Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Which Do Parents Prefer: Re-Tuition
jenboo 11:59 AM 08-02-2019
Which tuition method makes parents think they are getting a better "deal".

1. $265 a week for 52 weeks (provider closed for 2 weeks vacation, tuition still due)

2. $275 a week for 50 weeks (parents do not pay for providers two weeks vacation)

Option 1 total: 13,700
Option 2 total: 13,750
Snowmom 12:27 PM 08-02-2019
In my experience, they go for the lower weekly fee.

However, if you write in paid vacation in your contract (or any paid time) you need to protect it otherwise you will get notices timed in order to avoid paying you.

For instance: I get paid for Christmas Break (12/24-1/1). In my contract, I wrote in, any notice to terminate the contract after October 1st of the contract year must pre-pay the paid Christmas Break before their initial enrollment fee is applied for the final two week notice. If payment is not received with notice, your enrollment fee is forfeited and your contract is terminated immediately.

I get paid holidays: I write in my contract, if your notice to terminate the contract ENDS within 2 weeks of a paid holiday, payment for that holiday is still expected and due upon notice.
Cat Herder 01:37 PM 08-02-2019
IME, they go for the 2nd option.

When I "charged" for my vacations I got lots of whining and pushback. Some even left and stayed with the backup provider who invariably undercut me, temporarily.

Since I raised my rates and stopped "charging" it has been bliss. Complete non-issue.
Blackcat31 05:10 PM 08-02-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
IME, they go for the 2nd option.

When I "charged" for my vacations I got lots of whining and pushback. Some even left and stayed with the backup provider who invariably undercut me, temporarily.

Since I raised my rates and stopped "charging" it has been bliss. Complete non-issue.
^^^^. What she said...
Mike 06:05 AM 08-04-2019
It's going to depend on the clientele. I find as a general rule in most any business, that lower prices will draw more people, but higher prices will filter out picky ones. In this case, the lower prices is a double whammy. You'll get more picky ones, and therefore more chances of paid holiday issues. You would of course cover that in the contract, but unless you need that little extra market, I say option 2.

Plus, with option 2, you could advertise that you don't charge for vacation time. Some would like to know that.
Tags:paid vacations
Reply Up