Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Extended Absences What’s Your Policy?
lvt77 12:46 PM 02-08-2011
can you tell me what your policy is on extended absences?
Do you allowed for the children to use the DC while on leave???
How long do you give?
what do you charge?
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 02-08-2011
I allow 6 absent days per year. If a parent needs to take their child out for an extended period of time I would look at each situation individually. I have in the past allowed a child to be gone for a month (Family was from another country and went on an extended stay/visit) I charged that family 1/2 their normal rate to hold the spot. Child was 1/2 days M-F and a great policy following family. It goes both ways. Another mom had a 6 week absence. I allowed her child to use the free days first, then charged her 1/2 pay for the next week and full pay for any other absences after the first 2 weeks. This mom was always late with paying and scheduling etc.
littlemonkeys 01:00 PM 02-08-2011
There is a really good extended leave policy in this thread!

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...extended+leave
Cat Herder 04:31 PM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
can you tell me what your policy is on extended absences?

Fee scale is based on 6 full-time slots. Payment in full is expected whether child attends or not.

Courtesy Family Vacation is up to two weeks, per family, per year, unpaid. A mandatory/minimum 30 day notice is required to qualify.

These two weeks must be taken either in two full week, Monday-Friday, blocks or two weeks together. If child attends at all during the vacation week/weeks, payment in full will be expected.

Do you allowed for the children to use the DC while on leave???

No

How long do you give?

2 weeks max.

what do you charge?

Rates do not change except for 2 weeks unpaid per year....

The "per family" part is really important since it will be very disruptive when they try to split their vacations by only keeping out one child at a time, dragging it out for a month.

YES, they will try since being oppositional seems to be in the water when logic is not .

You also have to be specific in the "attends at all" instead of "attends one day" because they will argue that they don't owe since it was "only a couple hours on Monday morning so they could pack"....or something equally lame

I also do not grant Maternity leave unless I gave them the child or they were forced by the goverment to have one.... AKA, I am not responsible for the personal choices of others.
nannyde 04:53 PM 02-08-2011
No extended leave.

Pay same amount 52 weeks a year.
misol 05:09 PM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I also do not grant Maternity leave unless I gave them the child or they were forced by the goverment to have one.... AKA, I am not responsible for the personal choices of others.
This is way too funny
Abigail 08:49 PM 02-08-2011
Lilbutterflie,
You posted in the other thread your policy about extended leave. You said for unforeseen extended leaves like illness, you charge the full rate the first two weeks and then half the weekly rate after those first two weeks of leave for up to 12 total weeks to keep the child enrolled. What if it IS expected, like maternity....do you only charge half the weekly rate the entire time instead of full rate for the first two weeks?
jen 10:09 PM 02-08-2011
ONE time I gave a family a break for mat leave. She wanted to take 12 weeks, so I gave her 6 weeks free...She brought dcb 1/2 time over the course of her leave (I don't do part-time)

Guess what? I held the baby spot for months, lost 6 weeks worth of income and she brought them back and, yes, you guessed...gave notice.

Now, a "leave" means your done, unless of course you are still paying for the spot!
JenNJ 06:50 AM 02-09-2011
I allow Full Time children 5 unpaid days per year. After that, full rate. Part time children get no unpaid days. I do not have a maternity policy bc I expect to be paid and the child to be brought or paid and the child stay home. Either way, its not my issue. Pay for a spot or I fill it.
boysx5 07:44 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No extended leave.

Pay same amount 52 weeks a year.
my feelings exactly
e.j. 01:19 PM 02-09-2011
I can't afford to offer "leaves". If the parent wants the spot, they have to continue to pay for it. If they don't want to pay for the spot, they risk the chance that it will not be available for them when they need it.
Tags:extended absence, extended leave, policy
Reply Up