Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation/ Closing Question
daycare 03:48 PM 04-03-2013
I want to go home to see my family this summer. Home for me is very far away and going for only the weekend would be a waste of time. Were talking over 5000 miles to home.

I have never closed the dc for more than a day or two ever. This time I am looking to close from a Wed to a MOnday. My assistant would possibly be able to keep the dc open, but its not for certain right now. we have talked about it, but he will not be able to work all summer and at this time does not know if he can or not. Plus, he alone could not keep it open due to being over capacity. BUT I do have a summer asst that could help him if needed. The summer person will not be qualified to stay and keep the DC open by themselves.

Well my question is do I just tell the parents that I am closing for these days with the possibility of being able to stay open? OR do I tell them I am closing and then when I find out for certain that I can keep open I let them know at that time. I am worried that some of the parents will complain that I am going to be gone for so long. It's very unlike me.

I want to tell them now, the trip will be early august...also I do have in my contract that I can take up to 14 days of vacation which 5 would be paid. to date I have not taken any.....

what would you tell them now??
daycare 04:26 PM 04-03-2013
just bumping up
kathiemarie 04:48 PM 04-03-2013
So just to make sure I got this right. You are going to be closed for a total of 4 days. Right?

You have in your contract that you can take 5 days off a year paid. I would not try to keep the daycare open. I would send out a letter saying that I will be closed zz to yy days. As per my contract these will be paid days off.

I had to take 2 weeks off this year. One to go to London for Christmas and one in May for my daughter graduation in New York. Because of Christmas vacation and my pd. days off they paid for that week and my New York trip will be a no charge. I told them in Aug. (teacher kids). I have one family starting to panic about what to do in May... umm not my problem. Maybe Daddy should have not taken days off to go camper shopping, laying flooring at his father in laws etc, etc.

Sooo Long story short. Send out a note out saying you will be closed. And have fun with your family!
daycarediva 04:52 PM 04-03-2013
Close! You are giving them MORE than adequate time to find alternate arrangements.

Enjoy the time with your family!
NeedaVaca 05:09 PM 04-03-2013
No point having vacation days written in your policies if you are afraid to use them! You will be giving PLENTY of notice, enjoy your much deserved vacation
itlw8 05:09 PM 04-03-2013
close with pay in fact why rush take the full week
daycare 05:14 PM 04-03-2013
you all are making me feel much better.

I guess after all these years I still stress over silly things. I also know that some of my parents are very high maintenance and have certain expectations of me.

I will just tell them that I am closed. Thanks so much!!!!!
mema 05:32 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:

I guess after all these years I still stress over silly things. I also know that some of my parents are very high maintenance and have certain expectations of me.

Good choice! Go and have fun! Don't worry about them.....they are adults and should be able to handle it, if not, then it's on them!
momofsix 06:56 PM 04-03-2013
Good for you for decidiing to close
If I were you I'd consider adding one more day, especially if you're going to be getting home on Monday. Give yourself time to get unpacked, caught up on laundry, get some good rest...all before you start with kids again.
AmyKidsCo 07:46 PM 04-03-2013
Good for you - you deserve time off just as much as they do. You're actually doing them a favor - if you don't take time off you might burn out and they'd have to find new child care.
snbauser 07:59 PM 04-03-2013
I would have closed as well. And I agree with taking one more day. When you get back you will need to unpack, laundry and probably grocery shop.
TheGoodLife 09:50 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
No point having vacation days written in your policies if you are afraid to use them! You will be giving PLENTY of notice, enjoy your much deserved vacation

TheGoodLife 09:51 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:

Enjoy!
Meeko 06:46 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
So just to make sure I got this right. You are going to be closed for a total of 4 days. Right?

You have in your contract that you can take 5 days off a year paid. I would not try to keep the daycare open. I would send out a letter saying that I will be closed zz to yy days. As per my contract these will be paid days off.

I had to take 2 weeks off this year. One to go to London for Christmas and one in May for my daughter graduation in New York. Because of Christmas vacation and my pd. days off they paid for that week and my New York trip will be a no charge. I told them in Aug. (teacher kids). I have one family starting to panic about what to do in May... umm not my problem. Maybe Daddy should have not taken days off to go camper shopping, laying flooring at his father in laws etc, etc.

Sooo Long story short. Send out a note out saying you will be closed. And have fun with your family!
I wanna be in your suitcase when you go to London........just a few miles from home.........
Reply Up