Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Prepared Meals
B Lou 08:49 AM 08-20-2012
In today's busy world I would like to help my DCP try to stay away from fast food.

I have come up with a plan to have prepared meals for them to buy from me. A list of dinner that will be available for them each day or as they wish.

Lasagna
Pot pies
Hot dishes
ect.

My question is how do any of you think i can do this and still be able to deduct the supplies and the food?

If I rent a town hall once a month to prepare food I wouldn't think I would have to have my kitchen inspected.

Input please.
itlw8 09:01 AM 08-20-2012
Is your town hall kitchen licensed? most are not unless they rent it out to people selling food I doubt it is inspected and licensed.
In most areas you can not use your home kitchen either

The biggest problem is burn out you already work long days.
crazydaycarelady 09:16 AM 08-20-2012
I thought about doing that before! My thought was that I would do it on a couple of specific days each week and there would be a deadline to let me know if you wanted the dinners or not. My hubby asked around at work if people thought it was a good idea and people LOVED the idea........so much that people I don't even do daycare for wanted the dinners. After that it sounded too overwhelming so I never did it.
B Lou 12:00 PM 08-20-2012
well the town hall that I was thinking of using has a lot of different dinners and benefits in it. So I will have to ask if it is licensed.

My thought was to cook on the weekend when daycare is closed.

Yes I also have had alot of people tell me they are interested in it. But I would only offer it to my daycare families. At least in the beginning.
spud912 01:47 PM 08-20-2012
First call your local health department to see what are the requirements. I would ask them what they suggest as far as where to cook/prepare the food. They may already have a list of preferred kitchens that they recommend.
heyhun77 07:29 PM 08-21-2012
I have done this for my daycare families but not for payment. I would give them a coupon to order from the list of meals and they would turn it in with the date they wanted their meal and I would have it ready for them to take home at pick up time that day. It was my way of saying thank you for being great clients. I did it for random holidays like Valentine's day, St. Patrick's Day, ect instead of buying their kids candy or toys that break. I would include a homemade version of table talk to play while they ate to foster family dinner talks.
DaisyMamma 04:57 AM 08-22-2012
Do you have a large daycare? If not, I wouldn't worry so much about deductions and claiming income right away. Just do it as cash until you get established and are making a certain amount doing it.
Good idea.
Countrygal 05:37 AM 08-22-2012
I'm not sure of your state, but in our state in order to sell food you have to have a state licensed (not daycare) kitchen - it involves stainless steel everywhere, etc.

I think what I, personally, would do, is to offer the meals for an increase in the daily rate - for example, $3.00 a day for meals. How many would you like this week? This might get you by, but I'm not sure because I've always worked through the program. I'm not sure it would not be construed as selling the meals.

Either way, if you charge for the meals you can't claim it on your taxes. At BEST you could only claim the difference between what you charge and what the meal actually costs.

Honestly, for me it would not be worth the bother. I'd just do meals and increase the daily rate. No choice for the parents. That way you can claim the standard meal deduction.
crazydaycarelady 06:02 AM 08-22-2012
I agree with DaisyMomma - I would just do it in as very casual manner at first so you could see if you like it.
Tags:meals, prepared meals
Reply Up