Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher's Families
JenNJ 08:47 AM 05-16-2011
I have a dc child whose mother is a teacher. He is already here on a part time basis (funky schedule that rotates on an every other week basis -- will hopefully eliminate this in the fall). I love the family and the child. We have not discussed summer plans yet. Mom is a gem though and keeps her child home with her on every single day off and pays full fees per contract.

I was thinking of telling her that her 3 day minimum will still be required over the summer in order to assure him a spot come September. He can attend or not, her choice. I am also implementing a full time pay schedule in the fall. I cant fill the opposite days this child is here bc it rotates so I am having a new contract signed in the fall stating full pay only.

Anyone have any summer teacher letters or rate/policy change letters they want to share?
snowborden1 09:14 AM 05-16-2011
I have a dcb who's mother is a teacher. She teaches year round kinder so she gets 3 weeks off in the winter, spring, and fall and in the summer I think it is 6 weeks. She pays full time rates for the time she is off work and brings her son 3 days a week during that time in order to keep him on his schedule here unless they are going on vacation. I do require full time rates to be paid though as I limit my daycare to only 3 dck and I still have to make a living. If I had a larger daycare I would probably offer a discount such as lowering my daily rate but still charging for 5 days a week, or just charging for a couple days a week.
wdmmom 09:21 AM 05-16-2011
I have 1 parent that is a teacher. I allow them 2 options:

1.) Drop down to part time status: 2 days or 20 hours but must have the same schedule weekly.

2.) 50% off for Winter and Spring break and if child doesn't attend summer, no payment. I do require a 1 month deposit though.

I would much rather the mom keep him for 9 weeks and make my summer workload lighter!
sharlan 09:31 AM 05-16-2011
I let my teachers stop for the summer, then picked them back up in the fall. I liked the lighter load for summer as we run all summer long. My one parent wanted her kids to go on the outings so she paid by the day for the days they came.
daycare 09:35 AM 05-16-2011
I'm with you. No more P/T care. I am also in CA, northern..

I have allowed a family with two kids come Tue Wed Th, which leaves 2 open spots on a monday-Friday..Who needs those days? No one. So I have been losing out on money big time...

I don't give teachers any breaks... They are paying customers just like the rest...
snbauser 10:13 AM 05-16-2011
For my teachers kids I offer a part time rate for the summer that allows them to hold their spot for the fall. I give them two options - mon - fri 8:30-11:30 or 3 full days. 5 of my 12 kids have a parent in the school system (4 teachers and 1 counselor). I only have 2 of them that took me up on the offer. One is coming 3 full days and the other is 5 days for 3 hrs/day.
KEG123 10:18 AM 05-16-2011
I have a teacher interviewing tonight. She wants part time summers, full time school year. I'm willing to do this, so long as she commits to 3 days minimum for part time.
MG&Lsmom 04:25 PM 05-16-2011
Due to my own school age child being counted in my capacity, I would have no problem allowing a teacher to take the summer off. In fact, I need them to keep their child home so I can stay in compliance. I could then be at capacity all year round. It is tough on the child to come back after 10 weeks home though. I did it when I was teaching and had a wonderful DCP who let me take the summer off. She was in the same boat so it was a win-win.
Abigail 06:28 PM 05-16-2011
I was thinking of telling her that her 3 day minimum will still be required over the summer in order to assure him a spot come September.
*This above is good. You shouldn't necessarily say to assure him a spot come September because you have not told her you will only take full time 5 days a week payment come September so it's like a trick. Say what is in bold.

I am also implementing a full time pay schedule in the fall.
*I would start thinking about writing a letter to inform parents of the change. I would post it 8 weeks ahead of time. Make sure you have contracts ready in August and make a time to go over any new changes for contract. You can keep it simple and have everyone sign a new contract come August/September.

Anyone have any summer teacher letters or rate/policy change letters they want to share?
*My thoughts is sticking to the 3-day minimum. If you start treating teachers extra special pretty soon it's going to be "Well, I'm in construction" "I'm in snow removal" and everyone will constantly be updating contracts. I would not put "teachers options" in writing in a handbook or contract and just keep it simple and on a case by case basis.
MamaBear 06:42 PM 05-16-2011
4 out of 5 of my daycare families are teachers. They all pay for breaks and most keep their kids home - some bring randomly. I used to offer free breaks, but it got too hard for me financially to continue that deal. So they all pay their regular fees thru breaks here.
bice99 07:12 PM 05-16-2011
I was a teacher for 11 years. My DH still is. For the summer, my families pay a 1/2 holding fee. As a courtesy, I allow them to bring their child 1/5 of normal hours. I figure my entering infants pay a hold rate of 1/2 fees so teachers should too. That means a FT kid only comes one day and I get to pick the day by June 1st based on my summer schedule. If they want more days, they need to pay my 3 day per week minimum.
MissAnn 09:22 AM 05-17-2011
6 out of 8 of my kids are teachers kids. They came to me pretty much all at once because they were not happy with the program (in an elementary school) the kids attended. They were used to having all summers and breaks without paying. I used to work at the program....I never had a paid holiday or sick time...or anything. So.....I ended up inheriting all these kids one by one. I told the first mom she didn't have to pay for summer but had to pay 1/2 price for the breaks and full pay for Holidays. I now regret it......because I felt like I needed to do the same for the rest of the teachers. So....this summer I will be VERY poor! They ALL know that NEXT summer they will pay 1/2 price for summer and full price for breaks and Holidays.

I have a question though. I give msyelf a one week vacation every year....PAID. The stupid thing is that I've been taking it in the summer when there's really no one to pay it! So......I am planning on taking 2 vacations.....at 1/2 price. I THINK I will have teachers pay 1/2 price (not the summer 1/2 price with another 1/2 price taken off) in the summer......but not sure. Then I will take another one during Christmas.

I read somewhere that Tom Copeland suggested having the teachers pay so much extra per pay period to cover their summer, breaks, and your vacation. Has anyone done this? It makes sense because a teacher who has a 4 year old will pull their child out leaving you with out that vacation pay. At least you will have it partially.

I'm rambling....but I've love to hear more ideas about teachers breaks AND YOUR VACATION.
nannyde 09:59 AM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
6 out of 8 of my kids are teachers kids. They came to me pretty much all at once because they were not happy with the program (in an elementary school) the kids attended. They were used to having all summers and breaks without paying. I used to work at the program....I never had a paid holiday or sick time...or anything. So.....I ended up inheriting all these kids one by one. I told the first mom she didn't have to pay for summer but had to pay 1/2 price for the breaks and full pay for Holidays. I now regret it......because I felt like I needed to do the same for the rest of the teachers. So....this summer I will be VERY poor! They ALL know that NEXT summer they will pay 1/2 price for summer and full price for breaks and Holidays.

I have a question though. I give msyelf a one week vacation every year....PAID. The stupid thing is that I've been taking it in the summer when there's really no one to pay it! So......I am planning on taking 2 vacations.....at 1/2 price. I THINK I will have teachers pay 1/2 price (not the summer 1/2 price with another 1/2 price taken off) in the summer......but not sure. Then I will take another one during Christmas.

I read somewhere that Tom Copeland suggested having the teachers pay so much extra per pay period to cover their summer, breaks, and your vacation. Has anyone done this? It makes sense because a teacher who has a 4 year old will pull their child out leaving you with out that vacation pay. At least you will have it partially.

I'm rambling....but I've love to hear more ideas about teachers breaks AND YOUR VACATION.
They ALL know that NEXT summer they will pay 1/2 price for summer and full price for breaks and Holidays.

Just be prepared for a mass exodus when this gets close. Going from no obligation to half is going to be something that will get people to just pick a new day care where they can start with a fresh slate in the fall.

It works when it's so far away because their agreement is just words. When it gets close it will be a natural transition time. If you are really going to do it get it in writing BEFORE the school year starts.
nannyde 10:10 AM 05-17-2011

It makes perfect sense BUT in the end the teachers just look at your RATE. They want a regular or good deal rate and only have an obligation for the school year.

So when they are picking child care they are just comparing your weekly price to anothers weekly price.

In this economy they know they can get someone to just do the school year.
MissAnn 10:19 AM 05-17-2011
I don't think so. At least not in this case. They all left the program where they did not pay for that time off. They left quickly and gladly and came to me. I used to run the other program and they noticed the difference. They replaced me with inexperienced workers and now they realize the importance of quality care which they did not get it at the other place. It's hard to explain....but parents were actually in charge of the program and that only meant year after year of fighting and hiring workers who had no experience just to keep fees low. My weekly fee is actually lower than theirs and kids don't have to bring lunches......I make very good lunches!
MissAnn 10:21 AM 05-17-2011
[quote=It makes perfect sense BUT in the end the teachers just look at your RATE. They want a regular or good deal rate and only have an obligation for the school year.

So when they are picking child care they are just comparing your weekly price to anothers weekly price.

In this economy they know they can get someone to just do the school year.[/QUOTE]

I agree.......I haven't figured how much more per week it woud be....but the bottom line is how much you pay per week. I could take 2 week vacations where one is paid (Christmas!) and one unpaid (summer).
momma2girls 12:51 PM 05-17-2011
I had to increase my rate for them being off in the summer- this last contract year. I only had a 2 week dep. for the summer to hold their spot. Now I am doing 2 weeks, plus 2 more weeks. The last 2 weeks will go towards their first 2 weeks of daycare. Then I can assure they will come back, by me holding a spot for them. I had one teacher, with an infant, hold a spot with a 2 week dep. but cancelled one week before school started back, she found daycare that her friend goes to that just had an opening open up for her infant.
You must do enough, that they will not back out of it!!
I have all teacher's right now, so I have the summers almost all off, except a school ager coming 2 days/week.
For the Winter/Spring breaks, I gave them a break on them as well- 1/2 off for each of them- by them keeping the child home with them for the weeks that they are off. This seemed to work well, this last yr. and think I will be keeping this.
momma2girls 12:52 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

It makes perfect sense BUT in the end the teachers just look at your RATE. They want a regular or good deal rate and only have an obligation for the school year.

In this economy they know they can get someone to just do the school year.
I wonder if anyone has done this? If so how much more would you charge per week?
Tags:assistant, summer
Reply Up