Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Easter Sensory Bin
ABCDaycareMN 10:57 AM 03-06-2013
I have never made one before. I'd like to give it a try. What would I put it in?
MsLaura529 11:00 AM 03-06-2013
Cotton balls, or those pom-pom balls (bunny tails), plastic eggs (maybe with things inside that would make noise), the "grass" that goes in easter baskets.
melilley 11:13 AM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
Cotton balls, or those pom-pom balls (bunny tails), plastic eggs (maybe with things inside that would make noise), the "grass" that goes in easter baskets.
They love the grass! It gets messy, but it's easy to pick up and so much fun for them! Watch out for flying easter eggs too....lol
countrymom 11:55 AM 03-06-2013
I have one out and it has the grass in it. The grass is everywhere.
mema 11:56 AM 03-06-2013
I would just hit the Dollar Store. When I was there last time, they were just starting to put out their Easter stuff. I'm sure they have a variety of little things. Erasers, egg dying cups and the lifter out thing, plastic eggs, cotton balls for bunnies, yellow pom poms for chicks.
ABCDaycareMN 11:58 AM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
I would just hit the Dollar Store. When I was there last time, they were just starting to put out their Easter stuff. I'm sure they have a variety of little things. Erasers, egg dying cups and the lifter out thing, plastic eggs, cotton balls for bunnies, yellow pom poms for chicks.
That's my plan for tonight. I didn't even think of the chicks idea. I'm loving all of these ideas. I sure hope the kids like it and it will occupy them for a while.
ABCDaycareMN 11:59 AM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have one out and it has the grass in it. The grass is everywhere.
Should I not get grass??? I don't know if I can handle a mess
My Lil' Monkeys 12:15 PM 03-06-2013
You could do dyed green rice instead? Like the link below..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JAOmpaovWc...0/IMG_0709.JPG
SilverSabre25 12:40 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
Should I not get grass??? I don't know if I can handle a mess
sensory boxes tend to be messy no matter what goes into them... easter grass is probably less messy than most fillers.
ABCDaycareMN 12:46 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
sensory boxes tend to be messy no matter what goes into them... easter grass is probably less messy than most fillers.
True. I think it comes down to what is safer for my cats to ingest? Lol.

Maybe I'll do a mixture of rice and grass. I'm still thinking. This is harder than I thought! I'll have to be sure to keep this one and all others I am going to make as it puts so much thought into making it. Lol. Will uncooked dyed rice keep?
mema 01:01 PM 03-06-2013
My cat LOVES the grass or tinsel that I put in the winter one. I put mine in a clear plastic tote with a lid, otherwise he has a hay day at night eating it all and puking it back up on my bed.
ABCDaycareMN 01:10 PM 03-06-2013
My cat LOVES the grass or tinsel that I put in the winter one. I put mine in a clear plastic tote with a lid, otherwise he has a hay day at night eating it all and puking it back up on my bed.
LOL! Thanks for the chuckle great visual! Maybe I don't want that! Lol
MsLaura529 01:10 PM 03-06-2013

Be careful, I don't want to scare you, but my aunt's cat died this way ... this tinsel from their Christmas tree (they thought they had pulled it all off from the year before when they didn't have the cat, but missed a couple) got knotted up inside of her, wrapped around stuff it shouldn't be wrapped around.

If you have cats, I wouldn't use the plastic grass - we don't use it in our kids' baskets because of the cats .... we use the shredded paper material grass, I feel it's safer for the animals because it will digest easier than the plastic.
snbauser 01:26 PM 03-06-2013
I use the paper grass instead of the plastic one. Much neater (well as neat as they can be) and no danger to animals. Also easier to clean up because it doesn't get all staticy.
CedarCreek 02:02 PM 03-06-2013
I just wanted to chime in on the sensory bin in general. I didn't know what to put in mine either not from lack of ideas but from too many! I ended up getting a 3 drawer tupperware storage thing and doing a different material for each level. 1st is rice, 2nd is beans and 3rd is water beads. When we play with them I do 2 kids per drawer and we rotate them so everyone gets a turn. Works out perfect because I have 6 kids. For Easter i'm thinking of putting a different element in each level.
Attached: 20130218_195704.jpg (62.1 KB) 
mema 02:39 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
Be careful, I don't want to scare you, but my aunt's cat died this way ... this tinsel from their Christmas tree (they thought they had pulled it all off from the year before when they didn't have the cat, but missed a couple) got knotted up inside of her, wrapped around stuff it shouldn't be wrapped around.

If you have cats, I wouldn't use the plastic grass - we don't use it in our kids' baskets because of the cats .... we use the shredded paper material grass, I feel it's safer for the animals because it will digest easier than the plastic.
I make sure to have a cover on it. We don't use any grass in our kids baskets when we hide them or tinsel on our tree. My cat will never die. He is 17 and going strong. He has eaten balloons (he popped a helium bday one and ate the entire thing), he has eaten friendship bracelets, kleenex, tinfoil, lint balls, he licks the edge of plastic containers and card board boxes, and probably way more than I know about. He will be an everlasting cat who gets sent off to college with my 12 year old. The vet is amazed at him. The only thing wrong with him is his thyroid and he is having a little fur issue.

Sorry to get off track.
ABCDaycareMN 05:32 PM 03-06-2013
Had so much fun at the dollar store. I got enough stuff to make 2 sensory bins, one for st patties day and one for Easter. I think I'll keep each out for 2 weeks. Is that too long of a time frame that they will get bored with it? I don't plan on the kiddos having free range to it but it to be brought out everyday.
countrymom 06:08 PM 03-06-2013
I bought a winde up chickee and the kids love it. They think its a pet because its so soft.
mema 08:06 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
Had so much fun at the dollar store. I got enough stuff to make 2 sensory bins, one for st patties day and one for Easter. I think I'll keep each out for 2 weeks. Is that too long of a time frame that they will get bored with it? I don't plan on the kiddos having free range to it but it to be brought out everyday.
I don't think 2 weeks too long. If they seem to get bored with it, just don't take it out for a day or two. Or do 1 week Easter, 1 week St. Patty and switch. I have 2 made up. 1 seasonal and 1 general. I had a little 2 yo that would play with the general one for hours if I let him. It has pom poms, straws, popsicle sticks, toilet paper and paper towel rolls, clothes pins, pipe cleaners, and some string. When he left, I thought about making one to send home with him, but they left one day and the next said they weren't coming back.
Meyou 12:44 AM 03-07-2013
I put paper easter grass, little baskets, a chick, a bunny, a lamb, plastic easter eggs in different sizes and pom poms in mine this year. They've been playing with it daily for 2 weeks.

I bring out holiday bins for about 6 weeks and I change the others about every 3 months or so. I keep 4 bins at a time but one is always larger items so I have one that's baby safe/
My3cents 04:25 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I use the paper grass instead of the plastic one. Much neater (well as neat as they can be) and no danger to animals. Also easier to clean up because it doesn't get all staticy.
OMG....... I have a very silly warped sense of humor.

I just envisioned the cat using the sensory box as a litter box. I don't know what is wrong with me. I can't stop laughing.
Tags:easter, easter - activities, sensory bins
Reply Up