Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thanksgiving Holiday Pay Question
Indoorvoice 01:54 PM 11-11-2015
In my contract I take holidays paid and personal days unpaid. For Thanksgiving I contracted Thursday as a paid holiday and Friday as an unpaid personal day and am open mon-wed. Well, it turns out that everyone has Wednesday off and everyone but one has told me that they are keeping their kids home Wednesday. The one who hasn't told me is a teacher and I'm anticipating that she will want to use me that day. I would love to tell her no and have a paid day off, but since I didn't schedule it, I can't really tell her no, can I? And if I tell her I'm closed, I would have to tell everyone and take it as an unpaid personal day? Help me do this fairly?
DaveA 02:25 PM 11-11-2015
I would say your options are pretty much either caring for the child that day or telling DCP you are closing for the day due to low enrollment and taking an unpaid day. As for the other families, they've already given notice they aren't coming so I wouldn't offer an unpaid day for it.
snbauser 02:44 PM 11-11-2015
If you want the day off, I would approach that mom and let her know that her child will be the only one there and if she is willing to keep her you will credit her the day. Then you are only our the pay for that one child.
Thriftylady 02:50 PM 11-11-2015
I agree with the others. Offer that one parent the day with a credit. But she may have to work. I know our schools are open that day. If she does work could you make it an easy day with popcorn and a movie or something?
Unregistered 02:54 PM 11-11-2015
I would stay open, but inform the one parent that it will only be her child coming. A few times dcps would tell me they are going to keep their child home since they are going to be off, but end up dropping off their child because they forgot they have things to do and don't want their child with them while they do their thing which is fine with me. It's easier to have more kids so they can entertain each other.
Indoorvoice 06:55 AM 11-12-2015
Thanks everyone! She hasn't even asked me to watch her child yet that day, so it may all work out fine, but I like to know how I'm going to handle it just in case. I appreciate the responses.
Play Care 07:01 AM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Thanks everyone! She hasn't even asked me to watch her child yet that day, so it may all work out fine, but I like to know how I'm going to handle it just in case. I appreciate the responses.
She probably hasn't asked because she may just assume you are open and is planning on dropping off.

In your case I would approach mom and let her know that since you will not have other kids that day you will be closing and credit her that day.

I wouldn't leave it up to her to decide because if she decides to send her then you are entertaining one child all day and feeling resentful.

I have a three child min for minor holidays and days around holidays for this reason. I used to put up a sign up sheet so parents could see for themselves if they would have care or not.
bklsmum 07:35 AM 11-12-2015
She might need you that day. Here they do Parent/Teacher conferences the day before Thanksgiving.
Indoorvoice 11:03 AM 11-12-2015
Nope I know for sure she is off. I'll talk to her tonight and let her know that I will give her the day free if she stays home. I don't mind being open for just one child and this child is a breeze, I could just use that extra day off if it's possible! I can't really have a minimum since I can only have 6 total and 2 of those are my own! I always have a small group anyway.
rosieteddy 01:50 PM 11-12-2015
Could you send a notice effective immediately ---If the majority of clients have cancelled the day before or after the holiday the Daycare will not open. On a side note why don't you have paid holidays? You deserve it.
Indoorvoice 02:17 PM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Could you send a notice effective immediately ---If the majority of clients have cancelled the day before or after the holiday the Daycare will not open. On a side note why don't you have paid holidays? You deserve it.
I do ask for pay on actual holidays if they fall on a regular daycare day, but I don't ask for a day before or after paid. Apparently holiday pay for home providers is not common around here and it is a fight to ever get my parents to pay when I'm closed.
rosieteddy 07:23 AM 11-13-2015
Thats good because you work hard and deserve at least major holidays with pay.I had a friend who did the low enrollment policy...I worked up to paid vacations and personal days with holidays paid. In our area everyone gets some days paid so it did not go against me.. I think it would be hard to tell that last parent to stay home and credit her day.The other parents may find out and want the same,or bring their kids at the last minute.I would take an early day and start a new policy.
Reply Up