Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sunscreen Question
Onawhim 04:18 AM 05-07-2015
I get each parent to provide sunscreen for their children no complaints or issues they brought it in. I put it on before we go outside at 10:30 and again at 3. I had 4 parents complain their their children's hair is greasy with sun screen like its my fault. 2 of the children have hair past their shoulders and its always down and the other is always in a braid or pony down her back. Is this really my fault? Should I be being extra extra careful putting sunscreen on? I mean it's not like I'm slopping it on but their hair hands down their back and in their face. I sunscreen their faces and necks and back of necks. Ugh the drama never stops.
Indoorvoice 04:32 AM 05-07-2015
Um no. That is NOT your problem. I try to be mindful of their hair, but you can't completely keep it out. I would just say "yup, that happens with sunscreen" and give a great big blank stare. How stupid! Do they want greasy hair or burnt skin?
Blackcat31 05:11 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by Onawhim:
I get each parent to provide sunscreen for their children no complaints or issues they brought it in. I put it on before we go outside at 10:30 and again at 3. I had 4 parents complain their their children's hair is greasy with sun screen like its my fault. 2 of the children have hair past their shoulders and its always down and the other is always in a braid or pony down her back. Is this really my fault? Should I be being extra extra careful putting sunscreen on? I mean it's not like I'm slopping it on but their hair hands down their back and in their face. I sunscreen their faces and necks and back of necks. Ugh the drama never stops.
Good grief! If they don't like sun screen in their child's hair, I would suggest to them that they put the child's hair up and out of the way. Otherwise your goal is safety and applying sun screen (liberally) to their child should be the important focus not fashion or greasy hair.

Greasy hair is easily remedied by a nightly bath. Sun burn is NOT so easy to deal with and doesn't wash off.

I don't think I would have been able to hide my eye rolling when questioned about this one...
Onawhim 05:30 AM 05-07-2015
My mind was actually blown. I blank stared, picked up the baby and walked away lol
DaveA 05:43 AM 05-07-2015
I'm not sure I could have contained my sarcasm. I would tell DCM I am more concerned with preventing a painful sunburn than the condition of her hair.
Shell 05:51 AM 05-07-2015
Geez! We can't win, can we?! Somebody has a problem with everything.

I have a child here, dcd is a dermatologist. Dcm stressed to me the importance of daily sunscreen. Guess who never has their sunscreen and has to use my reserve regularly?!
Blackcat31 05:56 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Geez! We can't win, can we?! Somebody has a problem with everything.

I have a child here, dcd is a dermatologist. Dcm stressed to me the importance of daily sunscreen. Guess who never has their sunscreen and has to use my reserve regularly?!
I'd start charging several quarters for that quarter sized dollop you are supplying. daily..
Onawhim 05:57 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I'm not sure I could have contained my sarcasm. I would tell DCM I am more concerned with preventing a painful sunburn than the condition of her hair.
It was 3 dcms and 1 dcd. But one mom started to complain while everyone was here at drop off and they all piped in
Pepperth 06:01 AM 05-07-2015
It seems like if the kid has sunscreen on, they'd need a bath anyway. What's the difference if they wash their hair too? The other day, I applied sunscreen to a toddler's head because, although 2, he doesn't have an abundance of hair and its really fine. (I had them bring a hat the next day.) His mom was happy about it, even though every speck of dirt in my yard also stuck to the sunscreen.
Onawhim 06:34 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
It seems like if the kid has sunscreen on, they'd need a bath anyway. What's the difference if they wash their hair too? The other day, I applied sunscreen to a toddler's head because, although 2, he doesn't have an abundance of hair and its really fine. (I had them bring a hat the next day.) His mom was happy about it, even though every speck of dirt in my yard also stuck to the sunscreen.
They say it's not washing out... It's whatever stuff they provided me with? How can I control that.
CraftyMom 06:35 AM 05-07-2015
Sometimes I think parents are LOOKING for something to complain about!

You could tell them "No problem, please be here before we go outside at 10:30 and again at 3:00 so YOU can apply the sunblock and avoid her hair"
Thriftylady 06:57 AM 05-07-2015
Man we just can't win. I would suggest that they do the hair differently, or as PP said, come and apply it themselves.
LindseyA 07:55 AM 05-07-2015
Smh! I get the spray kind for my daughter *5* who is very fair skinned (we have a lot of Irish blood lol!) just for her scalp! She loves wearing pig tails just about everyday. She got a burn last summer just on her part line, so now I spray the part all the way down. I do not care about her hair being greasy, she will be pain free!
hope 08:11 AM 05-07-2015
You can suggest a sun hat of the children will keep it on. I have a dcm that makes a huge deal out of the sun. I really think she would rather me not take them out at all. Every day she reminds me to use sunscreen and she has two different kinds that need to be applied. She says her girls don't also keep the hats on they cant be outside. I wont agree to that. I have had luck with other children and hats before. But I do spray almost every child's scalp here because children's hair is so fine. Give your kid a bath at night!
finsup 10:36 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Sometimes I think parents are LOOKING for something to complain about!

You could tell them "No problem, please be here before we go outside at 10:30 and again at 3:00 so YOU can apply the sunblock and avoid her hair"
Lol given my own sunscreen drama, I would be so tempted to say that. Smh so much drama over such a small subject!
Onawhim 10:50 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
You can suggest a sun hat of the children will keep it on. I have a dcm that makes a huge deal out of the sun. I really think she would rather me not take them out at all. Every day she reminds me to use sunscreen and she has two different kinds that need to be applied. She says her girls don't also keep the hats on they cant be outside. I wont agree to that. I have had luck with other children and hats before. But I do spray almost every child's scalp here because children's hair is so fine. Give your kid a bath at night!
All my littles wear sun hats. It was my very high maintenance dcm that started it and the other 3 piped in 😡 she complains about something daily.
Reply Up