Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do The Kids Call You?
KEG123 05:29 PM 05-19-2011
And how do they learn to call you that??

I don't know if I should be simply "Liz" or "Miss Liz" ?? Miss Liz to me sounds funny, maybe its just because I'm young and Miss is kinda...outdated? Same with Mrs., or Mr. IMO.

As it is right now, the kids don't call me anything. One time my 17 month old called me mommy and I said "No... I'm Liz" but I don't think he gets it, which is fine.

Anyways, just curious.
nannyde 05:31 PM 05-19-2011
They all call me Nan. The parents do too.
JenNJ 05:31 PM 05-19-2011
Miss Jen. I think its respectful, but casual. This is How I teach my kids to address the daycare parents as well.
Abigail 07:54 PM 05-19-2011
I'm called Abigail or Teacher....mostly teacher, LOVE IT
Crystal 08:19 PM 05-19-2011
Crystal. These kids are with me from infancy, I see no reason to be formal
PitterPatter 08:29 PM 05-19-2011
They all just call me by my 1st name usually. Some have called me Miss. *** in the past but they grew up and aren't here now. 1 of my current DCKs started calling me Miss *** when they heard a visiting child call me that. When the Grandmother heard DCK adress me with that she said she would prefer the DCK to just call me by my 1st name because with him calling me Miss... it's like reinforcing the black in him. (the child is mixed 1/2 white & 1/2 black) I didn't know what to say to that so I just changed the subject and started correcting the child when he used Miss.

It's silly really because most preschools and centers around here are refered to as Miss suchandsuch. I don't think it's just a 'black thing'
sharlan 08:43 PM 05-19-2011
For years my dck's called me by my first name. My 15 yo granddaughter grew up with the daycare kids calling me by my first name, so that's what she still calls me. She's never called me Grandma.

The younger 3 kids all call me Grandma.
laundrymom 09:18 PM 05-19-2011
Mine call me miss Jill. It's what I like. Has nothing to do with formality. I used to have a Jill and it started to keep us separated. It stuck. I like that at work I'm " miss Jill" and when I take off that hat I'm just Jill
spud912 10:06 PM 05-19-2011
I have a problem where my 2 year old daughter is starting to call me by my first name......
boysx5 03:28 AM 05-20-2011
They all call me Ms. Julie
DancingQueen 04:36 AM 05-20-2011
I ask them all to call me Tara (I hate formalities in my family environment).

but..
4.5 dcb - Tara
2.5 dcb - Mum
2 dkg - mommy, mom or Tara (normally mom)d
18m dkg - mom or mommy
3.5month dkg - WAHHHHHHHH!

I'm always correct them with my actual name when they call me mom - but it doesn't change what they call me.
WImom 04:54 AM 05-20-2011
The kids all call me - Miss Theresa
KEG123 05:04 AM 05-20-2011
At least I'm not the only one who likes just plain names... instead of miss something.
nannyde 05:17 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Crystal. These kids are with me from infancy, I see no reason to be formal
I'm old fashioned I guess but I just don't like kids calling adults by their first name. My kids don't even know my first name.

We are a nicknamin group though. We nickname the kids when they are babies and do some version of that till they go off to kindy. If the other kids come up with a way to pronounce a kids name that is sweet we will use that too.

I rarely ever call them by their real names ... unless of course they are in some troubles. Then they get their first, middle, and last name with a big emphasis on the last name.

When they hear their real name come out they KNOW it's time to perk up their little ears.
Mom_of_two 05:42 AM 05-20-2011
Mine all use my first name, which I am ok with in this instance but think about it sometimes. I always instruct my own kids to use 'Miss, Mrs. and Mr' with adults, so maybe will change it in the future here, too...
MyAngels 05:42 AM 05-20-2011
The kids call me by my first name, or a shortened version of it, depending on their age. I wouldn't like being called Miss ****, either.
wdmmom 05:57 AM 05-20-2011
All the kiddos call me Missy, MeMe or Mommy. I've got one that can't pronounce M's so I'm Sissy to him.

I think it'd be kinda weird to have them call me Miss Missy
Zoe 06:04 AM 05-20-2011
I think they'll get plenty of practice calling their teachers Ms. or Mr. in school so I don't see any reason to teach little ones this early. They call me by my first name. Here in MN it isn't considered rude to call an adult by his/her first name. Down south I know it's a different story.
MsMe 06:10 AM 05-20-2011
I am Ms. ****.

Every adult that enters my daycare home is a Ms. or Mr.

We love having a 'home' feel but still think children should learn to address adults with respect.
nannyde 06:11 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
All the kiddos call me Missy, MeMe or Mommy. I've got one that can't pronounce M's so I'm Sissy to him.

I think it'd be kinda weird to have them call me Miss Missy
I like "missy missy"

That's a keeper
missnikki 06:41 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I am Ms. ****.

Every adult that enters my daycare home is a Ms. or Mr.

We love having a 'home' feel but still think children should learn to address adults with respect.
Big surprise here, they call me Miss Nikki (even after I got married) because at this school, the teachers are Mr/Mrs LastName, but I wanted a middle ground so I went with first name.

I agree about the respecting adults thing.
mickey2 06:56 AM 05-20-2011
Mine all call me Auntie (my name)

It started about 6 years ago when I started providing daycare again after taking a break for a few years. The very first little girl I cared for at 11 months old (now 6) was calling me mommy so her mom said no that's your Auntie ***xx. It has stuck with her and all of my kiddies ever since and I love it!
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I think they'll get plenty of practice calling their teachers Ms. or Mr. in school so I don't see any reason to teach little ones this early. They call me by my first name. Here in MN it isn't considered rude to call an adult by his/her first name. Down south I know it's a different story.
Born and raised in MN and to this day I do not call my friends' parents from my school days by their first names because I was raised to use Miss/Mrs or Mr. LOL!!

ALL my dck's call me Miss C******. I taught both my own kids to call adults by Miss/Mrs or Mr as well. I was taught that it was a sign of respect and wouldn't dream of allowing the kids to call me by my first name only.

This is just my personal opinion. I also know that the providers in the local provider group I belong to all have their dck's call them Miss "whatever their name is" also. Same with my friends outside of work and their children...all taught to use Miss/Mrs or Mr. too.

IMHO, I don't think it is or isn't a MN thing, I think it is more a generational thing.
Live and Learn 07:50 AM 05-20-2011
I have a nickname that my first daycare child gave me. She couldn't pronounce my first name. She called me this from the time she could speak until this day. She is 7 now. Every daycare kid since has called me this. For privacy reasons I am not going to post the actual name but I love it.
BusyBee 08:24 AM 05-20-2011
I despise being called Miss X. Ugh it makes me cringe. I had a boy who used to do that but he is gone now. It drove me nuts the whole time, not sure why.
Christian Mother 08:45 AM 05-20-2011
Mine are all under 2 1/2 so they all call me mommy. I think they say that since my 4 yr old is home with me and they here her call me that. But, sometimes after I correct them I can get a Miss Misty or Misty...or Missy.
KEG123 08:51 AM 05-20-2011
Well I am fairly young, in my mid twenties, never called my friend's parents "miss" or "mister" it was always a first name basis. Born and raised in the midwest, although for a brief period I lived in the south. If I remember correctly, it was the same there. First name basis unless it was a teacher. Actually, lots of professors I've had at the local community college want me to call them by their first name too. So much less awkward, IMO.
dEHmom 08:53 AM 05-20-2011
sorry didn't read all the threads, but i've often wondered this too.

one of my dcm's is a dance teacher, and of course they call her miss.....
so she calls me miss ***X to her son. one of my dcg's called me mommy for a long time too. but that's because she didnt' talk or anything, and she just related mom and dad to females and males.

i'm sticking with miss ***X because i don't want to use my last name like a teacher would etc. so they use my first name.

it's a sign of respect, and although i'm nothing formal, i don't want to just be called by my first name either. kwim?

i struggled with it for a long time, and the miss thing just sort of fell into place. i honestly hate my first name though, and i can't even say it, my mouth doesn't like to form the letters.

i think using miss is a good way so that it's not exactly intimidating to little ones, it's easy to say, and if they just wanna say miss instead of miss ***X then they can.
DancingQueen 09:54 AM 05-20-2011
I think either is fine. I'm not personally a fan of the Miss *** but I get why people like it and I always respect it. And generally I have my children introduced to other adults as Mr or Mrs. so and so. Unless they say "no please call me Sally" then they call them sally. Because as much as I think it is important for our children to have certain level of respect for adults - accepting that they don't want to be called Mrs or miss is a part of respecting them.
I personally can't stand formality for ME. I don't like it when people in a personal setting refer to me as Miss or Mrs. I also don't like to be called "Aunt ***" My niece's and nephews use my first name. All of their other aunts and uncles on other side of the family they call by aunt *** or uncle *** but because they respect me - they know to just call me by my first name.
funny thing is that my older sister is the same way. She hates the formality. She works in the school system and she deals with it enough there she says she doesn't want it in her personal life.
But when my kids went to the same school she works in they called her "Mrs....." Because they respect her and know when to use appropriate names.

One thing that I am not a fan of is when someone introduces their child to me and says "And this is Miss ***"
I quickly say - "please - have him call me by my first name"
and they refuse and INSIST on the MISS.
To me they are not showing their child anything about respect.
The first part is fine - but when I make it clear I don't want to be called that name - it should be acknowledged and respected.

and I have to add.. I'm married - I earned the MRS. so if anything . ... I think MRS is more appropriate.
Miss isn't a casual form of Mrs.. It means you aren't married I thought?
Former Teacher 07:25 PM 05-20-2011
When I was at my former center I was Ms. First Name. Once there was a boy whose mother worked with me, he was 4 at the time. Well he grew older when one day he was 11 years old. He called me by my first name ONCE. I said J- until the day you turn 18 years old you are to call me Ms. First Name. I WILL NOT have a child, meaning under 18 years old and non adult, call me by my first name.

Well it must have been such an impact that this little boy is now 20 and I am STILL Ms First Name
SilverSabre25 07:48 PM 05-20-2011
I have them call me by my first name...we're not too formal of a place here and asking them to call me Miss ****** would feel weird. Plus, my DD calls me by my first name (sigh...trying so hard to break her of that) and it would break my heart if she was calling me Miss on top of it.

In reality though, I get:
DD 3.5: First name
DCB 3: garbled version of first name, or mommy if he wants to make DD mad...which is often.
DCG 2: Mommy
DCB 2: (nothing, not many words from him yet)
littlemissmuffet 09:10 PM 05-20-2011
To the DCKs I'm auntie and the hubs is uncle.
Lucy 11:26 PM 05-20-2011
They call me Joyce. Funny, though... people in the South always use "Miss" so-and-so. In my 17 years, I've had a family from Tennessee, and a family from Georgia. The parents each introduced me to their children as "Miss Joyce", and the parent continued to call me that and refer to me as that to their kids. The kids, however, just said "Joyce" because that's what all their peers were doing. I really don't care what they call me, as long as they call me something nice!!
Former Teacher 06:30 AM 05-21-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have them call me by my first name...we're not too formal of a place here and asking them to call me Miss ****** would feel weird. Plus, my DD calls me by my first name (sigh...trying so hard to break her of that) and it would break my heart if she was calling me Miss on top of it.
My mother would have my behind if I ever called her by her first name

As old as I am I still would never call her by her first name. Jokingly I sometimes call her Mrs. ***** but that is few and far between. Even in conversation I will say my mom, my mother.
Childminder 08:03 PM 05-21-2011
I'm Aunt Cheri (French pronunciation, not Sherry) since I was 7 months old. Except by grandchildren and a few select dckids. Many variations of Aunt Cheri: aunt we, aunt tree, aunt shay-we, an-we, chim-cheree, aunt swee...etc... DH is Papa Jerry.
DaisyMamma 07:15 AM 05-23-2011
I personally don't like being called "miss" but the younger kids tend to call me mom or momma or mommy because 2 of my kids are here all the time and call me that
Sunshine44 09:48 AM 05-23-2011
Hmm...two of mine do not talk yet. My daughter calls me mommy and sometimes the 1 yr old dcg calls me that too. It's not a lot and I know it's because all she hears is someone calling me mommy. She calls her mom "mama". I usually refer to myself as "miss soandso" or just soandso. Sometimes I let the parents decide. Whatever they start out calling me. I'm sure next year this will come up more.
newtodaycare22 09:59 AM 05-23-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
and I have to add.. I'm married - I earned the MRS. so if anything . ... I think MRS is more appropriate.
Miss isn't a casual form of Mrs.. It means you aren't married I thought?

I think Ms. means either married or unmarried. It's broad.

Miss means you are single.

Or so I've been told.
Cat Herder 10:04 AM 05-23-2011
I am southern to the core so they call me Mrs. **** or Mam (yes, mam, no, mam), even the parents since I am a good 15 years older than they are. When I have a parent the same age we are on a first name basis.

The infants, of course, just call me Wahhhhh!! with grabby hands...
daycare 10:08 AM 05-23-2011
not even adults can say my name right, so the kids call me miss loole....Most of them cant pronounce L so it comes out miss yoolee...

Even my own son will call me miss mommy loole.

Even though miss means single, its fine with me as they are kids and have no clue what the difference between mrs. and miss is....
SandeeAR 10:12 AM 05-23-2011
None of mine say more than a few words yet. When they start talking, I will teach them "Miss Sandee". For me it is a respect thing. All adults are referred to as "Mrs/Miss" or "Mr".
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 05-23-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
The infants, of course, just call me Wahhhhh!! with grabby hands...

Tags:name - kids call provider
Reply Up