Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can't they see it???? just venting
jenny31052 08:54 AM 09-30-2011
I mean, I have this 18 months that constantly keeps showing up in clothes that are waaay too small, or waaaay to big! I mean, this morning he is wearing a jean overall that it's so small that everytime he walks the buttons between his legs snaps open, so now it looks like he has a skirt on... today he also showed up with a pair of shoes.. size 8!!!!!! His hair are superlong, and his bang hasn't been cut in months, considering that he doesn't get a bath everyday, it can get kind of nasty to look at!

I mean.. you as a parent, can't you see that the clothes are too freaking small, and the shoes are too freaking big!!!!!!!
And that your kid needs an haircut, and his fingernails trimmed????

Ugh.... I don't understand...
Zoe 09:37 AM 09-30-2011
It's not whether they can see it, it's whether they care or not.
nannyde 11:12 AM 09-30-2011
Oh they see it. They know the clothes don't fit and he's dirty and unkempt.

They don't have to deal with any of it when he's at your house so it doesn't affect them in any way.

The only way I know to solve it is to have clothes on hand to switch him into when he arrives and switch him back right before he leaves. Pull his hair up in a pony so it's not in his face during play.

I would tell them he MUST come completely clean every day and his nails must stay trimmed.
sharlan 11:37 AM 09-30-2011
The child is not a priority to these parents.

You can do one of 3 things #1 - buy a couple of cheap outfits to keep at your house and give up on the parents. #2 - demand that the parents dress the child appropriately and realize that's not going to happen. #3 - give up on the situation and let the child wear ill fitting clothing.

Personally, I'd pick #1. Hit a couple of garage sales or thrift stores and buy some cheap, but practical outfits to be changed into and out of at your house.
nannyde 11:53 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
The child is not a priority to these parents.

You can do one of 3 things #1 - buy a couple of cheap outfits to keep at your house and give up on the parents. #2 - demand that the parents dress the child appropriately and realize that's not going to happen. #3 - give up on the situation and let the child wear ill fitting clothing.

Personally, I'd pick #1. Hit a couple of garage sales or thrift stores and buy some cheap, but practical outfits to be changed into and out of at your house.
demand the parents dress the child appropriately and realize that's not going to happen

The problem with that plan is that "appropriate" is in the eye of the beholder.

You say "his pants are too long"
Parent: "oh they work great at home"

You "the snaps are coming undone"
Parent: "oh that hasn't happened at home"

You "the waist is too big on the pants"
Parent "oh we just roll the waist"
You "I see that... the roll keeps coming undone"
Parent "Oh it stays up great for us"

You "the shoes are way too big for him"
Parent "the lady at the shoe store said they fit great.
You "he's tripping over his feet when he walks"
Parent "oh we went to the park yesterday and he walked the whole way"

and on and on

No matter what words you use they come up with words that undo them.

I had this one parent a few years ago who would send her kid in shoes that were a full INCH too big and stand at my door and swear that they fit and the expert at stride rite told her to buy that size. They would buy rediculously long pants and roll the cuff and then tell me that the cuffs stayed rolled.

Ugh.. the second the kid hit the door I would just remove the pants and switch him into sweats. The dang pants lasted two full winters because they were so long and never actually got worn here. They were in perfect condition for two winters. It was because of this family I decided to buy shoes for the whole day care. I could NOT safely walk the kid in the shoes.

I just keep a good stock of footed jammies, socks, sweats, sweatshirts, and onesies here. If I don't like the clothes or they are cumbersome enough to slow down my assistant or pose a tripping issue.. I just put my clothes on the kid. My biggest problem is getting her to take them OFF of the kid before departure ESPECIALLY in the winter time. I've lost a lot of inventory that way.

If you let nice easy fitted clothes out the door you will never get them back. The parent will gladly exchange the stuff that doesn't fit for your stuff that does fit. The only chance you will see it again is if Dad gets the kid dressed and doesn't realize that great thick comfy sweat set his kid has been wearing for the last month actually belongs to you.
JEM 06:04 AM 02-08-2012
Nan, when you say you buy shoes for the whole daycare what kind do you buy? What is a really good flexible shoe for little ones? Seems mine are tripping all the time, even in good quality, expensive little shoes.
Tags:clothing - issues
Reply Up