Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>TV Time
Blackcat31 12:50 PM 01-03-2011
Honestly......how much time do your kids spend watching television and when do they watch it? Is it on all day as background noise or only during specific times? What do they watch? Movies? Nick Jr.? PBS?

I'm asking because I got a weird idea over the New Year's break and decided to do away with my TV at daycare. (For those who aren't aware, I have a separate child care home I do NOT live in) I put the TV in the garage and have decided to do NO TV this whole month (I'd like it to be a year, but we'll see...) I want the kids to learn to be more creative, imaginative and cooperative. I've only had music playing and for nap we do books on CD so we will see how it goes.....
SilverSabre25 01:05 PM 01-03-2011
Well...my own personal child, or my daycare kids? Daycare kids it's probably less than an hour a week, and mostly in the winter because we don't go outside (too cold, they're too young, and I detest the cold). They watch things that have been DVR'd, or preferably a Signing Time DVD.

My own personal child watches a lot more mostly streaming Thomas the Tank Engine from Netflix...gah.
e.j. 01:06 PM 01-03-2011
I don't generally turn the tv on during day care hours. Once in a very great while, though, I might put a movie on at nap time if all of the younger kids are sleeping and an older one is still awake and getting restless.
DanceMom 01:10 PM 01-03-2011
I put it on when I am making breakfast - kids come at all different times so as I am continually making breakfast as one is done and one arrives - the one that is done needs to go wait quietly and watch PBS until everyone is done and we are ready to start our day ( Usually 20-30 minutes ) I also at times have to put it on while I am making lunch - depends on the day and how rowdy they are. Usually that is 10-20 minutes - sometimes they are playing nicely and I dont have to use the TV.

They watch videos called Kid Songs - All their favorite songs with different kids singing - or they watch a Signing Times DVD.
Live and Learn 01:11 PM 01-03-2011
I go back and forth....
last couple of years ....no tv.
This winter....Sesame Street every day!
I love Sesame Street.
AmandasFCC 01:21 PM 01-03-2011
My daycare kids only watch Sesame Street from about 11:30ish-12ish, while I'm cooking lunch. I've tried a million other ways to get them to settle or play nicely while I cook and this has been the one and only thing that works for me. Other than that 1/2hr or so, they don't watch ANY TV here.
Cat Herder 01:28 PM 01-03-2011
I let them watch a little disney during pick-up and drop-off times since over half are infants (the rest 2 and under) that take SOOOO much time to dress/package for winter pick-ups.....

My daily plan really changes with each group I have.... I tend to get a new group every 4 years or so...once this group gets a little older they will be coloring at the table during those times (wet floor from mopping).
mickey2 01:46 PM 01-03-2011
No TV here except for maybe 1 hour in the afternoon for the children who do not nap long. That is it! The rest of the day I have nice calm children's music playing in the background while we have free play or do crafts, play with play-doh, color, cut, glue etc. There are so many fun wonderful things to do in a day that we don't waste it with TV.
ninosqueridos 01:48 PM 01-03-2011
No TV for dck's. It really forces me to plan engaging activities for them which I enjoy doing. On really RARE days when I end up with only one dck, then they will also catch Sesame Street and Mickey with my kids.

My own kids watch Sesame Street and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse most days in a separate room not accessible to the dck's.
melskids 01:51 PM 01-03-2011
no TV here either
cillybean83 02:22 PM 01-03-2011
my daycare kids watch Dora at 8am, that's all they're interested in (12 months and 15 months)
AfterSchoolMom 03:04 PM 01-03-2011
Mine are all SA's. They watch for about 20-30 minutes in the afternoon, but it's not allowed until everyone had completed all of their homework. I also try to discourage TV if it's a nice afternoon. Right now they're watching more TV because it's too cold out and it gets dark very early.
countrymom 03:14 PM 01-03-2011
well, the tv is in the daycare room, but its a room that my own children use too (right now they are playing the wii) so its not like I can get rid of it (otherwise I would have to share my tv with my own children) but during daycare time its on all day, every once in a while I'll see the kids watch a show but maybe for about 15 min. in total its roughly maybe 2 hours for a whole week. but I use it more for background noise more than anything else. I tried music and the kids were even louder when it was on.
Luna 03:24 PM 01-03-2011
My dck's watch TV while I'm making lunch, usually Arthur or Caillou if I'm running late. If parents are late picking up, they'll probably find their kids watching TV. I watch TV during naptime, and sometimes the dkg who naps in the living room will wake up early and watch with me.
If it's too rotten to go outside, we will watch a dvd from the Wee Sing series. They aren't sit-n-watch shows, they are get up & dance & jump & sing & march shows.
I'm gonna say it. I like TV.
kidkair 03:28 PM 01-03-2011
My tv is located outside the daycare. I have not ever used the tv and plan to not ever use it. I don't even let them see the computer. I play classical music in the background most of the day and listen to a Japanese language learning thing when the kids are falling asleep. Used to listen to Jazz as the fell asleep but I want to learn Japanese so I started playing the audio as they are falling asleep and they still go out like lights. I read for 15 to 30 minutes before laying them down. I strongly believe in tv free children so if I ever have a kid the tv would sit unused anytime the kid was awake until at least age 3.
AnythingsPossible 03:35 PM 01-03-2011
We used to do 25 minutes before naptime, either Word World or Super Why off PBS. With winter here, we have done away with prenap tv and depending on the day, it goes on at 4:45 playing either of the above shows. Without being able to go outside, my sanity is hanging on by a very thin thread by the end of the day. Occasionally we watch a movie, but that is maybe once a month. I find they don't really sit and watch it, so what is the point of having the noise from it.
ammama 03:42 PM 01-03-2011
no TV here. The only TV the dck's watched in 2010 was a holiday special the week of Christmas (Rudolf). Most of my dck's are great with it. I had one child, who used to complain to his mother bitterly about the lack of TV, and she actually told me that she wanted him watching 30 minutes every morning. I said no. They left.
Pammie 03:54 PM 01-03-2011
No TV here during daytime daycare hours - ever.

It's an extra big *treat* on Parent's Nights Out when they get to watch a movie at my house! And that's 2 Friday nites/month
AfterSchoolMom 04:21 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by Luna:
My dck's watch TV while I'm making lunch, usually Arthur or Caillou if I'm running late. If parents are late picking up, they'll probably find their kids watching TV. I watch TV during naptime, and sometimes the dkg who naps in the living room will wake up early and watch with me.
If it's too rotten to go outside, we will watch a dvd from the Wee Sing series. They aren't sit-n-watch shows, they are get up & dance & jump & sing & march shows.

I like TV too! I honestly don't see a problem with some TV watching.
momofboys 04:37 PM 01-03-2011
I like TV too; however, I try to use it sparingly. We will watch Dora or Diego or Sesame Street, sometimes Curious George (PBS) when I get lunch prepped but that is about it. So maybe 1/2 hr a day. If the weather really stinks or I am not feeling 100% I may let them watch an hour or so so I can rest. Typically it is off if we aren't viewing something.
WImom 04:58 PM 01-03-2011
15-20 minutes a day while I'm making lunch. We do an occasional letter factory or similar on a snowy/rainy day but most days it's 15-20 minutes. We do PBS or Dora.

my own kids probably 30-60 minutes a day and 30 minutes on the computer or Wii. Myself - 2-2.5 hours a day....I love TV and watch it everynight when my kids are in bed.
BentleysBands 05:29 PM 01-03-2011
On all day

Nick Jr,noggin,Disney, DVD movies...mainly for background. We also do music
through out the day. My parents all asked at interviews if I did the TV and actually wanted it. I'm home based and my daycare IS my whole home so it works for us. Personally I couldn't go without TV LOL. When our cable goes out due to a storm we are all lost
SandeeAR 06:11 PM 01-03-2011
Mine is on all day too. I have 3 babies and 1, 2.5 y/o, she stops for 2 things and actually watches it......Sesame street, but only Elmos World and Super Why. When I found out the local kindergarten watches Super Why everyday, I felt a LOT better about it.

With no one else her age to play with, I use it as her "company".
MyAngels 08:50 PM 01-03-2011
It's on and off throughout the day, although I tend to mute it quite a bit, since my current group don't actually watch it much.

I like to put it on the Today show for about an hour in the morning, too, just to make sure the world didn't go to H*** in and hand basket while I slept .
marniewon 09:25 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
It's on and off throughout the day, although I tend to mute it quite a bit, since my current group don't actually watch it much.

I like to put it on the Today show for about an hour in the morning, too, just to make sure the world didn't go to H*** in and hand basket while I slept .
Ha ha ha - I also watch the Today Show in the morning, for the same reason, check the weather forecast, try to stay in touch a little bit. When dck's get here, it goes to PBS - sesame street, curious george, super why, word world, etc. Sometimes kids are not even watching it and it's just background noise. I never used to have the tv on, but I have a drop-in who is super sensitive to new things and the tv was a really great way to transition him walking in the door being nervous to playing with the other kids. Many times my own teenagers will remind me it's on and at that point I'll turn it off. Tv will go off before lunch and will not go back on again that day, except for me to watch in the afternoon when the kids are napping, and then it's usually the food network....lol.
nannyde 02:12 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
When I found out the local kindergarten watches Super Why everyday, I felt a LOT better about it.".

Wow that's unbelievable.
nannyde 02:18 AM 01-04-2011
We have a couple of transitional times when we run TV to entertain the kids while we are doing something where we have to focus, do it quickly, and can't have them up and playing to get it done quickly. That's mass diaper changes and getting kids ready to go outside. In the summer it takes about ten minutes to dress them all in shoes to go out. Spring and Fall take about fifteen minutes. The Winter can take as much as forty minutes.

That's the only time we have it on and it's whatever is on on PBS at the time.

I would say the total in the summer is about a half an hour with getting shoes on and diapering after nap. The winter it is about 50 minutes witih diapering and getting kids in full winter gear to go outside.

I think TV is fine to be on. I don't use it because we just don't have time for it during the day. I only use it when it really is to their benefit to have something to do. Trying to play in full winter gear while you are waiting for seven other kids to get dressed is not that fun. Watching a little TV to pass the time until it is your turn to get upstairs is better for them and helps us keep everything calm while we are doing the HARD work of dressing and loading that many kids from the basement to the outside.
DBug 03:33 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Trying to play in full winter gear while you are waiting for seven other kids to get dressed is not that fun. Watching a little TV to pass the time until it is your turn to get upstairs is better for them and helps us keep everything calm while we are doing the HARD work of dressing and loading that many kids from the basement to the outside.
This made me realize just how Canadian my kids are . They're used to sitting for 30 minutes in full winter gear inside while waiting for me to get all of the littles ready to go outside -- and we go through the whole getting dressed routine at least twice a day, sometimes three times if we're meeting the bus (and that's not including when the parents drop off & pick up). And they might as well get used to it, cuz they'll be doing it by themselves four times a day when they start school

But back to the original question -- I don't use tv at all. Personally I think kids have way too much screen time as it is, so we stay away from it all together during daycare hours. My dc kids have gotten used to it, and really between preschool activities, outdoor time, snack/meal times, etc, etc, there just isn't time for it.
nikia 04:02 AM 01-04-2011
In the morning for the 5:30 dropoff 3 times a week. Then at 5pm for the kids that are left here until the last possible moment till I close. Nick jr is what they watch. My tv is separate from the daycare play room so its not on unless its those two times.
nannyde 04:05 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
This made me realize just how Canadian my kids are . They're used to sitting for 30 minutes in full winter gear inside while waiting for me to get all of the littles ready to go outside -- and we go through the whole getting dressed routine at least twice a day, sometimes three times if we're meeting the bus (and that's not including when the parents drop off & pick up). And they might as well get used to it, cuz they'll be doing it by themselves four times a day when they start school

But back to the original question -- I don't use tv at all. Personally I think kids have way too much screen time as it is, so we stay away from it all together during daycare hours. My dc kids have gotten used to it, and really between preschool activities, outdoor time, snack/meal times, etc, etc, there just isn't time for it.
I see what you are saying and I agree with the WAY too much screen time BUT I don't see harm in running a TV show for the ones who are waiting to get dressed and the ones who are fully dressed. It gets pretty hot for them when they are the first one dressed and waiting the five to six minutes per child for the remaining seven kids. I think TV is wonderful for them during this time because it relaxes them and wonderful for us because we can focus on dressing them as quickly as possible without the distraction of supervising a bunch of kids waiting around.

TV doesn't work for us during non transitional times because we don't have enough time in the day for it BUT I don't have a problem with providers doing a lot of TV time if that's what they need to do when they are on their own with a group of kids. I think a lot of TV time is directly proportional to the fee charged for the service.

For providers who are receiving two dollars an hour per kid it is reasonable that they have a good amount of TV built into the day so they can manage more kids and make a higher daily wage. When the parents are paying a higher fee they very often paying for a lower adult to child ratio or even a second person on site.

My parents pay for a one adult to four kid ratio and pay for a daily 45 minute hike when weather permits. The walk is the most expensive thing (staff time/money) thing we do every day... BY FAR. When you are doing a big activity like that every day that takes an hour and a half total time during peek day care hours it doesn't really leave much time for TV viewing before nap time. We eat lunch right when we get back.

In the afternoon we have departures starting at three thirty so we don't go outside in the afternoon except for really low enrollment days in good easy weather.

I do think our kids have way too much screen time BUT there is a reason for that. Screen time is the easiest time for the adults. When providers have a low adult to child ratio then they naturally build in larger sections of time where the care of each kid is as easy as possible so they can get indirect care things done and have rest periods.

I was in WalMart over Christmas going thru their toy isles and I was had pressed to find toys for kids under the age of five that were not battery operated toys. I'm really amazed at how our kids play has turned almost completely into lights, sounds, screens, touch buttons play. Many of these toys are marketed as educational but they really aren't. They are one and the same as computer games and TV when it all comes down to it.
mac60 04:47 AM 01-04-2011
I start in the morning with me having it on for background noise, and I watch the Weather Channel and the local news. When first kids come at 6:15 or 6:30, I turn on Disney and have them lay quietly. As the group gets bigger and once bk is over, I will turn it either off, or turn it to HGTV, Weather Channel, or news for my own use. It is my link to the outside world, and when I tune it to something other than what they want to watch, they totally ignore it. They normally watch something before nap to wind down, then maybe something at pickups. I just love it when a 3 yr old will say "Will you turn it to my tv", when I turn on the weather channel or something else....of coarse I tell him "NO"!
QualiTcare 05:06 AM 01-04-2011
I see what you are saying and I agree with the WAY too much screen time BUT I don't see harm in running a TV show for the ones who are waiting to get dressed and the ones who are fully dressed. It gets pretty hot for them when they are the first one dressed and waiting the five to six minutes per child for the remaining seven kids. I think TV is wonderful for them during this time because it relaxes them and wonderful for us because we can focus on dressing them as quickly as possible without the distraction of supervising a bunch of kids waiting around.

TV doesn't work for us during non transitional times because we don't have enough time in the day for it BUT I don't have a problem with providers doing a lot of TV time if that's what they need to do when they are on their own with a group of kids. I think a lot of TV time is directly proportional to the fee charged for the service.

For providers who are receiving two dollars an hour per kid it is reasonable that they have a good amount of TV built into the day so they can manage more kids and make a higher daily wage. When the parents are paying a higher fee they very often paying for a lower adult to child ratio or even a second person on site.

My parents pay for a one adult to four kid ratio and pay for a daily 45 minute hike when weather permits. The walk is the most expensive thing (staff time/money) thing we do every day... BY FAR. When you are doing a big activity like that every day that takes an hour and a half total time during peek day care hours it doesn't really leave much time for TV viewing before nap time. We eat lunch right when we get back.

In the afternoon we have departures starting at three thirty so we don't go outside in the afternoon except for really low enrollment days in good easy weather.

I do think our kids have way too much screen time BUT there is a reason for that. Screen time is the easiest time for the adults. When providers have a low adult to child ratio then they naturally build in larger sections of time where the care of each kid is as easy as possible so they can get indirect care things done and have rest periods.

I was in WalMart over Christmas going thru their toy isles and I was had pressed to find toys for kids under the age of five that were not battery operated toys. I'm really amazed at how our kids play has turned almost completely into lights, sounds, screens, touch buttons play. Many of these toys are marketed as educational but they really aren't. They are one and the same as computer games and TV when it all comes down to it.
some really cool toys need batteries though! have you seen that game "elefun"? it's cool - the kids chase butterflies with nets. it just has to have batteries to make the air blow the butterflies - kind of like a bubble machine.

i have to say, my kids have about every toy known to man and they rarely play with the battery operated ones (not because they don't have them). i bought one of those elmo dolls that was ridiculously expensive a few years ago - it got played with twice and never touched again. my son got this huge remote "spike the dinosaur" that's like $150 for christmas and is already over it. i got them those nintendo DS portable things last year and ended up selling them on CL because they never got touched. what my son plays with more than anything are the plain old, plastic dinosaurs that don't do anything (or maybe their wings/tail moves) - imaginext has some really cool ones. my daughter plays with her baby dolls more than anything.

the other night my kids pretended they were on a "date" and their dolls were the kids - using plates/cups from the kitchen to have "dinner". they pretended one of those hair styling dolls that's just a head was the waitress. then they built a "castle" with all the canned food in my cabinet. then they tried to go bowling with the cans, but i didn't let that go on for long bc of dents. did i mention they got a Wii a few days earlier? kids haven't really changed in how they play - we've just changed the toys. they still want dinosaurs and baby dolls. MY thumb is sore from playing mario

btw, i was thinking about our whole barbie/clothing discussion the other day bc my daughter got a barbie for christmas and the boots had slits up the back of them - not for design, but specifically so it would be easy for a kid to put the shoes on. i was jealous
SilverSabre25 05:17 AM 01-04-2011
Yes, that's 'cause you were shopping at Wal-Mart! No offense to those who shop there for whatever reason, but their stuff is cheap and the people who buy toys there, by far and away, are the types who think batteries are a good thing (the same people who respond to those horribly written CL ads, iykwim).

The good toys*are* hard to find but they DO exist. There IS a market among today's parents for "real" toys instead of toys that play FOR the child (gag). Unfortunately, those tend to be the highly educated parents--and I don't mean they have to have a college degree, but have probably either been raised in a household where play was valued -OR- have the college education -OR- bothered to read up on child development and fell into the right information.

Most of my favorite places to buy toys are Melissa and Doug, Plan, www.oompa.com, and Lakeshore. I can only think of one or two toys with batteries in my entire house right now, outside of a few Little People things--the Fisher Price Record Player my DD wanted for Xmas, and a cash register that has a conveyor belt they like to play with.
Cat Herder 05:23 AM 01-04-2011
I Love, Love, Love Elefun!!! It is a big hit, here.

I would like to find more submersible childrens toys, it is becoming impossible... I must be able to keep infants toys clean and disinfected and it is getting really time consuming with all the screws and metal peices on EVERYTHING...battery operated or not.

Back on topic: TV has its place and is valued here as one of many distraction/redirection techniques when I cannot directly supervise (ie. walking them to door for parent pick-ups, cleaning up vomit, bathing off a up to the armpits explosion. I am all alone, here.). It is a saving grace since the kids turn into drones once the magic box gets flipped on, some even drop their toy in a stupor... Is it good for them, IDK, but in every photo that I see from their parents FB pages it is on in the background and the kids know the theme songs by heart even when I have never heard of the show before.
Little People 05:29 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yes, that's 'cause you were shopping at Wal-Mart! No offense to those who shop there for whatever reason, but their stuff is cheap and the people who buy toys there, by far and away, are the types who think batteries are a good thing (the same people who respond to those horribly written CL ads, iykwim).

The good toys*are* hard to find but they DO exist. There IS a market among today's parents for "real" toys instead of toys that play FOR the child (gag). Unfortunately, those tend to be the highly educated parents--and I don't mean they have to have a college degree, but have probably either been raised in a household where play was valued -OR- have the college education -OR- bothered to read up on child development and fell into the right information.

Most of my favorite places to buy toys are Melissa and Doug, Plan, www.oompa.com, and Lakeshore. I can only think of one or two toys with batteries in my entire house right now, outside of a few Little People things--the Fisher Price Record Player my DD wanted for Xmas, and a cash register that has a conveyor belt they like to play with.
I love the older toys. Remember the old Fisher Price people, they were so much more fun than the new ones. I believe they took them off the shelf because a child could choke? I raised my children on them! But what is funny I went to Toys R Us and ask the salesman (about 23) if they had playschool Bristle Blocks, he said what?? Then he led me to the playschool stuff. I cam home and looked on EB and found them!!!! They are from 1976 My kids loved them!! I do have them on my watched list!! I have been looking at the Melissa & Doug Magnetic dolls any one have them? And if so do the kids play a lot with them?
Lilbutterflie 05:49 AM 01-04-2011
I'm gonna say it. I really don't see the problem with TV in moderation, as long as it's something educational and age appropriate. We watch Nick Jr (Dora, Diego, Team Umizoomi; NOT Spongebob, Rugrats, etc b/c I don't see any educational value in them) or Playhouse Disney for about a half hour in the morning, and the 4 yr olds who only nap about 45 minutes watch Sesame Street as quiet time until naptime is over. And occasionally, when we have finished our afternoon cleanup and waiting for dc parents, I'll turn it on so that my house stays clean until dc parents get here.The rest of the day is arts/crafts, free play, outside play, snack & lunch.

Every once in a while (maybe once a month), I'll do a movie day where they will watch one or two movies throughout the day.
QualiTcare 06:12 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
you have GOT to be kidding!
SilverSabre25 06:17 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
you have GOT to be kidding!
Not in my area, I'm not. I tried, tried very hard, to shop at Wal-Mart a few years ago when we had very little money. I was appalled at the selection of toys. Absolutely appalled. Even Target has a MUCH more wholesome selection of toys than the Wal-Marts in my area. They're cheap...and most of the people *I know* who shop at Wal-Mart aren't going to spend $60 on a nice set of wooden unit blocks...they're going to spend $10 on the whirlyflashymusicy thing that claims to "teach"...

i'm also talking about the strata of people who nether know, nor care, that other things exist and who buy into the "batteries make it better" and "if it's not electronic then it can't be any good" mindset. And given the selection at Wal-Mart, I figure that most people who do know otherwise (or care otherwise) aren't going to be buying toys there very often.
nannyde 06:25 AM 01-04-2011
some really cool toys need batteries though! have you seen that game "elefun"? it's cool - the kids chase butterflies with nets. it just has to have batteries to make the air blow the butterflies - kind of like a bubble machine.

i have to say, my kids have about every toy known to man and they rarely play with the battery operated ones (not because they don't have them). i bought one of those elmo dolls that was ridiculously expensive a few years ago - it got played with twice and never touched again. my son got this huge remote "spike the dinosaur" that's like $150 for christmas and is already over it. i got them those nintendo DS portable things last year and ended up selling them on CL because they never got touched. what my son plays with more than anything are the plain old, plastic dinosaurs that don't do anything (or maybe their wings/tail moves) - imaginext has some really cool ones. my daughter plays with her baby dolls more than anything.

the other night my kids pretended they were on a "date" and their dolls were the kids - using plates/cups from the kitchen to have "dinner". they pretended one of those hair styling dolls that's just a head was the waitress. then they built a "castle" with all the canned food in my cabinet. then they tried to go bowling with the cans, but i didn't let that go on for long bc of dents. did i mention they got a Wii a few days earlier? kids haven't really changed in how they play - we've just changed the toys. they still want dinosaurs and baby dolls. MY thumb is sore from playing mario

btw, i was thinking about our whole barbie/clothing discussion the other day bc my daughter got a barbie for christmas and the boots had slits up the back of them - not for design, but specifically so it would be easy for a kid to put the shoes on. i was jealous
the other night my kids pretended they were on a "date" and their dolls were the kids - using plates/cups from the kitchen to have "dinner". they pretended one of those hair styling dolls that's just a head was the waitress. then they built a "castle" with all the canned food in my cabinet. then they tried to go bowling with the cans, but i didn't let that go on for long bc of dents.

THAT'S my kind of play. That's what my kids do every day all day. cept for the bowling part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dck's are crazy good players. My son is too. You can give him a pencil pencil eraser, a bit of string, a stick, and one little army man and he will keep himself happy for HOURS and I'm not exaggerating. He can play with kids of any age. If they can talk and follow a story line he will play with them for hours.
SilverSabre25 06:28 AM 01-04-2011
the other night my kids pretended they were on a "date" and their dolls were the kids - using plates/cups from the kitchen to have "dinner". they pretended one of those hair styling dolls that's just a head was the waitress. then they built a "castle" with all the canned food in my cabinet. then they tried to go bowling with the cans, but i didn't let that go on for long bc of dents.

THAT'S my kind of play. That's what my kids do every day all day. cept for the bowling part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dck's are crazy good players. My son is too. You can give him a pencil pencil eraser, a bit of string, a stick, and one little army man and he will keep himself happy for HOURS and I'm not exaggerating. He can play with kids of any age. If they can talk and follow a story line he will play with them for hours.
That's how my DD plays, too. She can be quite content for long stretches of time with nothing but her hands--it's highly amusing to listen to her in the backseat of the car or at a restaurant scolding one hand for hitting the other, or whatever other thing is going on in her goofy little imagination. I remember doing the same thing as a small child.
sahm2three 06:39 AM 01-04-2011
I have the news on in the morning during drop offs and breakfast. Then the littles go down for morning nap and the big kids head down stairs to play. No tv on then. I usually put on Baby Einstein or something when I am making lunch. Then the toddlers and babies go to sleep and I put on a movie for the older kids downstairs. Then we either put on a satelite music channel or a movie after nap as parents start picking up. Young kids not much tv, older kids mostly just a movie at nap time.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I love the older toys. Remember the old Fisher Price people, they were so much more fun than the new ones. I believe they took them off the shelf because a child could choke? I raised my children on them! But what is funny I went to Toys R Us and ask the salesman (about 23) if they had playschool Bristle Blocks, he said what?? Then he led me to the playschool stuff. I cam home and looked on EB and found them!!!! They are from 1976 My kids loved them!! I do have them on my watched list!! I have been looking at the Melissa & Doug Magnetic dolls any one have them? And if so do the kids play a lot with them?
I picked up two sets when I went to an early childhood conference for school and my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE them!! They are super easy to use and durable too! They get played with a minimum of twice a day by BOTH girls and boys. I have an 18 month old dcg who cries when it is time to put them away! I also have a dcb who is 5 and missed going to Kindergarten by a few months and even he plays with them. I am on the hunt for more so I can let everyone play at one time! Definitely worth the buy. I think I paid $20 for 4 dolls and a change of clothing for each doll. They do come with little magnetic bows and ribbons for the hair but I put those away because they are 1/2 the size of a penny and I was worried about choking and having them accidentally get vacuumed up all the time.
jen 06:48 AM 01-04-2011
We do snack at 3pm and then head outside. By the time I get them in to their winter-gear it is usuall 3:30 or 3:45. We stay outside until 4 or 4:15. When they come in I put the TV on until pick-ups which start at 4:30.

Truthfully, the toys are put away, we've done all the artwork, preschool, and planned activities. They have all been here for nearly 10 hours and they are DONE, ready to sit.
QualiTcare 06:55 AM 01-04-2011

yeah, it's funny. my husband isn't as laid back as i am (people comment on how hyper he is and how laid back i am all the time) so it gets pretty wild around here. he'll freak out if they start taking cans out of the cabinet or dishes from the kitchen and i'm like WHO CARES!! he just couldn't BELIEVE i let my daughter use orange juice to play "tea set" with her dolls the other day. his mom was a "no" mom. my daughter asked him one day, "why does grandma look like she gets a suntan when she's inside?" because her face stays so red from panic LOL. she thinks the way i let the kids run around is just craaazy - she can't handle being around us together

i don't know why my kids aren't video gamers or TV zombies. they've always had free rein when it comes to tv, games, and wal mart toys they have tv's in their bedrooms too but you'd never know it. i have my treadmill in the living room and i have to hide the adapter to the outlet bc they'd stay on it all day if i'd let them. that's their idea of FUN.
i was telling my husband when we were talking about getting the Wii that most people complain their kids won't get away from the games, and i wish ours WOULD sit down in front of the TV and play a game now and then. it's the same with food - they can pretty much eat what they want and 9.5/10 times they choose healthy foods/drinks. i really wonder if restricting kids (what they can watch, what they can eat, etc) makes them develop an obsession with whatever it is they "can't have."
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Luna:
I LOVE the TV too!! I'd be soooo lost without my DVR!! I am probably having a harder time with no TV than any of the kids are! LOL!!

Originally Posted by marniewon:
Ha ha ha - I also watch the Today Show in the morning, for the same reason, check the weather forecast, try to stay in touch a little bit. When dck's get here, it goes to PBS - sesame street, curious george, super why, word world, etc. Sometimes kids are not even watching it and it's just background noise. I never used to have the tv on, but I have a drop-in who is super sensitive to new things and the tv was a really great way to transition him walking in the door being nervous to playing with the other kids. Many times my own teenagers will remind me it's on and at that point I'll turn it off. Tv will go off before lunch and will not go back on again that day, except for me to watch in the afternoon when the kids are napping, and then it's usually the food network....lol.
That's what I am missing....I had a smaller TV on top the fridge that I watched morning news and such but when I removed the TV in the living room the kids stood in the kitchen and stared up at the fridge so I removed them both... and I am now sad but I'm still surviving....so far....we'll see

Originally Posted by DBug:

This was my original line of thinking....I thought if the kids didn't get an over-load of TV time at daycare then when they went home and they watched it non-stop..... some of my 2 and 3yr old's parents have told me the kids have TV's in their rooms to watch movies until they fall asleep , so I was thinking that the TV they got at home would be more engaging to them since they didn't get it at daycare and then in a trickle down effect the kids would behave better and not be so crazy all the time. I have a couple kids who I know the parents put TV on and shoo the kids away constantly so it is a vicious cycle of looking for attention and when they arrive at daycare starved for attention and I turn the TV on too then I feel as though I am adding to the craziness.....anyways, I was hoping (probably in vain) that in essence eliminating the TV here would make them behave a bit calmer. We had it on before as back ground noise and a few would watch things here and there but it just seemed to add to all the chaos so I was thinking and then I started hoping...but now I'm just wondering if it will even have an impact since the kids now days seem to be consumed by the electronics in life...like a bug drawn to those blue light bug killers......
Little People 06:59 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I picked up two sets when I went to an early childhood conference for school and my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE them!! They are super easy to use and durable too! They get played with a minimum of twice a day by BOTH girls and boys. I have an 18 month old dcg who cries when it is time to put them away! I also have a dcb who is 5 and missed going to Kindergarten by a few months and even he plays with them. I am on the hunt for more so I can let everyone play at one time! Definitely worth the buy. I think I paid $20 for 4 dolls and a change of clothing for each doll. They do come with little magnetic bows and ribbons for the hair but I put those away because they are 1/2 the size of a penny and I was worried about choking and having them accidentally get vacuumed up all the time.
Thank you Blackcat, JC Penny has several good sales and their Melissa & Doug items. I always have a 20% off coupon and can use it on sale items. I am going to go look now! Target had some but they were not Melissa & Doug, but they were really cute. I think the sets were $14.99.
MommyMuffin 07:12 AM 01-04-2011
I turn on PBS while making breakfast, usually its only my daughter who is there then. I turn on a disney movie or dora from 11:00 - 11:30 while I make lunch. I have young children and babies so when the older ones get too roudy I will put on an elmo movie. I am just a family home daycare, not a preschool and I dont charge very much and I dont think a little tv would hurt my 2.5 yo. That is why I do not have a no TV rule. I also have found they love and learn a bit from super why.
nannyde 07:30 AM 01-04-2011
My prediction is that the kids born in 2011-12 will be the first kids in our history who are not going to use paper, pencil, or colors in their school work.

I think we will switch to completely electronic touch screen by the time they are in second grade. The kids born in 2015 and on will not even have it in their preK and kindy.
kidkair 08:01 AM 01-04-2011
Trying to play in full winter gear while you are waiting for seven other kids to get dressed is not that fun.
It's fun here. They only time they are all sitting fully dressed is when I'm getting my gear on. We sing songs and talk together. I dress everyone one article at a time. Everyone gets snow pants first then boots etc. It takes about 5 min per kid but we are laughing and having fun the whole time.
kidkair 08:02 AM 01-04-2011
My prediction is that the kids born in 2011-12 will be the first kids in our history who are not going to use paper, pencil, or colors in their school work.

I think we will switch to completely electronic touch screen by the time they are in second grade. The kids born in 2015 and on will not even have it in their preK and kindy.
They'll still be using that stuff here I guarantee it!
jen 08:10 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
They'll still be using that stuff here I guarantee it!
Aww, I don't know about that. I'm a couple hours south of you and our kids barely use that stuff now! My dd is in 2nd grade and every classroom in her school is equipped with a SmartBoard and several computers. My 5th grader emails his assignments in and my highschooler uses the online dropbox on his assisgments...that way they can run them through plagarizing software...

My son was just telling me about the new xbox game where they don't use ANY controller at all. I think that by the time our kids have kids, and I mean my 16 year old, not my 7 year old, life in general will be almost completely electronic.

Did you see Chevy's new i-phone app? You can start your car from ANYWHERE...lock the doors, whatever....
broncomom1973 08:12 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I have been looking at the Melissa & Doug Magnetic dolls any one have them? And if so do the kids play a lot with them?
I have 3 different sets, one that is the male doll, one that has 2 female
dolls, and one set that is 1 female doll. My own kids love these, including my 2 year old son. My 3 year old daughter also loves playing with these. Amazon.com ran a 50% off pre-Christmas Melissa and Doug sale and I went crazy, lol. I know that Stage also sells Melissa and Doug and you can usually find a printable 20-25% off coupon, so you can get a really good deal. As I said, Amazon is where I bought 2 of ours and they run deals every now and then.
Little People 08:19 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by broncomom1973:
I have 3 different sets, one that is the male doll, one that has 2 female
dolls, and one set that is 1 female doll. My own kids love these, including my 2 year old son. My 3 year old daughter also loves playing with these. Amazon.com ran a 50% off pre-Christmas Melissa and Doug sale and I went crazy, lol. I know that Stage also sells Melissa and Doug and you can usually find a printable 20-25% off coupon, so you can get a really good deal. As I said, Amazon is where I bought 2 of ours and they run deals every now and then.

Thank you!! I have been on Amazon and most of them are about $12, with free shipping!! I have some saved in my shopping cart.
QualiTcare 09:06 AM 01-04-2011

no way - they're going to have the same teachers who are out there now and they know better. there are always exceptions, but i don't see teachers as a whole letting that happen.
nannyde 09:50 AM 01-04-2011
no way - they're going to have the same teachers who are out there now and they know better. there are always exceptions, but i don't see teachers as a whole letting that happen.
Nah

Teachers aren't any different than any other subsect of the population. They will gravitate towards what is easier, faster, less adult involement, etc.

Teachers will be happy to have kids SITTING and doing work that doesn't require a lot of supervision. As long as the kids have head sets for the bells and whistles they will go for it. Once they and school administrators can tap into what the kids are doing electronically they will gravitate towards that.

It's coming
momofboys 10:00 AM 01-04-2011
I disagree, I have 2 of my own children in school (early elementary grades) & I am amazed at how much is done at school electronically!
melskids 10:05 AM 01-04-2011
i JUST read an article on how they are using ROBOTS in korea in the classroom to teach the children english.

its coming sooner then you think.

let me see if i can find the link.......
QualiTcare 10:07 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
I disagree, I have 2 of my own children in school (early elementary grades) & I am amazed at how much is done at school electronically!
oh, there are a ton of things that are done electronically. knowing how to use a computer these days is as necessary as teaching a kid to brush their teeth.

that's not the point.

i don't believe that within the next 5-10 years that all teachers will lose their minds and crayons/pencils/papers will be obsolete.

kindergarteners/first graders are still writing every day when they could be typing their stories on the computer and printing them out. most computers have coloring pages and a paint program - they're not using that instead of crayons. it's just not going to happen - not in my lifetime.
jen 10:08 AM 01-04-2011
Who knows, perhaps public education will be a thing of the past. We already have online elementary schools...

http://www.k12.com/

Middle School...

http://iqacademymn.org/program
melskids 10:11 AM 01-04-2011
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...1.html&h=cef95

about robot teachers....
nannyde 10:59 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Who knows, perhaps public education will be a thing of the past. We already have online elementary schools...

http://www.k12.com/

Middle School...

http://iqacademymn.org/program
Yup

And when they start offering a cash subsidy for all parents who will do it from home THEN we will see it flip. The average kid costs about 10K a year to educate. When the parents have access to that money per kid and the online computer based education is avalable we will see Districts offering it and parents taking them up on it.
kidkair 12:13 PM 01-04-2011
Aww, I don't know about that. I'm a couple hours south of you and our kids barely use that stuff now! My dd is in 2nd grade and every classroom in her school is equipped with a SmartBoard and several computers. My 5th grader emails his assignments in and my highschooler uses the online dropbox on his assisgments...that way they can run them through plagarizing software...

My son was just telling me about the new xbox game where they don't use ANY controller at all. I think that by the time our kids have kids, and I mean my 16 year old, not my 7 year old, life in general will be almost completely electronic.

Did you see Chevy's new i-phone app? You can start your car from ANYWHERE...lock the doors, whatever....
What I meant to say was that kids will still be using crayons and such here at my daycare. I will not ever go fully electronic regardless as to what schools do.
Cat Herder 01:05 PM 01-04-2011
Yup

And when they start offering a cash subsidy for all parents who will do it from home THEN we will see it flip. The average kid costs about 10K a year to educate. When the parents have access to that money per kid and the online computer based education is avalable we will see Districts offering it and parents taking them up on it.
I did k12 online public school for many years free. Mine just went back to brick and mortar this year for junior high. It is considered public education and the state recognizes it. I think they are up to 8 states now? I loved it, they supplied all the books, software, art supplies, science projects, field trips, a on-call teacher, and for most folks they even supplied the computer. (I earned too much) When my kids went back they all tested for Honors/AP Program and have been able to maintain straight A's and B's with very little effort (that scares me ALOT ) .

I guess it wont be long until they do pay you to do it to keep from having to build more schools?
jen 04:59 PM 01-04-2011
I think its a little scary...I work at home, went to school online, bank online, order groceries online. I can (and sadly have) gone days without leaving my house! Heck, my kids would rather text than carry on a phone coversation! There are days when I go in his room and he is playing online video games with his friends, texting someone else, and talking on facebook all at the same time. Oh, and don't forget Skype! Can you say elecontronic overload!?

Yikes! We are going to become a society of the socially inept!
Former Teacher 05:50 PM 01-04-2011
We hardly ever watch tv now. The only time I turn it on now is during naptime. If I had it on all day or eating or whenever, the little boy I watch would be transfixed and won't play. Depending on the moment, sometimes I will put it on when I have to use the bathroom. Otherwise it's not at all (other than nap, and then its just Clifford on PBS and then Food Network )

I did tell the little boy, even though he is only 3 years old, that we will be watching the Royal Wedding of Prince William. Told him that we will have a party with a crown cake etc...he got really excited. I am sure he didn't know a thing about what I was telling him about but I sure am excited!
misol 07:01 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I'm gonna say it. I really don't see the problem with TV in moderation, as long as it's something educational and age appropriate. We watch Nick Jr (Dora, Diego, Team Umizoomi; NOT Spongebob, Rugrats, etc b/c I don't see any educational value in them) or Playhouse Disney for about a half hour in the morning, and the 4 yr olds who only nap about 45 minutes watch Sesame Street as quiet time until naptime is over. And occasionally, when we have finished our afternoon cleanup and waiting for dc parents, I'll turn it on so that my house stays clean until dc parents get here.The rest of the day is arts/crafts, free play, outside play, snack & lunch.

Every once in a while (maybe once a month), I'll do a movie day where they will watch one or two movies throughout the day.
I agree - only educational programming and in moderation. I allow PBS, Disney, Sprout, and Noggin, Nick Jr. I have the TV on daily during dropoffs, pickups, and lunch prep. I have kids in care for longer but only have planned activities scheduled from 9-5. My TV is in a separate room from the playroom and there are no toys allowed in there. I find that even when I have the TV on, the kids still prefer to be in the playroom playing. TV is always optional I never make anyone sit and watch TV.
Luna 08:21 AM 01-05-2011
After four hours of trying to entertain and amuse this 6yo boy, this could very well become a Four-Dora day.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 01-05-2011
I think its a little scary...I work at home, went to school online, bank online, order groceries online. I can (and sadly have) gone days without leaving my house! Heck, my kids would rather text than carry on a phone coversation! There are days when I go in his room and he is playing online video games with his friends, texting someone else, and talking on facebook all at the same time. Oh, and don't forget Skype! Can you say elecontronic overload!?

Yikes! We are going to become a society of the socially inept!
This made me laugh because a few months ago, my DS who is 19 was living in his room....so my DH says to him "Ya gotta do something, be social, hang out with your friends..."
and my DS promptly replies "Yeah, every time I want to do something with my friends you guys say no"
So DH goes, "When have we ever told you that you can hang out with your friends?"
and DS replies, "You keep taking my internet away!"

When he doesn't do chores etc, he loses internet priviledges.....I had to sit him down and explain to him that hanging out with friends meant physically! But I guess that is the differrence between my generation and his!
Tags:television, tv time
Reply Up