Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Rash
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 07-27-2011
Curious...what do you all swear by for diaper rash...you know the kind that leave their poor little bums red and weepy like....

I've probably used them all over the last decade or so and seems every bum is different but I was curious as to what your go-to trick is to helping ease their tushy troubles.
Meeko 11:57 AM 07-27-2011
I've tried them all I think.

But I powder each and every little bum at every change. I think it keeps them dryer and smelling sweeter!
AnneCordelia 11:57 AM 07-27-2011
I use a triple paste...antifungal, cortisone & zinc oxide cream all in one. I get my pharmacist to mix it for me for ease although all the ingredients are over-the-counter. The antifungal helps if it's yeast related, the steroids calm redness and the zinc as a water barrier. I use it on my own children and recommend it for my DCKs but I ultimately use what their parents send.
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I use a triple paste...antifungal, cortisone & zinc oxide cream all in one. I get my pharmacist to mix it for me for ease although all the ingredients are over-the-counter. The antifungal helps if it's yeast related, the steroids calm redness and the zinc as a water barrier. I use it on my own children and recommend it for my DCKs but I ultimately use what their parents send.
Nice idea. I wonder if I can get my pharmacist to do the same? I like the "cover all your bases" thinking.
Zoe 12:17 PM 07-27-2011
I use Butt Paste. Works for me every time!
AnneCordelia 12:30 PM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nice idea. I wonder if I can get my pharmacist to do the same? I like the "cover all your bases" thinking.
Call your pharmacy and ask if they are a "compounding pharmacy". Most towns have at least one...usually by a walk-in clinic or a hospital because ointments have to be mixed to differing strengths. If they are, they will offer this service.
weeones 12:45 PM 07-27-2011
I have a 4 month old who has extremely sensitive skin, so he's very prone to serious diaper rash. His parents tried numerous ointments & creams and finally found California Baby that works wonders! It's natural/herbal based. It's a light cream rather than greasy, and is a little pricey but a little goes a long way so a little tub lasts a while. Can be found here @ Target & Toys R Us.
SilverSabre25 12:59 PM 07-27-2011
I always used Palmer's Bottom Butter for DD and it did very nicely. It's cocoa-butter-based, and smells pretty darn nice. Cloth diaper friendly, too.

For stubborn rashes that needed more, I used Desitin, especially at naptime/overnight.
squareone 01:05 PM 07-27-2011
100% pure cornstarch. I put it in a salt shaker and sprinkle it on like baby powder.
grandmom 01:51 PM 07-27-2011
Bag balm works great.
SimpleMom 03:27 PM 07-27-2011
rinse off with warm water (if you can), then use the air dry or cloth diaper method for a bit, and then I use vaseline or Burt's Bees. With daycare kiddos, I wouldn't air dry (lol). Can you imagine the mess! Whoa!
55CMK83 05:42 PM 07-27-2011
I wipe the butt clean, air dry the butt and put butt paste on by Boudreaux. Did this with my own children and swear by it 100%. I have had 2 parents start using butt paste at home cause they love results. It can be found at WalMart
MG&Lsmom 05:48 PM 07-27-2011
Only wipe if there's a bm. Maybe if it's been a long nap and the diaper is super wet. Give lots of air time. Frequent changes. Cloth diapers. I only use medication if it looks yeasty or infected. I use either Earth Mama Angel Baby diaper cream or GroVia diaper stick.
youretooloud 06:15 PM 07-27-2011
Cloth diapers.

But, I also make the triple paste.

Just Zinc oxide alone is wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldesene-Zinc.../dp/B0000Y3CWY Or this powder. You can buy it in Walgreens or CVS, a lot cheaper than amazon. Or you can buy Zinc Powder and mix it with Talc on your own.
permanentvacation 06:28 PM 07-27-2011
Lotromin AF - it's in the foot fungus aisle - I get mine at Walmart. It's somewhat expensive for the size of the tube, but it works in just a couple of applications!!! My daughter's pediatrician told me to use that 17 years ago and I've gotten every one of my parents to use it since!
AfterSchoolMom 06:44 PM 07-27-2011
Ditto Bag Balm. My kids were both prone to rashes - bad ones that bled and everything. With the bag balm it'd be totally cleared up within a day or so.
GretasLittleFriends 08:36 PM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I use Butt Paste. Works for me every time!
Originally Posted by 55CMK83:
I wipe the butt clean, air dry the butt and put butt paste on by Boudreaux. Did this with my own children and swear by it 100%. I have had 2 parents start using butt paste at home cause they love results. It can be found at WalMart
This is the ONLY product that will work for my dd. She is 1, and for a time as an infant, she was EXTREMELY sensitive with wipes, diapers, everything. Not to mention we were in the process of finding out she was lactose intolerant.

And it has a cinnamon-y smell, which smells a LOT better than A&D or Desitin or any diaper creams I've smelled.
PitterPatter 08:50 PM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Curious...what do you all swear by for diaper rash...you know the kind that leave their poor little bums red and weepy like....

I've probably used them all over the last decade or so and seems every bum is different but I was curious as to what your go-to trick is to helping ease their tushy troubles.
I have a 2 yr old that arrives every Monday with a new diaper rash. 1st I tried the rash cream DCM finally gave me after my many complaints. It does ok but when she forgot it at home a few times I used cornstarch. I noticed it clears up quicker with plain cornstarch! Now he arrives on Monday and is a mess and by Wednesday I have it healing up and going away with my cornstarch. Friday almost gone! Then Monday he comes back with it again. I assume yep ASSume walking out on the limb here lol. I assume he isnt changed much while in their care! It;s the only thing I can come up with because as long as I have him all week it's clearing up and almost gone!
PitterPatter 08:53 PM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
100% pure cornstarch. I put it in a salt shaker and sprinkle it on like baby powder.
I do the exact same thing! Only I used a plastic spice jar it holds a good bit. Perfect sprinkler!
MyAngels 08:58 PM 07-27-2011
I have been using this lately: http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Paste-D.../dp/B0041ID3V0

It's a little pricey, but lasts a long time.

I also like the Butt Paste as mentioned by PPs.
laundrymom 04:02 AM 07-28-2011
Jacks magic beanstalk
Rash magic

:-)
Unregistered 08:43 AM 07-28-2011
I mix triple antibiotic, diaper rash cream (generic is fine) and A & D. Completely clears EVERYTHING within 24 hours. I have all three pastes inside my diaper changer at all times!

My doctor told me never to come in for a rash unless I tried this mixture for 48 hours AND then tried yeast infection cream (on its own- NOT WITH THESE OTHER THREE) for 24 hours. I was told if I went in that is what they would tell me to do anyway. Only had to break out the yeast cream 1 time for 1 really bad dck and it worked! Of course I ok'd it with mom first- she was delighted it worked!
Tags:diaper rash
Reply Up