Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Loses Job!
canadian_daycare 07:27 AM 01-07-2010
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this discussion forum. I am a daycare provider and have been for 2 1/2 years. I have one family out of all my families that just have a hard time following rules. They are very young (mid 20's) and it seems their social and work life is more important than they two boys. They constantly pick up late, or a mere MINUTES before my late fee kicks in. They are always asking me to babysit in the evening to which I say no can do. And when I take a personal day (which I do not get paid for) they always have something to say. For example, I closed the week of New Years. I am open every day of the year except for stats. My daycare runs 6am to 6pm. I take two weeks holidays in the summer UNPAID and then this year decided to take another week UNPAID to spend time with my own kids. And they emailed me saying "is this going to be an annual thing?".

Now to add to their issues, the week before Christmas mom lost her job. She was a manager at a retail store in the local mall. She had been there 6 years. I do not know the exact details as to why she lost her job, but something "happened". So of course, I felt bad being the holidays. I did tell her though that we will discuss in the new year how things are going. I know she goes to interviews... or so I assume she does. Since then, the boys come maybe 2-3 half days a week. And at that, getting paid is like pulling teeth. Before, I was paid every two weeks without having to ask them. Now, mere small amounts like $60-70 bucks I have to send a "gentle email" reminder.

So here we are in the new year and I need to get through to Mom and Dad that I will not continue holding two full time spaces and losing income. I am out of pocket almost $1000 a month. That hurts!!! How can I word a polite but direct email to them??? Any advice??? I have had the oldest (he is 3) since May 2007 and the youngest since day one pretty much as I was watching him at 5-6 months old until she went back to work full time.

Thanks....
momma2girls 12:49 PM 01-07-2010
Originally Posted by canadian_daycare:
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this discussion forum. I am a daycare provider and have been for 2 1/2 years. I have one family out of all my families that just have a hard time following rules. They are very young (mid 20's) and it seems their social and work life is more important than they two boys. They constantly pick up late, or a mere MINUTES before my late fee kicks in. They are always asking me to babysit in the evening to which I say no can do. And when I take a personal day (which I do not get paid for) they always have something to say. For example, I closed the week of New Years. I am open every day of the year except for stats. My daycare runs 6am to 6pm. I take two weeks holidays in the summer UNPAID and then this year decided to take another week UNPAID to spend time with my own kids. And they emailed me saying "is this going to be an annual thing?".

Now to add to their issues, the week before Christmas mom lost her job. She was a manager at a retail store in the local mall. She had been there 6 years. I do not know the exact details as to why she lost her job, but something "happened". So of course, I felt bad being the holidays. I did tell her though that we will discuss in the new year how things are going. I know she goes to interviews... or so I assume she does. Since then, the boys come maybe 2-3 half days a week. And at that, getting paid is like pulling teeth. Before, I was paid every two weeks without having to ask them. Now, mere small amounts like $60-70 bucks I have to send a "gentle email" reminder.

So here we are in the new year and I need to get through to Mom and Dad that I will not continue holding two full time spaces and losing income. I am out of pocket almost $1000 a month. That hurts!!! How can I word a polite but direct email to them??? Any advice??? I have had the oldest (he is 3) since May 2007 and the youngest since day one pretty much as I was watching him at 5-6 months old until she went back to work full time.

Thanks....
You just need to firm with them on everything, stick to your guns!! abide by your contract. I have really learnt the hard way, thru making exceptions to alot of different things, being nice, etc. then it bites me in the butt!!!!!!
mac60 01:14 PM 01-07-2010
If it were me, I would do one of 2 things. I would offer them a temporary part time slot at a set amount of $$$ per week so that you would have a guaranteed income. Period. Or, I would tell them you are not able to hold their spots and try to fill their spots.

I had to offer a client a 3 day rate vs the normal 5 day rate due to her days being cut at work. It lasted about 10 weeks then she went back to full time.

You also need to address the payment issue. Payment is due on Monday of week of care for week coming up (or however you do it). If not paid late fees.
originalkat 01:55 PM 01-07-2010
When one of my parents had a layoff, I worked with them for about 2 weeks on a part time basis while he was on call...about half what I normally would have made. With no end in sight for the time he would be out of work...I told them I had to start advertising for the spot. They understood and it all worked out. The new family I got only stayed for 1 month and then just didnt show up one day...real winners. Not long after, he got hired back on and I have had the child for nearly 2 years. But, you have to be upfront. Usually parents understand. I use notes/email for a lot of things. But something like this deserves a face-to-face in my opinion. This is your income!
wejo928 03:49 PM 01-08-2010
After 17 years I have just gotten tired of it and started chargeing #1 a day later fee as of Jan 1.

My question to you all is.

They did not pay the $5 last Monday so this Monday it will be $12 is due.
She did not pay that or the $5 on this Monday.

?????????????
Do you only charge $1 a day no matter what or do you charge $1 a day for first week and $1 a day for second week wich is $2 a day.

I am just tired of this Mom not paying the louzy $5 a week. It way not seem like much but it is my milk for her daughter a week,

She sends the cereal & formula for her 8 month old but not the fruit or veggies so he is always so crabby & hungry. He drinks 3 8 oz bottles a day. He has reflux so cereal is added. But he needs more than that.

She makes $1000 a month bring home plus $432 in food stamps. So I know she has the money to pay, And that is not includein her bf income.

Please elt me know how you handel it.
Tags:job, layoff, unemployed, unemployment
Reply Up