Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Visitors at the daycare
LovetheSun 11:06 PM 04-01-2015
Hello!

Do you believe we should (as daycare providers) inform the parents about visitors coming during daycare hours?

I had couple visits from kindergarten directors recently and did not inform the parents before hands. I did mention it at the end of the day but I feel like some parents did not appreciate the late notice.

The directors came after hearing about us and wanted to visit us before recommend us to parents attending their school (for younger sibling).

I am wondering if I did mess up... arr. I do not like that feeling!

What do you think? would you be upset as a parent?
spedmommy4 02:19 AM 04-02-2015
As a parent of four, I would not have been upset by the visit. It sounds like they were coming in to look at the quality of your program. That's fantastic. I wouldn't have been concerned by that at all.

As a provider, I tell my parents upon enrollment that there will periodically be visitors here from the food program or first 5 California. Those visitors are here to ensure I maintain a high quality program for the kids; none of the parents have said anything.

I think it's also important to let parents know that, in addition to being a business, your child care is also your home. You, your spouse, or your kids may occasionally have visitors and you aren't required to notify them every time. I have two teenagers, I would be notifying parents daily.
Gemma 04:12 AM 04-02-2015
I do inform the parents if I'm aware of an upcoming visitor, but I had friends dropping by unexpectedly and mentioned this afterwards and none of the parents ever had a problem with that!....I think you're fine!
284878 05:37 AM 04-02-2015
I would think that they should expect you will get visits from places that are business related. (I also feel that repair and service people, also fall here as well) for instance our propane gets delivered whenever, mail deliveries, and so forth.
Now if you are meeting with a person from CL or FB with a sale, or other personal reason, that would be different.

I do let my mother stop over, she is my emergency person, so I see no reason that the kids can't be familiar with her.
originalkat 05:49 AM 04-02-2015
I kind of think people make this a bigger deal than necessary. I would not have let parents know, and I would not have thought twice about it.
Meeko 06:46 AM 04-02-2015
Any parent who enrolls their child in a HOME daycare, has no right to be upset if the HOME functions as such. Home means family, visitors and friends coming and going.
Thriftylady 07:01 AM 04-02-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Any parent who enrolls their child in a HOME daycare, has no right to be upset if the HOME functions as such. Home means family, visitors and friends coming and going.
I agree with this although I do try to limit it. As far as school people coming, I wouldn't have thought even once about it, because that is not so much different than licensing or food program people coming over in my book.
Meeko 07:05 AM 04-02-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I agree with this although I do try to limit it. As far as school people coming, I wouldn't have thought even once about it, because that is not so much different than licensing or food program people coming over in my book.

sharlan 08:02 AM 04-02-2015
Nope. My parents don't ask and I generally don't mention visitors.
Unregistered 08:31 AM 04-02-2015
Hmm I don't know if would tell the parents or not. I have had a friend bring over her two year old as a drop in and had daycare parents question who that lady was that was here yesterday.
Unregistered 09:03 AM 04-02-2015
I don't tell them unless they ask, in which case, I let hem know who it is and what they are there for. If the parents take issue with it, then they can feel free to find other care, because the occassional visitor is going to be in my home once in a while. That being said, I try to avoid scheduling repairmen or service people like that till after hours or take a day off. I am kind of paranoid about a stranger knowing I am home alone with children
permanentvacation 09:20 AM 04-02-2015
Many people visit daycare centers and schools. The parents are never informed. I don't see why, just because our home daycares are smaller than centers and schools, we would operate them any different. So, no. I do not tell my parents about visitors. I also do not always tell the parents when I won't be here and my substitute will be, just like parents aren't told when their child will have a substitute teacher in a preschool/large daycare center or a school.
LovetheSun 09:32 PM 04-05-2015
Thank you all so much for your responses. It made me feel much better.

One family gave me such a questionable look! And even ask if the kids have been evaluate...
Reply Up