Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tired Of Feeling Horribly Guilty When I Need A Day Off
daysofelijah 02:05 PM 02-03-2011
I need a job where I don't feel horribly guilty taking a day off. I just got notice in the mail of a court date I need to be at on February 28th. So the notice I'm giving is well over 2 weeks, but I just feel sick to do it. Ugh.
sahm1225 02:46 PM 02-03-2011
I know.. I hate that feeling.. I have one family in particular that would give me the hardest time (do you really need a WHOLE week? Oh no, now I have no one to watch DCD. You are going on vacation AGAIN, wow, that must be nice, etc.).

But this week DCM took a personal day from work (after saying she had NONE at her work) just to stay home.

Now I tell myself that I deserve the time off and that it is the parents responsibility to find back up care. Plus I wrote that on my contract and handbook (about having to find back up care and that I WILL take 3 weeks of vacation a year).
E Daycare 04:42 AM 02-04-2011
Im sorry you feel guilty and that parents have to be, well, parents.

When I worked my office job I felt guilty then because they always would throw a pity party for themselves when I couldnt come in. I think its our right as working people (in ANY job) to have days off without the guilt. Unless its being off once a week, then I can see. Thats not the case though. You work to take care of other peoples children and to provide a loving, safe and healthy environment. To ensure keep up with that, days off are 100% earned. After years of feeling gulity for taking off at my previous job I dont feel guilty what so ever for taking days off (unless they are sudden because Im sick) for my daycare. You give decent notice, its their job as parents to make sure their bases are covered too. My parents have the contract that states its their job to find up backup care for whatever comes up. There are pros and cons to home daycare. That would be a Con.

I have no guilt as I look at it this way, even though I need the business, if they cant handle it then they can find another place that will tailor to their complete needs. Or a facility. Easier said then done I know, especially when we like the dcf but stuff comes up. We try as good caregivers to be as compassionate and flexible as possible but sometimes for our own sanity we need to apply those rules to ourselves too.

Chin up, take your day off and get a coffee on your way to court
TSDaycare 05:26 AM 02-04-2011
I feel the same way as you-mostly feel bad when I have to close for sickness,etc. I know it is hard for some parents to take off-but I look at it this way: you knew when you decided to have children you would need daycare, and the children would get sick on occasion,you would need to take off work, and you then chose a home daycare-and I would get sick on occasion and you would have to take off- I also put this in my contract! I think we as daycare providers have too much heart sometimes. My parents all have very good jobs with benefits and I know they all get ample leave each year so I am trying to overcome the guilt myself. And funny you should mention the families giving you a hard time- the family who gives me the most crap has one child, and he is adopted- 2 yrs old, they act like it is the biggest pain in the rear to take off from their jobs but frankly I dont feel for you-maybe you overlooked this aspect when you decided to have kids?
SilverSabre25 05:40 AM 02-04-2011
I have a family making me feel guilty about taking one whole week off (unpaid!) when my baby is born. This is the family that is mad that I"m giving them a window of "sometime between May 1st and June 15th, but it could conceivably be earlier"--I'm due May 31st. They want to take their family vacation concurrent with my maternity "leave" and can't seem to understand why I can't give them a firm date for it...

Yeah...I get you about feeling guilty. Heck, I feel pretty guilty even without this family giving me trouble, because I know a couple of my families don't work jobs that give them paid time off or easy time off or anything like that. I know it's going to be a hardship on them.

I could desperately use a few days off, but won't take them because I feel too bad about it...
GG~DAYCARE 05:44 AM 02-04-2011
After 26 years of day care I FINALLY have a group of dck's who have solid backups!!! First time I can take a day off and not feel guilty!!!
Last year I was sick in the hospital and a Mom called me to ask when I "thought" I would be better! Jeez even the doc didn't have that answer!!! HAHA!!
Sunny Day 05:53 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have a family making me feel guilty about taking one whole week off (unpaid!) when my baby is born. This is the family that is mad that I"m giving them a window of "sometime between May 1st and June 15th, but it could conceivably be earlier"--I'm due May 31st. They want to take their family vacation concurrent with my maternity "leave" and can't seem to understand why I can't give them a firm date for it...

Yeah...I get you about feeling guilty. Heck, I feel pretty guilty even without this family giving me trouble, because I know a couple of my families don't work jobs that give them paid time off or easy time off or anything like that. I know it's going to be a hardship on them.

I could desperately use a few days off, but won't take them because I feel too bad about it...
I'm sorry, but that is completely RIDICULOUS! I would be telling that family that they can find other care permanently! I'm so sorry you have someone making you feel that way when you need time off more than anything. I would say ONLY a week off when you have a baby so your families don't have to find alternate care for too long is more than generous on your part! You should not feel bad at all! I'm sorry, that just makes me so angry! Good luck with your baby! Congrats!
lil angels 05:54 AM 02-04-2011
I always have felt so bad to. I have been doing this for 10 almost 11 yrs and I take 12 days a year and paid holidays. I love my time off with my family and I don't want to spoil it by thinking about what my parents are doing or thinking. I now take it and don't think anything of it.
Unregistered 08:51 AM 02-04-2011
When starting daycare 11 years ago I thought it would make it easier to take a day off starting my own business but in reality I feel terribly guilty when I do. It seems the only time I get time off is for kids events or if they are sick but I am taking a weeks vacation in a few weeks and will enjoy it in the sun and sand! I am looking forward to recharging my batteries and when I get back I will be ready to start daycare again!
Take your time and try to not let it get to you. Good Luck!
Angela
www.daycareheadquarters.com
Reply Up