Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Some Non-Curse Words
TGT09 05:59 AM 11-16-2010
What are some non-curse words that get on your last nerve?

Do you allow the children to say them since technically they aren't curse words?

Do you address it with their parents that they aren't allowed to use them at daycare and will have consequences?

For example: I hate "oh my God" (oh my gosh is fine), stupid, retarded, crap (can go either way on curse word or not).

I have a 3yo dcb that keeps saying "oh my God" and he has been told multiple times not to say it. I'm debating bringing it up with dcm. I'm also debating whether or not saying it should require a timeout.
Lilbutterflie 06:11 AM 11-16-2010
My kids are allowed to say "Oh my gosh" but not "Oh my God"
They aren't allowed to say mean words to each other like "You are______" fill in the blank with stupid, retarded, etc...

As far as discussing the use of "Oh my God" to dcm, I don't think I would. Your rules, your house. BUT the rules may not be the same at his house, so this is really just an issue of you enforcing your rules. You can't really ask dcm to enforce this rule in HER house. And since this phrase may or may not have religious meaning to them, I would just keep quiet about it. Enforce it when he's with you, and if you feel time out will work then go for it! Use whatever discipline you normally would when you enforce your rules.
TGT09 06:43 AM 11-16-2010
Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt about it too. Thanks.
missnikki 06:53 AM 11-16-2010
I can't stand:
"That's gay"
"Whatever" (in an annoyed context)
"Holy _____."
"What the."
"That Sucks."
and "OMG".

plus the ones previously mentioned.
TGT09 06:58 AM 11-16-2010
Yeah, I don't like those either MissNikki. I was trying to think of more.
laundrymom 07:25 AM 11-16-2010
I dont allow the word retarded to be used in my home, by anyone, child or adult. As far as Im concerned it is an antiquated term used to describe someone who is mentally challenged. I dont allow stupid, albino, short bus, helmet head, or any other previously used slang term to label someone. Its offensive and unless you take a stand,.. nothing will change, 60 years ago people used terms to label african americans,...30 yrs ago terms were used to label people who were mentally disabled or challenged, 10 yrs ago it was for people whos beliefs or heritage were different,... I dont allow anyone, from my ups man to my husband to use the terms in my home. I stop them right when it happens, and simply say,.. thats not a word used in this house. I do it for the teem friends of my kids, the grandparents of my daycare children, anyone in my home. I choose to make a difference. And unfortunately if you dont know someone with special needs or circumstance,.. alot of times you dont stop to feel the hurt that is caused. I have two special friends, Camden who is almost 12 and Reece who is 9 1/2 who taught me about labels. It was a very embarrassing lesson. One I wont forget.
TGT09 07:32 AM 11-16-2010
I completely agree that it's antiquated term that I wish would "die" off. My first real boyfriend after highschool's brother was down syndrome. I hold that very near and dear to my heart still.
tenderhearts 08:18 AM 11-16-2010
I don't allow "oh my god" either and was ok with 'oh my gosh" but is seemed like it was too close to oh my god and it slipped all the time so I started having them say oh my goodness that way it's harder to say and have to think about it and it worked with the couple I had problems with.

'that's wicked"

I'm with everyone else on all the others.
laundrymom 08:36 AM 11-16-2010
I am not fond of,.. crap , freakin or ,oh my goodness, fubar'ed, ,.. or holy ship, I had a 3 yr old who said holy ship. I had a talk with mom about ship and sxxt mean the same thing in that context and unless she were willing to have him saying the bad one,.. she needed to change it because neither was allowed here,.. we use oh Monkey teeth,... or oh stinky garbage, or if good,.. Oh yummy pie, or Oh angel choir!
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 11-16-2010
I have a 4 yr old dcb who was taught to say "cheese and rice" instead of a worse phrase. It is still implied and I do not allow him to say it because he says it exactly when you would use the other phrase and I think it sounds bad. Mom says it is cute....I say be cute at home! There are plenty of other words/phrases appropriate for 4 yr olds.
kitkat 08:56 AM 11-16-2010
I can't stand when a kid says darn it or poopy. I know they are not bad words, but I still don't like to hear a kid say it. When someone uses a poor word choice, I simply tell them there are better words to say and give them a few better choices to use.
momofsix 09:41 AM 11-16-2010
"Whaaaat" said all big-eyed and with lots ot syllables when they KNOW why they're getting "the look"
"Huh?" this didnt used to bother me,I said it myself but my husband pointed out to me how rude it really was, and when he explained it I totally saw his point (amazingly!)
plus most of the others already listed
TGT09 09:58 AM 11-16-2010
I do say "Huh?" a lot and can see where it's semi-rude now that I think about it. Most of the time, I say "excuse me?" or "what did you say?".

I'm trying to get my dck's past asking me "why" about everything. It isn't the good why because they are being curious. It's the "why" with trying to argue and get their way.
laundrymom 10:12 AM 11-16-2010
I have a couple who ask " why" anytime I ask them to do something,.. I simply say,.. because I asked nicely and used my manners,.. It has helped some.

Originally Posted by TGT09:
I do say "Huh?" a lot and can see where it's semi-rude now that I think about it. Most of the time, I say "excuse me?" or "what did you say?".

I'm trying to get my dck's past asking me "why" about everything. It isn't the good why because they are being curious. It's the "why" with trying to argue and get their way.

AfterSchoolMom 10:21 AM 11-16-2010
I've got one that says "What the BEEEP" - he actually says "beep" - I HATE that and tell him all the time that the bad word is implied, so it's not allowed.

I don't allow "you're stupid" or "that's stupid", "dumb", etc, "retarded" or "gay" either.

Also, bodily functions (unless they have to go and are telling me so) - butt, crap, poop, pee, and fart. No, no, no, no.
safechner 10:25 AM 11-16-2010
Very curious. Why are you not allowed "oh my god?" To me, I think there is nothing wrong with it since it is simple as oh my gosh or oh my goodness. What makes it difference?

I remember I used to say "oh my god" all the time a long time ago and someone pointed out about this. She said it is not nice word but I felt it doesn't make any sense to me.
TGT09 10:26 AM 11-16-2010
Oh don't get me started on bodily functions. I had a WHOLE day of correcting my school agers this summer on that! Drove me up the wall.

I'll have to try that Laundrymom. It's about all I can do after repeating and repeating myself of "why" they have to do something. I know I shouldn't be repeating but sometimes it's just easier. I've even pulled the "because I said so" line and even I don't like it. :-(
laundrymom 10:26 AM 11-16-2010
personally my faith is what makes me not like OH MY GOD, I think its disrespectful.
TGT09 10:28 AM 11-16-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
Very curious. Why are you not allowed "oh my god?" To me, I think there is nothing wrong with it since it is simple as oh my gosh or oh my goodness. What makes it difference?

I remember I used to say "oh my god" all the time a long time ago and someone pointed out about this. She said it is not nice word but I felt it doesn't make any sense to me.
My reasoning and probably most people that have agreed with me is that it's using God's name in vein. I was raised that "God" was worse than most curse words, when used in the wrong text that is. To this day, it grates on my nerves worse than anything else that comes out of a child's mouth.

ETA: In my 30 years, I think I have used God's name in vein less than 10 times.
safechner 10:34 AM 11-16-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
My reasoning and probably most people that have agreed with me is that it's using God's name in vein. I was raised that "God" was worse than most curse words, when used in the wrong text that is. To this day, it grates on my nerves worse than anything else that comes out of a child's mouth.

ETA: In my 30 years, I think I have used God's name in vein less than 10 times.

Thanks, TGT09!
elle73 11:45 AM 11-16-2010
I don't like bugger as in you little bugger for some reason that one really bugs me, and all the ones that have been mentioned above as well.
TGT09 11:50 AM 11-16-2010
Originally Posted by elle73:
I don't like bugger as in you little bugger for some reason that one really bugs me, and all the ones that have been mentioned above as well.
Yeah, it IS kind of a gross sounding word.
kidkair 12:34 PM 11-16-2010
When I don't allow certain words or phrases because they bug me I always make sure to replace it with an appropriate word or phrase. We use wow, cool, awesome, thank you!, please, grrrr, and crash here.
DBug 10:09 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by elle73:
I used that word when I was about 12 or 13 once, and my mom flipped! Apparently she was raised with it being a slang term for a child molester . I haven't used it since!

I also don't allow taking God's name in vain. It's VERY common around here for kids and parents, and most kids have no idea why I don't allow it. I just explain that God is very special, and when we throw His name around it's disrespectful. Then I usually point out how silly and disrespectful it could be if I were to say their name any time I'm happy, sad, scared, embarrassed, etc. (as in, Oh my Steven!! or whatever). I think it teaches them a valuable lesson in having respect for the beliefs of others, even if we don't agree with them. Same reason I don't say "Oh My Allah" or Buddah, or whatever. They do remember to watch their words after that (at least at my house!).
QualiTcare 10:55 AM 11-17-2010
i guess i'm the odd man out here. there are certain words like "retarded" that i wouldn't allow anyone to say, but other words like "crap" or "stupid" - i think it depends on the age. i had an argument about this with a co-worker before because she came to work with me in the school age room from the 3/4 room. 12 year old boys were getting in trouble for saying "crap" or "friggin" and it was hard on them because i never paid any attention to it.

she told me her whole spill about how they weren't nice words, etc., and i gave her my spill about how i'd be thrilled if the worst thing my 12 year old boy was doing is saying words like CRAP. i'm pretty sure that I'VE said crap and stupid when talking TO them.

my daughter asked if oh my god was bad to say because my aunt told her it was. i told her it's not because i say it and i'm not going to punish her for saying it, but i explained to her that some people don't like it.

it would take an actual curse word to ruffle my feathers, but then again, i'd be sent to talk to the potty myself if i was in daycare.
Tags:bad words, curse words, non-curse words
Reply Up