Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mother Telling Child Certain Foods Cause Cancer...
Laura5287 12:25 PM 03-19-2015
What would you say if a child in your care told you his mom told him that microwave popcorn and tomatoes make you have cancer if you eat them and showed him pictures of it?
I didn't know what to say.
LysesKids 01:05 PM 03-19-2015
How old is the child? Depending on the age, I might have issues with at least the picture part

BTW, I don't eat Microwave popcorn for the same reason... the FDA put a study out that states not just one but 2 issues with the chemicals used... the tomatoes, again if they are canned they don't come into my house (BPA lined cans can leach because of the acidity). My youngest dd pointed out the studies to me when she was 16 (she's 22 now).
daycare 01:06 PM 03-19-2015
nothing.....we can't tell parents what to teach or not teach their children.

NONE of my old children will eat fast food because when they were little my Uncle was very over weight, bad diet died of a heart attack. My kids asked me did he eat too much fast food and I said yes and told them what happens to your body and bad food. they were 4 and 6 at the time, now 17 and 19, they have never touched it..

I would just say thanks for sharing, drop it and move on.

I have kids from all walks of life with very interesting traditions, beliefs and etc. Some very superstitious. They tell me things like if you cut noodled you will die. In their county noodles are a sign on longevity. I just say oh, thanks for sharing.

If you bring to much attention to it, the kids will continue to talk about it.
Blackcat31 01:11 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Laura5287:
What would you say if a child in your care told you his mom told him that microwave popcorn and tomatoes make you have cancer if you eat them and showed him pictures of it?
I didn't know what to say.
I wouldn't say anything. I don't serve popcorn to the kids in care and I grow tomatoes organically so that's not an issue for me either.

I'd just smile at the child and say "So, what book should we read for story time" and change the subject.

I've heard kids tell me all sorts of funny stuff their parents have told them.
Unregistered 01:21 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wouldn't say anything. I don't serve popcorn to the kids in care and I grow tomatoes organically so that's not an issue for me either.

I'd just smile at the child and say "So, what book should we read for story time" and change the subject.

I've heard kids tell me all sorts of funny stuff their parents have told them.
me too, including what "size" their daddy is.
daycare 01:24 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
lmao I just fell out of my chair.

I had a dcb tell me several months ago that him and his dad's privates are the same size so they share the toilet when they pee.......

thanks for the reminder oooohhhh I wish I didn't have to think about that again...
e.j. 01:32 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I had a dcb tell me several months ago that him and his dad's privates are the same size so they share the toilet when they pee......
Either the kid is very well endowed or......!
I'm so sorry! I probably shouldn't have gone there but it's been one of "those" days and that just made me laugh so hard! If only parents knew what their kids tell us!
daycare 01:58 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I'm so sorry! I probably shouldn't have gone there but it's been one of "those" days and that just made me laugh so hard! If only parents knew what their kids tell us!
lmao yeah i am having that day too.... I can't tell you how long this day is and the worst part is that I have 2 interviews tonight after daycare hours......the laugh was much needed
Laura5287 01:58 PM 03-19-2015
I was more concerned over the pictures being shown. He is paranoid about things as it is so I was surprised that she told him. They are very healthy, mom is anyway, dad not so much. One tells me one thing, the other says another. Dad said feed him sausage biscuits everyday, which I do not, because he won't eat anything else. In a way, I am glad this was brought up because I had no idea about the popcorn. I do serve it but only a little and only on Fridays and only to kids 4 and older.
Ariana 03:52 PM 03-19-2015

itlw8 03:53 PM 03-19-2015
tomatoes are actually a cancer fighting food. We need to eat more of them.

Pictures are a no go but If mom wants to say microwave popcorn, bacon hot dogs, are bad then that is ok I guess
daycare 04:09 PM 03-19-2015
perhaps maybe dcm meant the pesticides that are on the tomatoes.
Thriftylady 04:12 PM 03-19-2015
Well we did quit the micro popcorn, and found it is super easy with some oil or butter and popcorn kernals in a turned down paper lunch bag in the micro without the chemicals. Try it!!!
Ariana 04:16 PM 03-19-2015
I bought an air popper and the kids love using it! I pour coconut oil on it with cinnamon and voila, a super healthy treat.

As for the cancer I do agree with mom but I think she is going overboard but some parents believe in full disclosure. I just tell my kids that there are chemicals that are not good for their bellies. They accept that explanation.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:52 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
One of my favorite kid quotes ever, from when I was teaching in the south, and had a kid with a very southern accent:
"Mah penis is big!" to a kid, then "mah penis is little, but mah daddy's penis is BIG!"
daycarediva 05:11 PM 03-19-2015
Oh geeze! I wouldn't say anything. One of them told me his mom gives him 'healthy chocolate' I was curious and asked.... chocolate coated fiber one bars. We differ on the meaning of 'healthy'.
daycare 05:20 PM 03-19-2015
lol..yeah that is not healthy that is junk with a health label....
hope 05:28 PM 03-19-2015
What is wrong with tomatoes?
Thriftylady 05:38 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
I don't think anything is wrong with the tomatoes. Some of the new linings in cans have raised some concern. But that would be many fruits and veggies that are canned.
Gemma 05:38 PM 03-19-2015

DaveA 06:18 PM 03-19-2015
WOW! This thread took a turn I wasn't expecting. I had kid at a center tell me that me not wearing pajamas on PJ Day (I never did it because I walked to work there) would make her Mom mad because "Mommy told Grandma she wanted to see you in your pajamas!" And of course the girl was SOOOOO proud to let Mom know she had warned me how mad Mommy was about it. That woman wouldn't talk to me for a month afterwards.

As for the food, I don't do microwave popcorn. I make it on the stove with the kids watching. They think it's some sort of alchemy, although I did have one kid ask me "Don't you know the RIGHT way to make popcorn? You know- in the MICROWAVE?"
hope 06:47 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
WOW! This thread took a turn I wasn't expecting. I had kid at a center tell me that me not wearing pajamas on PJ Day (I never did it because I walked to work there) would make her Mom mad because "Mommy told Grandma she wanted to see you in your pajamas!" And of course the girl was SOOOOO proud to let Mom know she had warned me how mad Mommy was about it. That woman wouldn't talk to me for a month afterwards.

As for the food, I don't do microwave popcorn. I make it on the stove with the kids watching. They think it's some sort of alchemy, although I did have one kid ask me "Don't you know the RIGHT way to make popcorn? You know- in the MICROWAVE?"
I make mine on the stove too and it seems alien to everyone.
Laurel 03:38 AM 03-20-2015
We bought a popcorn popper just for fun as it has a clear cover which when turned upside down after popping makes a bowl for the popcorn. The grandkids like to watch it popping. Mostly though we discovered that it tastes so much better than the microwave kind. I have also tried the regular brown paper bag in microwave. It works great. We do use popcorn oil in the popper but you don't have to.

Laurel
Laura5287 04:46 AM 03-20-2015
This is why I love posting on this site. I actually learned something today. I honestly did not realize that microwave popcorn was bad. I will not be using it anymore. I guess I used it out of convenience. I do have a big popcorn machine that we use sometimes and they love waiting for it to start popping. Time to start taking a look at what is "healthy" again.
Thanks everyone.
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 03-20-2015
Speaking of convenience and popcorn....

Do any of you remember this:
Attached: th (8).jpg (9.7 KB) thLMZV2Q03.jpg (11.5 KB) thYP7F9P7S.jpg (18.5 KB) 
LysesKids 06:43 AM 03-20-2015

The version we take camping lol... Love it
daycare 07:40 AM 03-20-2015

wow what in the world is that????
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 03-20-2015
wow what in the world is that????
LOL! Here is the short version...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...523E7B85BACBBB
Ariana 10:16 AM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
Ok here goes! Tomatoes are gassed with chemicals so that they ripen and turn red on trucks. That way the tomato is nice and red when it arrives at the store. Most tomatoes come from Florida where this is practiced. Tomatoes are also Genetically Modified Organisms. This basically means that most tomatoes that are not grown organically have spliced genes to make them bigger, redder, rounder etc. They also make them frost resistant by splicing them with arctic char genes....yes that's a fish!

Some people think these chemicals and GMO foods are responsible for the increasing numbers of cancer and diabetes in our country.
daycarediva 10:32 AM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Ok here goes! Tomatoes are gassed with chemicals so that they ripen and turn red on trucks. That way the tomato is nice and red when it arrives at the store. Most tomatoes come from Florida where this is practiced. Tomatoes are also Genetically Modified Organisms. This basically means that most tomatoes that are not grown organically have spliced genes to make them bigger, redder, rounder etc. They also make them frost resistant by splicing them with arctic char genes....yes that's a fish!

Some people think these chemicals and GMO foods are responsible for the increasing numbers of cancer and diabetes in our country.
and autism.

I buy organic tomatoes and we have an air popper for popcorn. No microwave.
Thriftylady 10:36 AM 03-20-2015
Now I am glad I grow and can as many as I can in the summer. I knew the store ones don't really have a flavor. We do used canned ones, I just can't grow enough.
laundrymom 10:40 AM 03-20-2015
I just grab my tomatoes from the yard but yes. I love me some of that horrible popcorn.
daycare 10:49 AM 03-20-2015
LOL! Here is the short version...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...523E7B85BACBBB
OMG that is the coolest thing i have ever seen. Why have I never seen that before?

I don't think that I would ever eat it, I don't like popcorn, but I just want to make some.

Do they still sell that or is something from the past??
itlw8 11:00 AM 03-20-2015
Tomato is a plant. The fruit is a familiar vegetable, but the fruit, leaf, and vine are used to make medicine.

Tomato is used for preventing cancer of the breast, bladder, cervix, colon and rectum, stomach, lung, ovaries, pancreas, and prostate. It is also used to prevent diabetes, diseases of the heart and blood vessels (cardiovascular disease), cataracts, and asthma.

Some people use tomato to treat high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, the common cold, chills, and digestive disorders.

How does it work?
Tomatoes contain a chemical called lycopene, which is thought to play a role in preventing cancer. It’s easier for the body to use lycopene that comes from tomato products, such as tomato paste or tomato juice, than from fresh tomatoes.

US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Purdue University researchers are developing a tomato that contains more than twice as much lycopene and has a longer shelf life than currently available tomatoes. The tomato, which is still in development, is modified with a yeast gene that slows the ripening process, allowing more time for lycopene to accumulate. Researchers think it will be several years before this tomato is on store shelves.
Ariana 11:50 AM 03-20-2015
You are right but the lycopene content in store bought tomatoes pales in comparison to organic or garden grown. Also some might argue that the harm being done by the chemicals used to produce tomatoes outweighs any benefit the lycopene might provide.

As for the GMO plant being "manufactured" by researchers in a lab at Perdue, there is zero research available on how these modified genes interact with the human body. Ingesting something that might be causing cancer in order to fight cancer is a bit odd isn't it? More research needs to be done in my opinion and that research needs to be made available to the public and done by an independent third party.

There wouldn't need to be super cancer fighting tomatoes if we stopped using so many chemicals and GMO's to begin with.
LysesKids 12:25 PM 03-20-2015
OMG that is the coolest thing i have ever seen. Why have I never seen that before?

I don't think that I would ever eat it, I don't like popcorn, but I just want to make some.

Do they still sell that or is something from the past??
Jiffy pop used to be the bomb... you can still buy it at some stores like Walmart and Amazon. I grew up eating that when I was little. Haven't had it in years
LysesKids 12:29 PM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
and autism.

I buy organic tomatoes and we have an air popper for popcorn. No microwave.
This is me. I also have no microwave; I thought I was an oddball. My babies don't know any better because they are littles, but parents sort of wonder how I manage to cook without one... The old fashioned way lol
Thriftylady 12:45 PM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
This is me. I also have no microwave; I thought I was an oddball. My babies don't know any better because they are littles, but parents sort of wonder how I manage to cook without one... The old fashioned way lol
I don't understand how some people claim to "cook" meals in a microwave. I use it to reheat stuff but never to "cook".
Unregistered 01:27 PM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I agree that gmo's are bad. I grow my own. According to GMO Compass there are not any gmo tomatoes anymore. There was the one that had salmon genes back in the 90's.....
Unregistered 03:06 AM 03-22-2015
I read tons of health news and lots on GMO's and have never seen reports on tomatoes being GMO. Sugar beets and sugar is in everything, zucchini, papaya, canola oil, soy - like 90% but not organic soy products! and corn feed to beef cattle. Just recently some GMO sweet corn arrived on the seen.

Cans with plastic lining...scary! Especially acidic food like tomatoes. Microwave popcorn? Bad news!

As far as telling a child extreme info on these foods? That's scary too!
Tags:cancer, food issues, parents - ask too much
Reply Up