Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Excited About Dr. Seuss B-Day, Share Ideas
daycare 12:48 PM 02-22-2012
Can you share what you do for the day, week or month..

For those of you that do FUnshine express have you got your box yet? I can't wait to see what is in it.

here is one fun link I found

http://familycrafts.about.com/gi/dyn..._and_play.html

Also, anyone have a pattern or craft idea to make hats?
PitterPatter 01:26 PM 02-22-2012
No but that's a fun idea! Thanks for sharing!
Cat Herder 01:31 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
For those of you that do FUnshine express have you got your box yet? I can't wait to see what is in it.
Not yet..... will they be doing a Seuss theme?

That is the only thing I DON'T like. I have no idea what I am buying until it gets here...

Or did I miss something somewhere, again...

Oriental Trading has great Seuss stuff...
daycare 01:34 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:

That is the only thing I DON'T like. I have no idea what I am buying until it gets here...

they do have a breakdown of what you will be getting in the box. if you go to the months theme, it will tell you what you will cover for that month. It does not say what will be inside, which stinks, but I always add to it anyways...

going to check out OT...great idea thanks
daycare 01:37 PM 02-22-2012
I think we are going to make thing one and thing two shirts too....lol that would be fun...
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Yes, Funshine Express does a celebration of Dr Suess as part of their curriculum. It is actually the theme for the whole week.
That was 2009 and 2008 so I suppose this years is similar. (I couldn't find the 2010 or 2011 Curriculum Guides to check)
Cat Herder 01:44 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, Funshine Express does a celebration of Dr Suess as part of their curriculum. It is actually the theme for the whole week.
  • Monday-No materials supplied for craft
  • Tuesday-Hat of the Cat art supplies given
  • Wednesday-Truffala Trees art supplies given
  • Thursday-Red Fish/Blue Fish art supplies given
  • Friday- No materials provided.
That was 2009 and 2008 so I suppose this years is similar. (I couldn't find the 2010 or 2011 Curriculum Guides to check)
Cool, Thanks!! I got a shipping confirmation, so I guess it will be here tomorrow.
SD DaycareMOM 02:03 PM 02-22-2012
I have about 5 different Dr. Suess idea resources pinned here: http://pinterest.com/hilary_cypher/w...so-doing-this/
I am excited, too! The kids (and I!) always have so much fun with Dr. Seuss week!!!
daycare 02:03 PM 02-22-2012
thanks for sharing that. I hope its fun stuff. I accidentally placed my order too late with funshine exp and won't get it until Tuesday....

here is another link....craft ideas

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/mar...l/blmar2nd.htm
MarinaVanessa 02:58 PM 02-22-2012
We eat green eggs and ham for breakfast

I have a cat in the hat costume (hat, gloves, bow-tie and tail) that I'll wear on Friday, probably only until the kids ask for a turn which will probably be all of 10 minutes lol.

Other than that jus reading all if their favorite Dr. Seuss books.

On Saturday I'm taking my DD to Lakeshpre Learning for free crafts in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday. That's just for our own special girls day bonding time.
newtodaycare22 04:18 PM 02-22-2012
Monday- Crazy Sock Day

Tuesday-??for what the kids bring/wear

Wednesday-Wacky Wednesday

Thursday-Hat Day

Friday-??for what the kids bring/wear

Dr. Seuss’s Birthday! Green Eggs and Ham!

I'll be doing special art projects and stuff but we did this type of thing last year (daily things) and the kids loved it. I think I had a pajama day last year but we did one recently. Any other ideas?
Cat Herder 10:37 AM 02-24-2012
Well, my Funshine Buttercups kit got here...

Nothing Seussical.. Great info on Managing Behaviors, Routines, Scaffolding, Centers and Inclusion, though.

Worth checking out for newer folks. Would have been nice in my first few years.
daycare 11:05 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Well, my Funshine Buttercups kit got here...

Nothing Seussical.. Great info on Managing Behaviors, Routines, Scaffolding, Centers and Inclusion, though.

Worth checking out for newer folks. Would have been nice in my first few years.
really....it says on the website that it cover the DOCS b-day

wait are you firefiles or buttercups?

this is what they have listed for march
Silly Dr. Seuss*
You Are What You Eat (2)+
Here Comes the Circus
Cat Herder 11:16 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
really....it says on the website that it cover the DOCS b-day

wait are you firefiles or buttercups?

this is what they have listed for march
Silly Dr. Seuss*
You Are What You Eat (2)+
Here Comes the Circus
Nope...my week one "Spring" is "Good Eats" and is all about the sippy cup.... It is buttercups.

Maybe I need to bump up to fireflys next time...
daycare 11:26 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Nope...my week one "Spring" is "Good Eats" and is all about the sippy cup.... It is buttercups.

Maybe I need to bump up to fireflys next time...
the fireflies is pretty good, but a lot of the stuff is difficult for even some of my 4 year olds. The girls get it pretty quick, but they are both 4 and I think are above average academically. The boys that are 4 are light years behind those two and struggle with a lot of the activities...

I have to change them for the boys
Countrygal 12:20 PM 02-24-2012
The only thing I have planned so far is "Inside, Outside, Upside Down" day on the 1st. I'm planning an obstacle course for sure, some Seuss books, and the traditional green eggs and ham brekky.

I know Friday is the actual day and will prolly do some more activities on Friday.
meganlavonnesmommy 04:06 PM 02-24-2012
We're of course reading tons of dr seuss books,
doing goldfish sorting (buying the different colored goldfish and sorting them by color for one fish two fish, red fish blue fish)
Making green eggs and ham for breakfast
painting with our feet for the foot book
coloring cat in the hat hats
playing hide and seek with green plastic easter eggs
balancing things like the cat in the hat
and watching the cat in the hat movie on friday

I cant wait, I LOVE dr Seuss!
SD DaycareMOM 08:21 AM 02-25-2012
Oh, I just remembered our foot paintings that we did last year to go along with The Foot Book! That was a lot of fun - we traced each child's feet and then they painted them and we made a bulletin board that said "Oh How Many Feet You Meet!" We have also painted using our feet, but not to go along with Dr. Seuss, that was fun too! You can see pictures of that here: http://www.hilaryshomedaycare.com/2/...-painting.html
And we usually make "Blue Goo" (like in "Fox In Socks") either with cornstarch and water (and blue food coloring) or else with white glue and liquid starch (and blue food coloring). And we have a silly socks day.

I love Dr. Seuss week!
beachgrl 10:45 AM 02-28-2012
[quote=SD DaycareMOM;200996]Oh, I just remembered our foot paintings that we did last year to go along with The Foot Book! That was a lot of fun - we traced each child's feet and then they painted them and we made a bulletin board that said "Oh How Many Feet You Meet!" We have also painted using our feet, but not to go along with Dr. Seuss, that was fun too! You can see pictures of that here: http://www.hilaryshomedaycare.com/2/...-painting.html

Thanks, we painted with our feet today and I just love this week too!
melskids 11:11 AM 02-28-2012
Yesterday we painted with red and white paint. When it dried, we made hats out of them. Not necessarily striped like the cat's, but they did it on their own.

I put blue water beads in a fish bowl (see water bead thread)

Today we went to the library, and then came home and read the nose book. They drew self portraits while looking in a mirror, then added funny noses I printed out.

We do feet painting and an obstacle course as well.

Apple prints for ten apples on top

Definetly make oobleck!

red and white jello parfaits for snack

I don't now what else yet, I'm kind of wingin' it as we go along!

http://www.obseussed.com/p/books.html
daycare 11:15 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Yesterday we painted with red and white paint. When it dried, we made hats out of them. Not necessarily striped like the cat's, but they did it on their own.

I put blue water beads in a fish bowl (see water bead thread)

Today we went to the library, and then came home and read the nose book. They drew self portraits while looking in a mirror, then added funny noses I printed out.

We do feet painting and an obstacle course as well.

Apple prints for ten apples on top

Definetly make oobleck!

red and white jello parfaits for snack

I don't now what else yet, I'm kind of wingin' it as we go along!

http://www.obseussed.com/p/books.html
fabulous!! Love all of these ideas...Our kick off to Dr. Seuss does not start until March 1.....I can't wait anymore...lol

I love the hat idea. We are going to use trader joe paper bags and paint them red and white.

Green eggs and ham

lots of cool sites I have found have mostly printable sheets that I am just not into....ugh so thanks for posting your cool stuff.

I also plan to do as a PP mentioned and read the foot book and then paint with out feet.....
melskids 11:28 AM 02-28-2012
Well, the UPS man JUST came, and brought the alphabet cookie cutters I ordered! YEAH!

So, tomorrow, I think we will bake letter cookies for the ABC book!
daycare 11:31 AM 02-28-2012
Well, the UPS man JUST came, and brought the alphabet cookie cutters I ordered! YEAH!

sweet idea.... I have tons of cookie cutters and could do that..... are you actually backing cookies or just going to make clay-dough??
SD DaycareMOM 11:34 AM 02-28-2012

I love it! One of my dck was so excited about bringing in her own ABC book from home this morning! I have alphabet cookie cutters!!! We might just have to do this when they wake up today! Thanks!
melskids 11:54 AM 02-28-2012
I think we may just have to make real cookies, because that just sounds too yummy not to
Heidi 11:58 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by SD DaycareMOM:
Oh, I just remembered our foot paintings that we did last year to go along with The Foot Book! That was a lot of fun - we traced each child's feet and then they painted them and we made a bulletin board that said "Oh How Many Feet You Meet!" We have also painted using our feet, but not to go along with Dr. Seuss, that was fun too! You can see pictures of that here: http://www.hilaryshomedaycare.com/2/...-painting.html
And we usually make "Blue Goo" (like in "Fox In Socks") either with cornstarch and water (and blue food coloring) or else with white glue and liquid starch (and blue food coloring). And we have a silly socks day.

I love Dr. Seuss week!
Thank you for that idea! I don't really have a bulletin board, and use my livingroom/dinning/kitchen combo for my daycare. I think the surrounding the front door will be a perfect place to do this, though! I just put up the words and a couple pics of the character over the door. After nap, we will do the foot prints and then I'll surround the door with them randomly...
SD DaycareMOM 12:11 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Thank you for that idea! I don't really have a bulletin board, and use my livingroom/dinning/kitchen combo for my daycare. I think the surrounding the front door will be a perfect place to do this, though! I just put up the words and a couple pics of the character over the door. After nap, we will do the foot prints and then I'll surround the door with them randomly...
Glad you liked it...have fun! We are going to paint with our feet again tomorrow!

I hang things up like a "bulletin board" in that spot a lot, it is right by the front door where the parents come in. The kids love to run up to it and point out their contributions. I just found a pic of our other Foot Book poster/board form last year, too:
Attached: IMG_1394.jpg (72.8 KB) 
daycare 12:14 PM 02-28-2012
Glad you liked it...have fun! We are going to paint with our feet again tomorrow!

I hang things up like a "bulletin board" in that spot a lot, it is right by the front door where the parents come in. The kids love to run up to it and point out their contributions. I just found a pic of our other Foot Book poster/board form last year, too:
Im moving to SD I Love your daycare website and all of your activities..

I want to steal this bulletin board Idea......
Heidi 12:29 PM 02-28-2012

Very cool! I've decided that I'll do foot prints for this one in each of their colors (each kiddo here has a color for their cup, cubby labels, blanket and such). Once they dry, I will surround the door with them. We don't have a lot of wall space here-log home with lots of windows.
Tags:birthday, crafts, dr. seuss, funshine express
Reply Up