Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pre-Enrollment Visits During Business Hours
Unregistered 10:11 PM 12-20-2016
A prospective family I interviewed with that has 2 kids (15m and 4.5y) wants to come by to see how I interact with the kids and how the day goes, etc. I'm a new provider with 2 kids of my own (3m and 3y) and have 1 part time child (19m). Do any of you do this, and if so, how long do you allow them to be there?
Unregistered 10:42 PM 12-20-2016
For the initial interview visit I conduct it after business hours. Once they are enrolled I schedule another visit during my afternoon outdoor time that last for 15-20 minutes right before I close a week before they start care. That way there are still a couple of children for the child to interact with but not all that I have to worry about monitoring them and answering questions of the parents. It's also nice for my current families to meet the new parents when they pick up.
childcaremom 03:18 AM 12-21-2016
I don't allow visits when other children are present. I did it once when I was first starting out and it was.... chaos. So no more.

I tell prospective parents that I don't allow it for privacy and safety reasons. And really, they either trust me or they don't. I give a pretty good description of how our day goes and offer an extended trial period so that both parties can have an idea of whether or not it's a good fit.

If you do end up doing it, I really like the above suggestion. Clear time frame and less potential for chaos.
LysesKids 04:59 AM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I don't allow visits when other children are present. I did it once when I was first starting out and it was.... chaos. So no more.

I tell prospective parents that I don't allow it for privacy and safety reasons. And really, they either trust me or they don't. I give a pretty good description of how our day goes and offer an extended trial period so that both parties can have an idea of whether or not it's a good fit.

If you do end up doing it, I really like the above suggestion. Clear time frame and less potential for chaos.
This is me... no visits while kids are here.

I do infants only and sometimes I end up getting drop-in Foster babes, so safety is priority as is taking care of the kids, not chit chatting. I explain that because I deal with diaper changes, medical situations and sometimes have private issues I need to discuss with moms (not to mention the ones that nurse during lunch or pick up)... nope, not allowing more stress to be added to my day
midaycare 05:12 AM 12-21-2016
As a provider, I wouldn't care. As a parent who has had a child in daycare, nope. I don't want my child exposed to everyone who *might* get the opportunity to attend the daycare.
Heart12 06:47 AM 12-21-2016
I also dont allow visits when other children are here. It creates way too much chaos, (especially with my own child) & it takes my attention away from the children.
daycare 08:26 AM 12-21-2016
A day visit is the norm where I live so I decide that when you can't beat them, join them.

this is how I do it.

I always do phone interview first
Second interview is in person after childcare is over, no kids present.

I will only offer a circle time meet and greet if they ask and I am truly interested in enrolling them.

I arrange for the parent and child to come for 20-30 minutes and join us for circle time only.

This way I am able to 100% supervise the adult in the room and the child, along with our daycare kids. I also have my staff in the room with us and since it's not for very long it always works out.
Blackcat31 08:56 AM 12-21-2016
My standard reply:

"While I understand that you would want to "see me in action" before leaving your child for the first time, I cannot allow it for several reasons.

First is the privacy of the other children and their family's. I do diaper changes, deal with medical issues/conditions, and discuss their home life with them on a daily basis. I have a strict privacy policy and having another adult around violates the trust between my clients and myself.

Second, you are a stranger to the children and their parents. Please consider how you would feel if your child were in care and I allowed a strange adult to the daycare to observe your child.

Third, I consider the trust my clients place in me the cornerstone of our relationship. In a childcare relationship I am asking that a client trust me completely with their child. I ask for honesty and open communication. Asking me to prove myself above and beyond my criminal background check, photo identification, insurance information, and references is not something I am willing to do.

I do understand if you need to find other arrangements. Just know that I value the children's safety and security above all else and allowing adults in to observe them is not part of the safe and secure environment I promise them each and every day."

Heart12 10:29 AM 12-21-2016
BC, I wish I had what you have written out a few months back when my over bearing DCM was trying her hardest to spend a few hours here to observe me! I was just like, um no.
JackandJill 10:30 AM 12-21-2016
I don't allow any "observation" time for parents. I agree with BC's reasons, though her response is much more eloquent than what I usually sputter out to parents when they ask!

Also, I am not auditioning for a job, I am the one conducting the interview. I feel like starting off the business relationship with an "observation" by the parents causes a lot of confusion about who is actually in charge here!
Tags:observations, parent observations, parent visits, parents watching, visits
Reply Up