Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Backing Out of Taking a Spot
Lorna 09:44 AM 05-15-2016
So tired of this happening. Families saying they want a spot and then backing out at the last minute. I have not been asking for a deposit. Which is going to have to change. This last one I knew them. Never thought they would back out after they said they wanted the spot. Interviewed them a month ago. They had a few questions and then confirmed they would take the spot. Wanted to start with a few shorter visits this coming week and then fulltime the following week. So I emailed on Friday to ask what days they would like to send her for visits. No response. Sent another email on Saturday evening no response. So I sent a message to the dad on facebook this morning. Since it was a work email that I have. It was read this morning and still no response.

So I guess if they don't respond today they longer want the spot. This puts me in a tight spot since I was hiring my daughter to help out with the daycare starting next week and I have child leaving for the summer in a month.
finsup 11:06 AM 05-15-2016
Originally Posted by Lorna:
So tired of this happening. Families saying they want a spot and then backing out at the last minute. I have not been asking for a deposit. Which is going to have to change. This last one I knew them. Never thought they would back out after they said they wanted the spot. Interviewed them a month ago. They had a few questions and then confirmed they would take the spot. Wanted to start with a few shorter visits this coming week and then fulltime the following week. So I emailed on Friday to ask what days they would like to send her for visits. No response. Sent another email on Saturday evening no response. So I sent a message to the dad on facebook this morning. Since it was a work email that I have. It was read this morning and still no response.

So I guess if they don't respond today they longer want the spot. This puts me in a tight spot since I was hiring my daughter to help out with the daycare starting next week and I have child leaving for the summer in a month.
That stinks
I've had to learn two things the hard way. First, never hold a spot without a non refundable fee for holding it. Personally I will hold a spot for 2 weeks without payment (mostly to encourage families to give/pay a two week notice anywhere else) but after that, sorry, you will be paying a holding fee. I didn't used to charge one and ended up loosing a lot of money waiting for people who suddenly had different plans.

Second thing? Treat everyone, whether it's friends, family etc the same. It's nice to want to help out, give deals to people you know/are related to but it gets taken advantage of quickly. Treating even close friends etc as regular clients is the only way I will take them on.
I wish it didn't have to be this way, but it really does make for a lot less hassles.
LysesKids 12:13 PM 05-15-2016
Originally Posted by Lorna:

I would just assume that the spot is no longer wanted because they refuse to reply... Start interviewing if you want to keep your daughter as a helper.

I ALWAYS have parents pay me a non refundable, first week fee as a placement guarantee along with a signed contract or intent to sign form that specifies start date. They back out, too bad, so sad - NOT. I also refuse to hold spaces long than 2 weeks now unless it's for a child that is aging out, say 6 weeks down the line, but I still get the first weeks fee from interested family, otherwise I tell parents that I will keep interviewing until I have $$ and a signature on the contract; I will not hold for free
snbauser 01:36 PM 05-15-2016
Unfortunately this is one of the reasons many charge a non-refundable deposit. I always told parents that the spot is not theirs until the paperwork AND deposit are returned to me. Until then I continue to advertise and interview.
Lorna 08:06 PM 05-15-2016
Well looks like I got lucky for a change. They finally answered and will start Tuesday. They were out of town since Tuesday. I'll have to make sure they understand that I need to know in advance if there are days the child won't be here.
AmyKidsCo 08:16 PM 05-16-2016
BTDT... I charge a nonrefundable enrollment fee plus the first week's tuition, which is nonrefundable if the child doesn't come for care. That way I've at least got something...
thrivingchildcarecom 09:53 AM 05-17-2016
I can't even tell you how many times this has happened to me in the past. So I found a better way to think of it is until they submit at least an application and deposit, they do not have the spot. And I would suggest mentioning that at the tour. You might also mention that there are only X amount of spots available at this time and if not held by deposit they would have to go on your waiting list.

I no longer hold spots for anyone, not even current clients, unless and until a deposit and an application is submitted (the application indicates a start date and just seems to be a more formal procedure).
Tags:holding spot - fee, holding spot policy
Reply Up