Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Sunscreen
finsup 10:22 AM 04-30-2015
OK, so DCF has been reminded about sunscreen twice. They need to supply it and it stays here. They ate really annoyed with anything "staying here" so it hasn't been provided yet. I should have given them an exact date. Looking at the forecast we will def need it on Monday. Now, maybe they'll supply it (I am reminding them at pick up) but my guess will be he won't have it Monday morning. I could, decline him at the door, or call mom for pick up before we go outside. I know she will say "well can't you just use yours today?" Which my answer to that is no, that is for MY kids and that stuff's expensive! But maybe I should have a more professional response ready? I don't know I'd like to think he will just have it on Monday but...I know this family better then that How would you handle that? I want to be prepared so they don't catch me off guard lol.
childcaremom 10:32 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
OK, so DCF has been reminded about sunscreen twice. They need to supply it and it stays here. They ate really annoyed with anything "staying here" so it hasn't been provided yet. I should have given them an exact date. Looking at the forecast we will def need it on Monday. Now, maybe they'll supply it (I am reminding them at pick up) but my guess will be he won't have it Monday morning. I could, decline him at the door, or call mom for pick up before we go outside. I know she will say "well can't you just use yours today?" Which my answer to that is no, that is for MY kids and that stuff's expensive! But maybe I should have a more professional response ready? I don't know I'd like to think he will just have it on Monday but...I know this family better then that How would you handle that? I want to be prepared so they don't catch me off guard lol.
My policy is to have the stuff we need for outside or they get a call for pick up at outdoor time and have 30 mins to get here. I don't keep the group in for any reason. This is gone over extensively at interviews. I had a family that I had to do this with repeatedly. They never left my care because of it.

If you don't want to do that, check the bag at drop off and send them out the door if they are not prepared, with their child in tow. Did that once with the same family, lol.
finsup 10:51 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
My policy is to have the stuff we need for outside or they get a call for pick up at outdoor time and have 30 mins to get here. I don't keep the group in for any reason. This is gone over extensively at interviews. I had a family that I had to do this with repeatedly. They never left my care because of it.

If you don't want to do that, check the bag at drop off and send them out the door if they are not prepared, with their child in tow. Did that once with the same family, lol.
Lol I think I may have to do something like that with this family for them to "get it." If the parent shows up with whatever item they need after you call for pick up, do you allow them to stay?
childcaremom 10:53 AM 04-30-2015
Lol I think I may have to do something like that with this family for them to "get it." If the parent shows up with whatever item they need after you call for pick up, do you allow them to stay?
Yes They can leave it hanging on the door knob and text me to let me know it's here. No coming in and disrupting the group!
finsup 10:56 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Yes They can leave it hanging on the door knob and text me to let me know it's here. No coming in and disrupting the group!
Lol perfect! I know she would want to come up, get DCB all upset and create a scene about how "difficult" it was to get her this would avoid that!
Unregistered 11:08 AM 04-30-2015
is it in your Reg's? If not then why are you caring so much? If he gets a sunburn then his parents will be responsible.
Blackcat31 11:12 AM 04-30-2015
Send them an e-mail over the weekend

Dear Families

This is a written reminder that ALL parents must remember to send sunscreen for your child. This sunscreen is REQUIRED to be left at daycare.

I ask that you please be considerate and not put me in the awkward position of having to refuse to accept your child into care if you do not remember to bring it.

This is an important part of our day as we spend a good amount of time outdoors and I sincerely do not want to see anyone with sunburn. The safety and well being of the children in my care is a priority and it's vital that parents support me in this effort.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely

Provider

Blackcat31 11:14 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
is it in your Reg's? If not then why are you caring so much? If he gets a sunburn then his parents will be responsible.
This is not necessarily true.

If you accept a child into care without the required items, YOU (the provider) bear a portion of the responsibility too.

It's a partnership.
BabyMonkeys 11:27 AM 04-30-2015
Seriously? You don't care if a child is hurt (sunburns hurt!) because his parents didn't provide something? Wow.. You can not be responsible for a parents actions, you are however responsible for your own.

I would tell the parents that if they don't provide sunscreen for their child by Monday you would be providing it at a cost of $x. I would just add it to their next payment and then handle it how you would if they didn't pay their bill.

You can not be responsible for a parents actions, you are however responsible for your own.
finsup 11:29 AM 04-30-2015
I agree, they will be but they won't see it like that. They will blame me and create drama for weeks on end about it. Plus, I'd hate to see the little guy get burned as a result of this
finsup 11:34 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
Seriously? You don't care if a child is hurt (sunburns hurt!) because his parents didn't provide something? Wow.. You can not be responsible for a parents actions, you are however responsible for your own.

I would tell the parents that if they don't provide sunscreen for their child by Monday you would be providing it at a cost of $x. I would just add it to their next payment and then handle it how you would if they didn't pay their bill.

You can not be responsible for a parents actions, you are however responsible for your own.
That's a good idea too! Its easy enough to add on a few to their weekly payment because they KNOW if they don't have the whole payment they will be denied care. But yeah I couldn't just be like "OK kid, guess you're getting yiur first burn today just to prove a point to your parents!" I'd much rather send home and at least keep DCB comfortable!
finsup 11:35 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Send them an e-mail over the weekend

Dear Families

This is a written reminder that ALL parents must remember to send sunscreen for your child. This sunscreen is REQUIRED to be left at daycare.

I ask that you please be considerate and not put me in the awkward position of having to refuse to accept your child into care if you do not remember to bring it.

This is an important part of our day as we spend a good amount of time outdoors and I sincerely do not want to see anyone with sunburn. The safety and well being of the children in my care is a priority and it's vital that parents support me in this effort.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely

Provider
Perfect, thanks! That will be going out in a Facebook message tomorrow
Unregistered 11:54 AM 04-30-2015
Why in the world are these parents making such a huge fuss over five or six dollar bottle of sunscreen ??
LindseyA 12:10 PM 04-30-2015
Why in the world are these parents making such a huge fuss over five or six dollar bottle of sunscreen ??
My thoughts exactly! Their child's safety is well worth a $6 bottle.... Rather pay $100 worth or more of sunscreen, than that child's medical bills if they get skin cancer. People cease to amaze me
nannyde 01:03 PM 04-30-2015
Absolutely incorrect. A provider ALWAYS has to do the right thing even if it means staying inside.

Parents can't give you permission to do the wrong thing. When the provider accepts the child without sunscreen she needs to either supply it or keep the kid out of the sun.

Best way to avoid the problem is to refuse the kid at the door and have the parents either take the kid home or take the kid to go fetch sunscreen. Just no admission without it.
finsup 01:43 PM 04-30-2015
Oh they're a "special" family who thinks that everything should be provided (for no extra charge) and our day should be 100% tailored to them. This is like battle number 100 with them. You should have heard the fuss they made about his cup lol. But yeah, they turn everything into a big deal when really its just like send the stuff for your kid and get over it.
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 04-30-2015
Oh they're a "special" family who thinks that everything should be provided (for no extra charge) and our day should be 100% tailored to them. This is like battle number 100 with them. You should have heard the fuss they made about his cup lol. But yeah, they turn everything into a big deal when really its just like send the stuff for your kid and get over it.
Then give them what they want.

Tell them you are raising your rates to cover ALL expenses since parents seem to push back a lot when asked to bring supplies.

Then give them their new rate and make sure it's atleast $5 PER day more than what they are paying now.

Tell them it is that high to cover your time and energy to travel, shop and purchase these items for each child.

If they would rather not pay the new rates, tell them to just bring the damn sun screen then.

It's never ever really about the money or even about being "special" most times. People just want the control.
Unregistered 03:27 PM 04-30-2015
I'm from Hawaii and you'll be surprised how many parents do not provide sunscreen. Usually the ones that do provide are lighter skin which will really burn. I do have in my handbook that if parents want me to apply sunscreen they need to sign a permission form and provide their own sunscreen. Licensing does not require sunscreen. Thankfully I have areas in my yard that provide shade and we stay out only for an hour in the early morning and late afternoon when the sun is not as hot. Most schools/preschools here have either covered playgrounds or lots of trees to provide shade.
Thriftylady 04:41 PM 04-30-2015
Both of my families are. I have already decided I am putting my foot down tomorrow. We don't need it yet, but we will be needing it soon.
finsup 06:10 PM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Then give them what they want.

Tell them you are raising your rates to cover ALL expenses since parents seem to push back a lot when asked to bring supplies.

Then give them their new rate and make sure it's atleast $5 PER day more than what they are paying now.

Tell them it is that high to cover your time and energy to travel, shop and purchase these items for each child.

If they would rather not pay the new rates, tell them to just bring the damn sun screen then.

It's never ever really about the money or even about being "special" most times. People just want the control.
Oh yeah, the control thing is huge. DCM especially, she hates anyone telling her to do anything even if its a minor thing like this. I would love to see their faces if I told them I was I increasing rates to cover it lol. Which actually may happen depending on how much more I have to hear about it.
Rachel 10:11 PM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Both of my families are. I have already decided I am putting my foot down tomorrow. We don't need it yet, but we will be needing it soon.
No one here sends sunscreen! And it's HOT. We have to be in (regs) by 10:30am this time of the year. My son goes to a different provider, and I always sunscreen him before he goes. Since they go out early in the morning, it works for us.

In the OP's position, if I was private and back in the US, I would probably buy several bottles of the not expensive kind I liked, the first day the parent forgot I would write the kid's name on it with a sharpie and charge 2 or 3x the price I paid and have the end of the battle right there.
Tags:sunscreen
Reply Up