Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: At what age should a child be potty trained by?
2 years old 8 21.62%
3 years old 15 40.54%
4 years old 10 27.03%
It depends on if it's a boy or girl 7 18.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Trained
Christina72684 06:14 PM 08-04-2011
I have a 3yr old boy who uses diapers and isn't potty trained at all. Is that too old or is it normal? I have no clue. I just know I hate changing his stinky, nasty, diapers!
familyschoolcare 06:19 PM 08-04-2011
How old a child should be when you potty train depends on the child and what you mean by potty training. it is possible to take a very young child 18 months, and train their bodies to only go at certain times during the day and therefore they would not need a diaper. However, sometime three year old children do not yet recognize that they have control over the pee and poop that comes out of their body.
CheekyChick 06:52 PM 08-04-2011
I feel a child at 2 should either be toilet trained or well on their way. Sadly, I have one little boy (4 years of age) who STILL has (poo poo) accidents. I think boys are much slower than girls - in most cases. Thank goodness I love this little boy or I would be frustrated by this point.
familyschoolcare 06:56 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I feel a child at 2 should either be toilet trained or well on their way. Sadly, I have one little boy (4 years of age) who STILL has (poo poo) accidents. I think boys are much slower than girls - in most cases. Thank goodness I love this little boy or I would be frustrated by this point.
My son had poop poo "accidents" until the other kids in his kindergarten class made fun of him. After ruling out any physical thing causing him to not have control over his poo, the doctor told me it was a control issue.
afmama 07:09 PM 08-04-2011
I don't think there is any set age at all. People get so worried about the number....do they ask on job applications "oh and what age where you potty trained?" I think 4 or 5 would be the omg why aren't you on the potty yet?!!

But 2 and 3 is pretty normal to still be learning.
AnneCordelia 03:52 AM 08-05-2011
All my kids train somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 years old.
Kaddidle Care 04:43 AM 08-05-2011
Boys are later than girls for some reason. It depends on the child and the family history. Some families have children wetting the bed well into School Age.

I started my first at 18 mos. (too early) and it was a nightmare because we were potty training forever.

I started my 2nd boy at 3 1/2 and we were 100% within the month.

THEY have to be ready. Just encourage it but don't push it. There's a fine line there and you don't want to cross into stubborness.
squareone 05:16 AM 08-05-2011
Just waiting on a child to be "ready" can take a lifetime. They need some modeling and encouragement and I like to start "encouraging" at around age 2. Barring any mental or physical issues, most children have the should be completely daytime trained by age 3.
KEG123 05:21 AM 08-05-2011
My son is 3 yr 4 months and just got the hang of PT. It really was like one day it just CLICKED for him. I never got worried, but I was ready for him to be ready!! I did not want to mess with 2 in diapers. So right now I do still put diapers on him when he sleeps and when we go in public (mostly because I have not figured out how to have him pee sitting down on a big potty because that is how he learned)
Kaddidle Care 08:33 AM 08-05-2011
Oh he'll be pleased as punch when you or Daddy show him how to do it standing up!
KEG123 08:51 AM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Oh he'll be pleased as punch when you are Daddy show him how to do it standing up!
I want to wait as long as possible for that.
Christian Mother 09:01 AM 08-05-2011
I think the age is between 2 between 3. I worked at a preschool 2's class and all the 2 yrs olds all had to be fully potty trained...so i know it can be done. With me and the teacher there where 12-15 kids each day in attendance. Here in my daycare I have 4 boys and all 3 are trained. They are between 2 and 2 1/2. The 4th boy turns 2 in Sept. and he is starting to show signs as he is indicating when he's peed or pooped.
Kaddidle Care 01:54 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
Just waiting on a child to be "ready" can take a lifetime. They need some modeling and encouragement and I like to start "encouraging" at around age 2. Barring any mental or physical issues, most children have the should be completely daytime trained by age 3.
You saying my boy's got issues? Go back to square one or it's Game Over!
Crazy8 02:10 PM 08-05-2011
I think it really depends on the child but I like to see them trained somewhere in the 3's (so before age 4). Of course earlier is nice. I have seen kids ready at 2.5 and kids with no interest at 3.5. I believe in a little encouragement, especially if they are over 3 but I also believe if they are ready the process will be SO MUCH EASIER so I look for cues that they are ready!
MG&Lsmom 02:24 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I think it really depends on the child but I like to see them trained somewhere in the 3's (so before age 4). Of course earlier is nice. I have seen kids ready at 2.5 and kids with no interest at 3.5. I believe in a little encouragement, especially if they are over 3 but I also believe if they are ready the process will be SO MUCH EASIER so I look for cues that they are ready!
This is what I have found. Encourage, but no pressure. They will get it when they are ready, but you have to show them what they're ready for.

The new dcg I have is 2.9 and has been "trained" for months. What this means is DCD would take her every hour to 1.5 hrs doing everything for her. She's only told me 2 times in 6 days of care that she had to go. And once she didn't go. I've not taken her myself 2x by the 1.5 hr mark and she's had accidents. She can't do her pants, wipe on herself, flush or wash her hands with out tremendous amounts of help. I don't consider this potty trained. The adults in her life are trained to take her. I'm not going to go backwards with her though. I'd rather take her every and not change diapers.
daysofelijah 02:36 PM 08-05-2011
I expect kids to be day trained with very few accidents by about 30 months. Every kid I have trained was fully capable of this, except 2 boys who took longer. I think in both those cases though it was because the parents didn't really care if they didn't train until 3-4. If you don't mind changing 3 year old diapers fine, but I don't so I get all the kids trained by 2.5.

Trained to me though means able to go 2 hours with reminders and possibly some help with clothing. I don't make the kids wait until they ask on their own or do their own clothing. We go on a schedule here until they are in control enough to go when they need to go and sometimes that can be until 3.5 or so.
Squirrel 02:40 PM 08-05-2011
I consider kids to go through two stages of potty training. One is dependent where they need to have an adult take them and aid in clothes, wiping, and hand washing. I don't mind this stage at all because it's easier and cleaner than changing diapers. The second is independent potty training where they learn to do all the parts of the routine on their own which is when most providers consider them fully potty trained. I'd say in my experience most 2 year olds can get the dependent potty training which does involve them asking and holding until getting there but doesn't pressure them to be able to have great fine motor skills on top of controlling their bodies. By 3.5 most kids that were dependently potty trained in their twos should be capable of being independent but that depends on how good they are at the finer motor skills and reaching required to be independent. So in my opinion kids should be free of diapers by 3 and free of needing help in the bathroom by 4.
Kaddidle Care 03:45 PM 08-05-2011
I always say you need to dangle the right carrot. Find out what they really want!

Tags:potty trained - not, potty training, potty training advice
Reply Up