Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Coughs?
meli829 04:26 AM 01-06-2011
So what's the deal with coughs? What are your illness policies regarding a cough? Dcb has had a cough for a few days now and at first it was just periodically but this morning it is very frequent. I've been wondering what was up as he has been coming every morning smelling like Vicks rub, but didn't appear to be sick until the cough started. Mom said nothing can be done as it is just a cough when I pointed it out and she said she has been putting the humidifier on for him at night and dressing him warmer but she can't do anything else. What to do?
daysofelijah 05:55 AM 01-06-2011
I was coming to post the same question. My 4 yo dcb has been coughing constantly yesterday and now again today. His mom said he threw-up last night after dinner from coughing. I am looking for a reason to send the poor kid home. He is exhausted and miserable, crying over anything, and can't eat.

This sounds horrible, but I was honestly hoping he'd eat his breakfast so he would throw up so I would have a reason to send him home. His 2 yo brother is also here with the same cough, but not nearly as bad. Ugh, poor kid, he needs to be home in bed with a humidifier.
Lilbutterflie 06:06 AM 01-06-2011
My illness policy states that I will send home for excessive coughing, though in the two years I've been doing this I have not sent home for coughing alone.

Although, if he is crying and miserable, and not even eating... I would say he is too sick to participate in the daily functions of daycare and that alone is enough reason for me to send home b/c that is also in my contract.

Coughs unfortunately are the "after effect" for colds or flu. They can last a long time. I hate them specifically b/c there isn't much you can do for them besides the humidifier at night, and cough medicine if the doctor approves. My doctor did say that honey has been proven to be even more effective than the leading brands of children's cough syrup. 1 teaspoon of honey (IF they are old enough to be able to eat honey) should do the trick. Unfortunately, both of my kids HATE honey! But maybe you can ask DCM if she would like to try it?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:07 AM 01-06-2011
I personally have been struck hard with coughing viruses this year, it's been aweful! Two of my own kids have had a cough for what seems like over a month and my daycare girl had one a couple months ago that lasted over a month!

I can't really send my daycare kids home for every little thing, especially for a month at a time as this coughing virus seems to hang on FOREVER! However if it were a younger child that is just awefuly miserable, I may give the mom and call..so far that hasn't happened here, but it is in my policy that if they are excessivly cranky due to illness, they will need to go home.
SilverSabre25 06:09 AM 01-06-2011
re: the honey suggestion--when DD had a bad cough a few weeks ago that was keeping her awake at night, I found a "Honey Elixir" by the Little Remedies brand. DD wouldn't take straight honey, but she was willing to take this. It worked like a charm and I never did end up having to medicate her for the cough.
lvt77 10:34 AM 01-06-2011
i hve the same issue all the time...
I make the kids with coughs wash hands frequently...if i see their hands in their mouths or nose I ask them to wash their hands..pretty much washing hands a lot helps spreading the cold to others..

My policy states that consistant6 coughing that is accompanied by another symptom will be sent home.. example constant coughing and runny nose, or too uncomfortable to be here.....

I have a hard time when kids are here with colds, becuase it requires a lot of cleaning more than normal..

also there are homeopathic cough syurps that you can buy at walmart/ traget/ drug store... hylands makes one with 100% honey....but it does not taste like honey..
Tags:cough
Reply Up