Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 yo and Her Megaphone Voice
Josiegirl 04:53 PM 01-30-2014
I'm not sure why she does it but she cannot seem to talk normally. She almost yells every time she says something. I've tried reminding her that we're right here, we can hear her so she doesn't have to yell. I've tried whispering back to her so maybe she'll get the hint. I'll motion for her to lower her voice. She's not always like this but probably 85 % of the time.
I think it's just in her 'make up' or something, she can be an emotional child. Can you think of something I could try that might work? I don't think there's anything wrong with her hearing.
Thanks everybody
Annalee 05:08 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm not sure why she does it but she cannot seem to talk normally. She almost yells every time she says something. I've tried reminding her that we're right here, we can hear her so she doesn't have to yell. I've tried whispering back to her so maybe she'll get the hint. I'll motion for her to lower her voice. She's not always like this but probably 85 % of the time.
I think it's just in her 'make up' or something, she can be an emotional child. Can you think of something I could try that might work? I don't think there's anything wrong with her hearing.
Thanks everybody
I have one like that...She only comes two days a week but the noise level escalates on those days because of her loud voice. She is a pleasant child, but her voice just carries across the room, out the door into the next town.
Cradle2crayons 05:14 PM 01-30-2014
Thanks everybody
I have one just like that. The middle girl of the three sibling set. It was bad when she first started last year, but has improved. I just remind her inside voice.
MyAngels 05:17 PM 01-30-2014
I've got one too. To make matters worse mine is constantly talking, to herself even, when no one else is paying attention .

I'll be watching this thread since I can't figure out how to stop it either.
Laurel 06:58 PM 01-30-2014
Thanks everybody
Got one here too and it is my grandson. My granddaughter used to be the same way but grew out of it at least.

I could never think of a way to stop it.

Laurel
Msdunny 07:11 PM 01-30-2014
I have one just like this, to the point that she is often hoarse. But her entire family is very loud, and she is the youngest of 4 kids. I think it is just that family's make up, and how she gets her voice heardm kwim? I usually remind her to use her quiet voice when I can't take anymore, but I don't think I can change it.
Starburst 10:12 PM 01-30-2014
Well if lowering your voice doesn't work, maybe try responding more to her when she is using a 'calm voice' than her 'outside voice' (especially if she doesn't do this all the time). Or when she isn't shouting when she talks try praising her more "Thank you for using a calm voice", "I like it when you talk to me with your 'calm voice' instead of your outside voice."

Maybe try some group voice time. give them about 5 to 10 minutes (if you can stand that long) where you teach the children about "inside"/"calm" voices and "outside"/"alarming" voices.
Then they can do a volume exercise:
0- Mouthing words/ not talking/ thinking (you can have them move their mouths but not using voice or have them just do the shhh face without saying "Shhh")
1- Mumble/hum (too low)
2- whisper (lower than normal; 'secret voice')
3- Talk (normal/'calm')
4- Project/sing (a little louder than talking)
5- Shouting/yelling (too loud; 'emergency' voice)
_Dana_ 10:46 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Maybe try some group voice time. give them about 5 to 10 minutes (if you can stand that long) where you teach the children about "inside"/"calm" voices and "outside"/"alarming" voices.
Then they can do a volume exercise:
0- Mouthing words/ not talking/ thinking (you can have them move their mouths but not using voice or have them just do the shhh face without saying "Shhh")
1- Mumble/hum (too low)
2- whisper (lower than normal; 'secret voice')
3- Talk (normal/'calm')
4- Project/sing (a little louder than talking)
5- Shouting/yelling (too loud; 'emergency' voice)
Great idea! Sounds like a fun activity too. My kids would love this!
Pestle 12:19 PM 01-25-2019
Half-decade-old BUMP.

Hey. Guess what?
I have a three-year-old who is only here once a week. Half the time he is too excited to nap and cannot stand having other people nap while he is awake. He is BFFs with a full-time kid I have, so Fridays are chaotic and loud and I have to separate them to get them to pay attention and obey me. Otherwise, it's all laughing and egging each other on and running around until someone is on the floor in tears.

Guess what he's doing now? Guess what? You'll never guess. He is making a musical of his toilet time. He has a soundtrack to everything. He has been yelling "DUN da DUN da DUN" continuously today. The other kids are still sleeping because he kept them up an hour later than they usually fall asleep. He is currently sitting on the potty, singing loudly to narrate exactly what he's doing right now.

I pulled him out of the room where they are napping so that they COULD nap. I told him that, if he had to sing and shout during that time, he was going to have to sit in a chair in the dining room while I cleaned around him. He swung all over the chair, got sad, told me he wanted to take a nap, went into the other room where are the other kids had fallen asleep less than two minutes prior, lay down, and immediately shouted at full volume, "MISS PESTLE! IS NAPTIME OVER NOW? I THINK NAPTIME IS OVER NOW."

He just sang/yelled his way past me to get back to playing. For some reason, every toy becomes so much louder in his hands. Banging, dropping, slacking, clanging. The dining room table is covered in toys that, sadly, are shouting too loudly and have to take a break. when I try voice modulation activities with him, he stares at me in confusion.
Josiegirl 03:17 PM 01-25-2019
Good Grief, how do you stand it?? Even for 1 day a week?? TGIF is all I can think.
Enjoy your weekend!!!!
Have to admit though, you had me chuckling at the music scores for using the toilet images. Lol
sharlan 07:05 AM 01-26-2019
Good luck.

I still have to tell my 23 yo granddaughter to lower her voice. Her bf is just as loud.
Mike 07:30 AM 01-26-2019
I know a few people who are very loud talkers. Most of them were raised in a loud house. They had to yell to get over their mother's voice. Some of them learned as they grew up and talk normal, but some are still loud. I've told them they should be a preacher or auctioneer.
Cat Herder 09:35 AM 01-27-2019
"My Mouth is a Volcano" book and lesson plans work great. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...o%20activities
Tags:2014, loud child
Reply Up