else's. I don't know anything about it, but it just seems nasty having to handle soiled diapers more than just wrapping my rubber glove around it, tying it up and throwing it in the trash.
I'm curious... in what way would you touch/handle a cloth diaper any more than you would a disposable?

I allow and ENCOURAGE the use of cloth diapers.

When changing a child in cloth diapers I do the following:

1: Have the child lie down on whatever surface you use to change them.

2: Remove the diaper

3: Roll it into a ball (including ALL waste...urine AND BM's)

4: Place it into a wet bag. Seal

5: Parent takes the soiled diapers (poo and all....LOL!) home with them

When I change a disposable diaper I do the following:

3: Roll it into a ball (including ALL waste......urine AND BM's)

4: Place it into the garbage can

Then I have to pay for the costs of disposing them.

In each scenario, I wear gloves. In each scenario you have to touch the diaper but NO more in one way than the other. In each scenario, you have to place the diaper somewhere until it can be disposed of or taken off site.

Honestly, I see NO benefits to disposables. (except for the parent who has to wash the cloth diapers but I don't do that sooooo)

Environmentally, I the fact that cloth diapering is becoming so "trendy"
childcaremom 10:03 AM 09-18-2015
I'm curious... in what way would you touch/handle a cloth diaper any more than you would a disposable?

Then I have to pay for the costs of disposing them.

In each scenario, I wear gloves. In each scenario you have to touch the diaper but NO more in one way than the other. In each scenario, you have to place the diaper somewhere until it can be disposed of or taken off site.

Honestly, I see NO benefits to disposables. (except for the parent who has to wash the cloth diapers but I don't do that sooooo)

Environmentally, I the fact that cloth diapering is becoming so "trendy"

Imho, cloth diapers are no more work for a provider than disposables are. I prefer using them and wish I could get all my clients to use them.
happymom 10:08 AM 09-18-2015

It's true! I love seeing providers so open to it! I think it's scary when you don't have experience, maybe have never seen a cloth diaper, don't understand how they are washed (and that you as the provider don't have to do it). I remember thinking my husband would never be open to it but now he tells all his friends how great they are.

My son's first daycare had zero experience with it, but was happy to try it.

There was a bit of a learning curve (she'd send me pics through the day and sometimes his diapers were on backwards) but it didn't cause any problems. Now she told me when she has another baby, she's going to put it in cloth!

I really believe cloth is better at containing blow outs as well especially when babes are really young. Ick.
Annalee 10:12 AM 09-18-2015
My cloth diaper client doesn't ask me to "dump" a diaper or anything...I simply tie up in a plastic bag just like a pamper and place in the no-smell bag for the mom to take home in the afternoon. It doesn't take me any longer for either kind of diaper. The cloth diapers have velcro so not a big issue at all.
happymom 10:16 AM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My cloth diaper client doesn't ask me to "dump" a diaper or anything...I simply tie up in a plastic bag just like a pamper and place in the no-smell bag for the mom to take home in the afternoon.
Can you tell me more about your "no smell" bag?
Ariana 10:19 AM 09-18-2015
I had one parent who wanted me to cloth diaper and I was open to it. I tried it with my own kids but it just didn't work well for us. Anyway this child leaked all the time. I had to change her clothes at least once a day. The mom seemed surprised and said that she had just stripped them so there shouldn't be an issue. I found that I had to change this child double what I would change a child in disposables. Might have just been this particular child I am not sure. There were also times when I would put the diaper in the wetbag and it would accidentally touch the outside zipper and then I would have to wash the outside of the wetbag. I would of course be wearing gloves to change the child and then it became very difficult for me to get the diaper in the wetbag because I didn't want to touch anything with my contaminated gloves. It was very frustrating and I really didn't like it. It is completely different when it is your own child but when you are running a daycare it is a lot more work in my experience as contamination is not something to be taken lightly. I would accept cloth diapers again but would need to come up with some sort of diaper genie pail system.
Annalee 10:24 AM 09-18-2015
Can you tell me more about your "no smell" bag?
It is a lined bag with a zipper that I put diapers in....It belongs to the parent so I don't know exactly what it is called. I was skeptical at first when she told me it would keep smell inside, but it does work. She asked that I not tie the poopers in a plastic bag first because she throws the entire bag in the wash but I told her I tied all pooper diapers in plastic first even the pampers that will go in garbage can. So she said that was fine so the extra work is on her because she has to take the poop diaper out of the plastic before washing ON the tag it says Kangacare wet bag???
BabyMonkeys 10:25 AM 09-18-2015

For one thing they are expensive! I know the diapers my dcps use average $20 each, and he goes through around 7-8 diapers a diapers a day, so that would be in the $150 range.
happymom 10:54 AM 09-18-2015
It is a lined bag with a zipper that I put diapers in....It belongs to the parent so I don't know exactly what it is called. I was skeptical at first when she told me it would keep smell inside, but it does work. She asked that I not tie the poopers in a plastic bag first because she throws the entire bag in the wash but I told her I tied all pooper diapers in plastic first even the pampers that will go in garbage can. So she said that was fine so the extra work is on her because she has to take the poop diaper out of the plastic before washing ON the tag it says Kangacare wet bag???
Awesome thanks!

Originally Posted by :
For one thing they are expensive! I know the diapers my dcps use average $20 each, and he goes through around 7-8 diapers a diapers a day, so that would be in the $150 range.
Also, diapers in an enclosed space IN THE SUN are going to REEK when I go to put them in the wash, but I'm guessing it might just be a price I end up paying for them to cloth him.
Annalee 10:58 AM 09-18-2015
Awesome thanks!

Also, diapers in an enclosed space IN THE SUN are going to REEK when I go to put them in the wash, but I'm guessing it might just be a price I end up paying for them to cloth him.
The client I have said she has a HE frontload washer which doesn't clean the diapers very well due to the low amounts of water so she pre-soaks her diapers before washing so they get clean?????
mommyneedsadayoff 11:06 AM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I had one parent who wanted me to cloth diaper and I was open to it. I tried it with my own kids but it just didn't work well for us. Anyway this child leaked all the time. I had to change her clothes at least once a day. The mom seemed surprised and said that she had just stripped them so there shouldn't be an issue. I found that I had to change this child double what I would change a child in disposables. Might have just been this particular child I am not sure. There were also times when I would put the diaper in the wetbag and it would accidentally touch the outside zipper and then I would have to wash the outside of the wetbag. I would of course be wearing gloves to change the child and then it became very difficult for me to get the diaper in the wetbag because I didn't want to touch anything with my contaminated gloves. It was very frustrating and I really didn't like it. It is completely different when it is your own child but when you are running a daycare it is a lot more work in my experience as contamination is not something to be taken lightly. I would accept cloth diapers again but would need to come up with some sort of diaper genie pail system.
I had the same issue. Mom just switched back, because he was leaking through everything. After changing clothes and bedding and washing the car seat liner so many times, she gave up. There are different type of wet bags, but the ones I have used do not contain smell, so they sat on the porch.

Just to add, if your child is older and having more solid poops, I would highly recommend scraping or rinsing when you get the diapers home before laundering. My dcm forgot one day and needless to say, her washer had to be deep cleaned a few times before the smell went away.
Annalee 11:10 AM 09-18-2015
I had the same issue. Mom just switched back, because he was leaking through everything. After changing clothes and bedding and washing the car seat liner so many times, she gave up. There are different type of wet bags, but the ones I have used do not contain smell, so they sat on the porch.

Just to add, if your child is older and having more solid poops, I would highly recommend scraping or rinsing when you get the diapers home before laundering. My dcm forgot one day and needless to say, her washer had to be deep cleaned a few times before the smell went away.
I have had this child for about 6 months now and only a couple leaks. The diapers she has are triple-lined so they hold well.
happymom 11:11 AM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by :
Ewwww!
mommyneedsadayoff 11:15 AM 09-18-2015
I have had this child for about 6 months now and only a couple leaks. The diapers she has are triple-lined so they hold well.
She double lined and tried all sorts, but even at their tightest fit, he somehow managed to pee right out of them. He has been back in disposables for a two weeks now and no leaks, so I think she is over it. Sometimes it works for ya, and sometimes it doesn't, I guess
happymom 11:44 AM 09-18-2015
I'm excited, I found someone on ETSY who will custom make tiny individual wet bags for me at a really reasonable price so I'm not so turned off by the individual "packaging" of dirty diapers. In the long run, it'll probably cost way more than just sending plastic zip locks....but wet bags are useful for all sorts of things, I can give them away when I'm done with them =)
jenboo 12:19 PM 09-18-2015
She double lined and tried all sorts, but even at their tightest fit, he somehow managed to pee right out of them. He has been back in disposables for a two weeks now and no leaks, so I think she is over it. Sometimes it works for ya, and sometimes it doesn't, I guess
Fyi a too tight cloth diaper will create leaks. There is a little learning curve with fit between cloth and disposable. There are lots of fit videos on YouTube.
BabyMonkeys 12:47 PM 09-18-2015
I'm excited, I found someone on ETSY who will custom make tiny individual wet bags for me at a really reasonable price so I'm not so turned off by the individual "packaging" of dirty diapers. In the long run, it'll probably cost way more than just sending plastic zip locks....but wet bags are useful for all sorts of things, I can give them away when I'm done with them =)
Can you message me the link for that store? I'm sure one of my dcm would love it
happymom 09:10 AM 10-02-2015
So my daycare center has put in a plastic bin outside the front door for clothing that children have accidents in. The clothing is simply put in a plastic grocery sack and placed in the bin at the time of the accident. This is where my child's diapers will go and I'm stating to come to terms with it.

HOWEVER, I was informed that they met with two different people at licensing and one person said the zippered wet bags are okay and the other said they are not because they may be porus around the zipper. I think they are taking their time since my son has not started at the center yet, and I'm fine with that.

I'm just trying to figure out how an old grocery sack would be acceptable and not a lined/waterproof zippered bag if they are handled in the same manner and both may contain fecal matter/urine?
laundrymom 10:16 AM 10-02-2015
I just don't understand their fear over a little poo or pee. My gosh, it's not like we are talking about spent uranium.
It's poop. It's not going to jump out and grab people as they walk by.
I know. It's biological waste. But it's not that big a deal if handled properly. And it's probably full of LESS CONTAMINANTS than people's shoes.
I would want to see the regulation about it. I would ask to see the policy.

I would also bring up the point that a container of such dangerous biohazard out on the front stoop where any old kid or adult could touch the toxic waste is surely a liability risk. I would refuse to allow them to simply toss $300 into a bin on the porch where anyone could have access to. What about an old fashioned diaper pail w a locking lid. You could supply. Take and return daily. It's a covered locked garbage pail. The same thing they should be us on for soiled diapers.
This would have me seriously finding a new care situation. Either someone accepts you and your choices, or they don't. A diaper isn't the same as a soaked pair of panties. It's not leaky. It's not soiled on the exterior. It's contained.
I'm here for you happy mom. If you were local I'd beg for you to choose me.
Like minded moms stick together.
happymom 10:31 AM 10-02-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I just don't understand their fear over a little poo or pee. My gosh, it's not like we are talking about spent uranium.
It's poop. It's not going to jump out and grab people as they walk by.
I know. It's biological waste. But it's not that big a deal if handled properly. And it's probably full of LESS CONTAMINANTS than people's shoes.
I would want to see the regulation about it. I would ask to see the policy.

I would also bring up the point that a container of such dangerous biohazard out on the front stoop where any old kid or adult could touch the toxic waste is surely a liability risk. I would refuse to allow them to simply toss $300 into a bin on the porch where anyone could have access to. What about an old fashioned diaper pail w a locking lid. You could supply. Take and return daily. It's a covered locked garbage pail. The same thing they should be us on for soiled diapers.
This would have me seriously finding a new care situation. Either someone accepts you and your choices, or they don't. A diaper isn't the same as a soaked pair of panties. It's not leaky. It's not soiled on the exterior. It's contained.
I'm here for you happy mom. If you were local I'd beg for you to choose me.
Like minded moms stick together.
Thank you!!! I'm trying so hard to be reasonable. I want to change daycare and my husband REALLY likes the center our son is in and wants to stick with it. I personally am really missing my in-home daycare and wishing that he was more open minded to a new in home daycare. The great thing about the center is it offers transport to and from elementary school (which will be GREAT) in TWO YEARS!!!!

Hopefully they come through for me and we can make something work. Thanks for your support -- Laundrymom! I really appreciate it!
laundrymom 10:35 AM 10-02-2015
Thank you!!! I'm trying so hard to be reasonable. I want to change daycare and my husband REALLY likes the center our son is in and wants to stick with it. I personally am really missing my in-home daycare and wishing that he was more open minded to a new in home daycare. The great thing about the center is it offers transport to and from elementary school (which will be GREAT) in TWO YEARS!!!!

Hopefully they come through for me and we can make something work. Thanks for your support -- Laundrymom! I really appreciate it!
Girl, tell that husband to hand over $300 on Monday. He can have it back if none of your diapers go missing by Friday. Each time ones stolen, he loses $30!!!!lol.
Just teasing , (maybe) but seriously..... Dude, family childcare is awesome!!!!
happymom 11:01 AM 10-02-2015
Originally Posted by :
Just teasing , (maybe) but seriously..... Dude, family childcare is awesome!!!!
It is.

My eyes fill with tears when I think about what we left (maybe cause I'm 9 months pregnant), but I also know that it was no longer a good fit for us since her daughter started kindergarten and daycare only had enough spots as seats in her vehicle - and as much love and trust I have for her - I'm so nervous about carseats not being used/installed correctly and just couldn't deal with that aspect of my child's safety not being in my hands.
happymom 07:55 AM 10-07-2015
Anyone want to happy dance with me! Wet bags (in some shape or form) have been approved! Waiting to hear back whether I need one for each diaper or if they can all go in a single bag....

They will be outside in the bin with the clothing that other kids have accidents in, daycare center doesn't want to budge on that, but it's all going to work out in some way shape or form
nannyde 06:53 PM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
If the diapers you are using require eight changes a day... you have your answer. It would be cheaper for the center to just offer you free diapers. That's a ton of staff time.
Sugaree 09:37 AM 10-08-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If the diapers you are using require eight changes a day... you have your answer. It would be cheaper for the center to just offer you free diapers. That's a ton of staff time.
Even in disposables, my son's center required that he be changed once an hour as an infant. I work 9 hours a day, so 8 changes a day isn't inconceivable.
midaycare 09:59 AM 10-08-2015
All this talk about diapers, I don't get it. They hold bm's and urine. I have been open about 2 years and have had 1 dck in cloth diapers. It was not a big deal. I had no problem dumping the poo as much as I could. They were easy to change, and I only had a few leaks. But it happens with disposable too.

I had a wet bag and the smell was contained. Dcm did it to save money, not to be cute.

I would much rather everyone use cloth, but it's not really my place.
happymom 08:14 AM 10-09-2015
Cloth diapers honestly shouldn't take up any more staff time than disposables. The center is required to change diapers at 2 hours intervals (or at time of BM) regardless of what kind of diaper a kid is in. Newborns normally require more changes, but I do not believe that cloth itself lends itself to requiring more changes.

The only thing that would require more staff time is a staff member walking outside since that is the only "acceptable" place to keep a dirty cloth diaper (in my center).....apparently, this is a rule that the owners of the center have come up with themselves as I can not see anywhere that it is required by licensing for the diapers to be placed outside the facility.
nannyde 10:23 AM 10-09-2015
Even in disposables, my son's center required that he be changed once an hour as an infant. I work 9 hours a day, so 8 changes a day isn't inconceivable.
It is completely unnecessary to change a baby every hour. A center would only do that if they had a history of staff leaving kids unchanged and a normal every two hour change was too difficult for them to follow.

I haven't ran into this before. I have seen every two hours plus arrival time but not every hour. I can't imagine parents agreeing to it when they most likely do it every three hours at home. (And post poop)
Unregistered 12:06 PM 10-09-2015
Cloth diapers honestly shouldn't take up any more staff time than disposables. The center is required to change diapers at 2 hours intervals (or at time of BM) regardless of what kind of diaper a kid is in. Newborns normally require more changes, but I do not believe that cloth itself lends itself to requiring more changes.

The only thing that would require more staff time is a staff member walking outside since that is the only "acceptable" place to keep a dirty cloth diaper (in my center).....apparently, this is a rule that the owners of the center have come up with themselves as I can not see anywhere that it is required by licensing for the diapers to be placed outside the facility.

Yeah but Nannyde is the laziest childcare provider on the planet, so of course she thinks this.
laundrymom 12:13 PM 10-09-2015

I dont think Nan is lazy, she has done the time and research for what works for her. While I don't always have the same advice as she does, I would never think her lazy. Efficient, thorough, a bit OCD about things(like me,lol) but never lazy.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yeah but Nannyde is the laziest childcare provider on the planet, so of course she thinks this.

nannyde 12:46 PM 10-09-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The neeuve said the COWARDLY lion.

I wrote a Haiku just for you.

Unregistered said
you are lazy Nannyde
That hurt my fee fees

Artsandcrafts 09:52 PM 10-09-2015
I had a dcg that used cloth diapers. She was my first and last. Diapers leaked poop several times all down her legs!! which was very disgusting!! Maybe the stools were very loose, not the right size, or they weren't washed properly. Also there was the ammonia odor some others have mentioned. I also had to change the girl more often than the others. I change the kids 3 times after every meal or after a bm during 9 to 10 hrs of care (I only take kids over 1 year old so no that many changes are needed). Personally I won't accept cloth anymore just because they require more changes. Maybe others won't leak, but the time required is a deal breaker for me, we have a schedule with activities during the day that I have to interrupt to change the child with cloth diapers, and I also afraid I will forget to change on time.
Controlled Chaos 09:59 PM 10-09-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
The neeuve said the COWARDLY lion.

I wrote a Haiku just for you.

Unregistered said
you are lazy Nannyde
That hurt my fee fees

I would have insulted you months ago if I knew it would have gotten me a personal haiku

I tried to write you a haiku, but apparently 2 glasses of wine makes my poetry a little more free form.
happymom 10:24 AM 11-13-2015
Update!!!!

I've been completely MIA lately. My new little son was born on October 12th and I'm just getting into the swing of being a mom of two.

Daycare has approved my wetbag! They are not requiring individual bags for each diaper. Woohoo! They aren't backing down on the storing diapers outside, so we'll see how it goes. I'm not looking forward to emptying a bag full of possibly frozen diapers this winter, but I could be overreacting.

My little guy starts daycare on Monday I'm hoping I do everything right, I'm so worried about getting used to this whole new routine.
Michael 01:59 PM 11-13-2015
Update!!!!

I've been completely MIA lately. My new little son was born on October 12th and I'm just getting into the swing of being a mom of two.

Daycare has approved my wetbag! They are not requiring individual bags for each diaper. Woohoo! They aren't backing down on the storing diapers outside, so we'll see how it goes. I'm not looking forward to emptying a bag full of possibly frozen diapers this winter, but I could be overreacting.

My little guy starts daycare on Monday I'm hoping I do everything right, I'm so worried about getting used to this whole new routine.
Welcome back. Thanks for the update.
Tags:cloth diapers
Reply Up