Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sudden Afternoon Fussiness
Lilbutterflie 02:28 PM 09-16-2011
Hi all!

It's been a looong time since I've been on the forum! I guess it's because things have been low key since not all of my spots are filled and the two I have haven't caused me any trouble! LOL

Well, until now. I have a 10 mo dcb that is usually an easy going baby. He usually only fusses if he's bored, tired or hungry. But lately, 4:00 in the afternoon hits and he is FUSSY. Whining, whining, whining, turns into flat out crying. I have tried everything from playing with him, changing scenery (giving him a different area to play in), holding him, feeding him a snack, to just putting him in his playpen to let him cry or (hopefully) go to sleep. His nap routine has consistently been from about 9-10:30am and 1-2:30pm. Sometimes one of those naps is shortened to 45 min, but the days when he gets full naps he still gets fussy at around 4pm. I feel bad when his mom picks up about 4:45 and he's totally fussy for her, too. I wish I knew what was causing it!! Of course, his mom just says "Don't worry, he's always like this for me anyway." But this has just been this past week, and he's never been like this for me! Anyone else dealt with sudden afternoon fussiness? Anything more that I can do to prevent it or help it?
youretooloud 02:36 PM 09-16-2011
I'm pretty fussy in the afternoons too!

Maybe it's just his "time to cry"? Actually ALL of my infants have a typical fussy time of day. It's usually after they go home. (which I appreciate) but, I think we just all have our daily limits.
awestbrook713 03:48 PM 09-16-2011
i have my own 7 month old who is cranky from 4 or 5 on until bed. I think its just a stage he is going through. Infants are just like that and even though hes a baby maybe hes anticipating his mom arriving.
Lilbutterflie 03:52 PM 09-16-2011
Maybe y'all are right. His mom says he's fussy with her in the evening EVERY night. For me, he is usually one of the best babies I've ever watched! I hope it's just a phase... that whining and crying gets real old real quick! It puts me in a sour mood for evenings with my family.
Country Kids 04:40 PM 09-16-2011
Could it be collick? My own children were fussy from about 5 till 9 every night for quite a while.
sahm2three 05:29 PM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Hi all!

It's been a looong time since I've been on the forum! I guess it's because things have been low key since not all of my spots are filled and the two I have haven't caused me any trouble! LOL

Well, until now. I have a 10 mo dcb that is usually an easy going baby. He usually only fusses if he's bored, tired or hungry. But lately, 4:00 in the afternoon hits and he is FUSSY. Whining, whining, whining, turns into flat out crying. I have tried everything from playing with him, changing scenery (giving him a different area to play in), holding him, feeding him a snack, to just putting him in his playpen to let him cry or (hopefully) go to sleep. His nap routine has consistently been from about 9-10:30am and 1-2:30pm. Sometimes one of those naps is shortened to 45 min, but the days when he gets full naps he still gets fussy at around 4pm. I feel bad when his mom picks up about 4:45 and he's totally fussy for her, too. I wish I knew what was causing it!! Of course, his mom just says "Don't worry, he's always like this for me anyway." But this has just been this past week, and he's never been like this for me! Anyone else dealt with sudden afternoon fussiness? Anything more that I can do to prevent it or help it?
I think it's the time of day. They are DONE by that time. I usually take this time to get down on the floor and play and cuddle and sing and be extra silly! Hang in there!
SilverSabre25 08:05 PM 09-16-2011
What about teething?
Zoe 07:14 AM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I think it's the time of day. They are DONE by that time. I usually take this time to get down on the floor and play and cuddle and sing and be extra silly! Hang in there!
I agree with this. I have a 16 month old who is whiny as all get out once 4 hits. She's here until from 6:30 til 5:30 so she's just ready to go home. And you know what? I'm ready for her to go home too.

In addition, my own DD was like this at that age too. Afternoons can be very long.
nannyde 09:10 AM 09-17-2011
I've had a lot of four p.m. screamers. My son was one and you could set your watch on it.

The thing I would do FIRST is add an hour to his afternoon nap. Give him as close to a three hour nap as possible.

What time does he get there?

Can you lay him down for a morning nap right away (eight to nine fifteen) and then have him nap from noon to three?

You might want to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm
cheerfuldom 09:38 AM 09-19-2011
I have a 5:00 screamer, I feel bad because she is always crying by pickup. There is nothing that changes this though, she is just ready to go for the day at 5 but mom doesn't come for 30 more minutes.
Lilbutterflie 10:02 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I've had a lot of four p.m. screamers. My son was one and you could set your watch on it.

The thing I would do FIRST is add an hour to his afternoon nap. Give him as close to a three hour nap as possible.

What time does he get there?

Can you lay him down for a morning nap right away (eight to nine fifteen) and then have him nap from noon to three?

You might want to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm
I think a longer would help him... but I have not been successful in pulling that off. Do you have any pointers on how to do this?

I have an almost completely dark room. I also have white noise playing. Generally he seems to naturally wake up from afternoon nap after an hour and a half. I have tried leaving him in there an extra half hour or so to see if he'll go back to sleep, but he starts screaming after 15 minutes and he is a stubborn one... once he gets in "the screaming zone", he stays there.

Any suggestions to get his afternoon nap extended would be greatly appreciated!
Tags:fussy
Reply Up