Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG Wants To Stay All The Time
Unregistered 01:08 PM 03-18-2011
I love this little girl to death! She has been in my care M-F 8 am to 5 30 pm from the time she was 11 months old until now at age 4. She loves it here! She never wants to go home. She has been here since Sunday evening. We have become great friends with her parents and they came for dinner Sunday night. She spent the night with us Sunday night as I saw no reason for mom to have to drive 30 minutes the next morning to bring her when she was already here. She was here all day on Monday and asked to stay Monday night so I let her. Tuesday and Wednesday she went home and last night she wanted to stay so I let her. We had freezing rain and the roads were going to be brutal in the am so I told mom it was okay if she wanted to stay.

Mom is due to pick little girl up in about 45 minutes and she is asking me if she can stay here again. She is the only little one I had this week besides my own ds7 as I took the week off for March Break. Because she and my ds get along so well I thought it would be good for him to not be alone for the whole time and we did a lot of fun things the weather was great!. She is smart as a whip, very intelligent and bigger than my ds although she is only 4.

She has great parents who obviously spend a LOT of time with her. She is always happy to see them and runs to give them kisses and hugs but then just asks if she can stay one more day.

I am sending her home tonight as it is the weekend and I want some me time before a full week next week with all 7 of my kids. My husband says if she stays one more night we are changing her last name.

I am wondering if any other providers have any of their daycare children who are like this with them?
ninosqueridos 04:26 PM 03-18-2011
um, no. Sure, I have some kids that have their "I don't want to go home" meltdown sometimes, but not to the point where they'd actually want to STAY overnight....not that I'd offer anyway. I just don't see it happening.
laundrymom 04:34 PM 03-18-2011
Yeah, no. I don't want to be working all the time. Crying or happy out they go at 530. Lol. You are Definately better than me. Lol.
SandeeAR 05:07 PM 03-18-2011
I have one little one that we treat as we would a grandchild. Known his Mom for years. I have offered to keep him for her sometime over night, but she hasn't taken me up on it yet. He is still pretty young
BentleysBands 05:23 PM 03-18-2011
Yep! Have 2 but only one stays all the time since he and my DS are bffs. I see nothing wrong with it. If it works and the parent doesn't use it to abuse go for it. I have an Excellent relationship with one of my dcp. We keep business and personal seperate.
momofboys 05:39 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I love this little girl to death! She has been in my care M-F 8 am to 5 30 pm from the time she was 11 months old until now at age 4. She loves it here! She never wants to go home. She has been here since Sunday evening. We have become great friends with her parents and they came for dinner Sunday night. She spent the night with us Sunday night as I saw no reason for mom to have to drive 30 minutes the next morning to bring her when she was already here. She was here all day on Monday and asked to stay Monday night so I let her. Tuesday and Wednesday she went home and last night she wanted to stay so I let her. We had freezing rain and the roads were going to be brutal in the am so I told mom it was okay if she wanted to stay.

Mom is due to pick little girl up in about 45 minutes and she is asking me if she can stay here again. She is the only little one I had this week besides my own ds7 as I took the week off for March Break. Because she and my ds get along so well I thought it would be good for him to not be alone for the whole time and we did a lot of fun things the weather was great!. She is smart as a whip, very intelligent and bigger than my ds although she is only 4.

She has great parents who obviously spend a LOT of time with her. She is always happy to see them and runs to give them kisses and hugs but then just asks if she can stay one more day.

I am sending her home tonight as it is the weekend and I want some me time before a full week next week with all 7 of my kids. My husband says if she stays one more night we are changing her last name.

I am wondering if any other providers have any of their daycare children who are like this with them?

that's great that the DCG loves being there & that you enjoy her. I find it ondd though that the parents whom you say "Spend so much time with her" would allow her to sleep over so much. Do you charge extra for that?
katie 08:56 AM 03-20-2011
Just be careful it doesn't cross the line and become all the time. The problem with mixing daycare and friendship is that the lines can become blurred and you will feel used. It depends on the person and the situation, but I try to keep it seperate. It does sound like you son enjoys it but don't you feel "on" all that time? My dcg loves my girls and they are great together. She is the only one I watch. Because of a car accident my dcg stayed here a couple of times. Since then, there have been a few times that I have her WAY later than I wanted because mom feels it's okay. I love her, but my girls get tired of being "on" too and we want some time alone. So I regret having done it.
DBug 10:59 AM 03-21-2011
Been there, still doing it . I've been watching a girl for the last 3 years and she's now "our fourth child". It started out with a really bad situation and me helping out the mom while she went to school during the day and worked all night. It's progressed to us keeping her for extended periods of time, taking her to family gatherings and on vacations. We love this kid like she's our own. We keep clothes here for her and she has her own bed here as well. All of this has been unpaid, until this week.

Apparently her current babysitter is okay with hitting her and her baby brother, so I agreed to let them start coming her for daycare until they're able to get in to another place closer to home (they live about 30 minutes away). This is the first time we'll be exchanging money, so I'm a little worried about that.

Regardless though, I have gotten alot of flack from the in-laws and from friends that think we're not doing her any favours. I don't know, the way I see it, she's experiencing more stability than she would at home and there's not the potential for abuse from one of "the boyfriends" that seem to cycle through their house. But that's for another post ...

I would say that if her home life is safe and loving, you should probably cut back on letting her stay with you so much. But on the other hand, if you feel like there's something she's gaining from being with you, don't worry about it (as long as the parents aren't taking advantage of you). I think it's also good to consider why exactly she wants to spend so much time at your place. I know in my situation, there are some attachment issues going on. Could there be an underlying reason why she doesn't want to go home?
Tags:staying too long, won't leave
Reply Up