Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help
nikia 04:45 PM 12-01-2010
So I get a text from dcm saying "will u plz not give dcb any juice tomorrow he has the runs he is not sick though i will send extra clothes".

He is one and could be teething but I already had a mom tell me today at pick up that her daughter has strep. Well thanks for telling me after she was here all day. She had only been on one dose of meds when they brought her today. All the daycare kids have colds, but never are running a temp.

My concern is when I tell her not to bring him because it has to be 24 hours what will stop her from covering it up the next time? I am so tired of parents covering sickness up. Do any of you have suggestions on how to stop this or is just something we deal with?

I am seriously thinking about just saying no one comes with any cough, runny nose, blow out poop, nothing I only want healthy kids. I know this is not realistic but come on parents. They are going to be really angry when I close because I get everything they cover up.
Daycare_Mama 05:10 PM 12-01-2010
I think you should text her back and say, "sorry, but he can't come to daycare at all with that kind of symptom" That is sick and can be very contagious if due to a virus. I have a rule of no coming to daycare with diarrhea and I would send them home if they had that at daycare.

We obviously can't stop parents from covering up illness, but you certainly can call them on it and give them a warning that they will be termed if it happens again.
missnikki 05:18 PM 12-01-2010
I would use your discretion on that- if you want, you can let her bring him but tell her you will not hestiate to call for pickup if he is acting 'off' or cranky, and that you expect her to be on your doorstep within ---(period of time) if you call. OR, you could be strict about your sick policy- up to you on that one. It's about this time of year that I like to re-issue a copy of sick policies.
SilverSabre25 05:24 PM 12-01-2010
Well, I would NEVER handle "business" over a text message in the first place, so I would call her back and tell her that diarrhea, no matter the cause, is grounds for exclusion from daycare until he's been symptom-free for 24 hours without meds. I wouldn't even offer a doctor's note exception in this case...diarrhea is messier and more germy and unsanitary than, say, snot.

This depends, of course, on the exact wording of your sick policy.
marniewon 05:32 PM 12-01-2010
To play devil's advocate here for a minute......many children do get the runs if they have too much juice. And some get the runs if they have even a tiny bit of juice. So, it could be that this little guy just had too much juice. However, YOU are the one who will have to clean that nasty mess up, so obviously, no matter what the reason, that is your call.

Personally, if it was a child who I think might have this sensitivity, I would probably take him, and tell mom to be prepared to pick him up.
Crystal 07:24 PM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Well, I would NEVER handle "business" over a text message in the first place, so I would call her back and tell her that diarrhea, no matter the cause, is grounds for exclusion from daycare until he's been symptom-free for 24 hours without meds. I wouldn't even offer a doctor's note exception in this case...diarrhea is messier and more germy and unsanitary than, say, snot.

This depends, of course, on the exact wording of your sick policy.
ITA with this.

And, the Mom who didn't tell you her child had strep until the END of the day???? NO WAY I would let that slide. They TOTALLY put other children at risk. She should have been on meds for a minimum of 24 hours before coming to care, AND she should be taking antibiotics more than once a day, so she should have had her meds at daycare, most likely. Strep is HIGHLY contagious. NOT COOL!!!!!
Abigail 11:18 PM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
To play devil's advocate here for a minute......many children do get the runs if they have too much juice. And some get the runs if they have even a tiny bit of juice. So, it could be that this little guy just had too much juice. However, YOU are the one who will have to clean that nasty mess up, so obviously, no matter what the reason, that is your call.

Personally, if it was a child who I think might have this sensitivity, I would probably take him, and tell mom to be prepared to pick him up.
I agree with Marniewon. It sounds like the mom is honest and wants to explain ahead of time. At least she didn't show up at your door and tell you then or just not tell you at all which is what most parents would do. Base your decision on your previous experience with this family and make sure to take the child's temperature if you think their is a possible fever. If it turns out to be more than just too much juice, make a phone call and the parent should be their within one hour or the time permitted in your current policy. If the child is in diapers, I would recommend you make sure you have them on hand or extras to make it easier so you don't worry about an accident on your furniture and just keep an extra eye on the child to make sure they don't "dig" in their pants and touch things, yuck.
nikia 03:42 AM 12-02-2010
Well I did call the mom to ask more questions like if he is eating ok and so on. I do not have good history with this family so I felt like there was something more. I explained to her that my illness policy clearly states it has to be 24 hours free before they return to daycare. She went into a rant about how she could not call into work she cannot miss anymore. Then went on about how she was not going to pay me because she would have to pay someone else. I again said that she signed a contract stating I am to be paid no matter if her child attends or not. The problem I have is that my husband lost his job over 2 months ago and they know that we need to have all of my income to survive. So I felt as though she was playing a game with me. First telling me she can't miss anymore work and then when that didn't work she went for the route of trying to not pay me. Anyway I told her he is welcome back friday but not tomorrow (today now). If she hadn't said the comment about not missing anymore work I probably would have took him and just called if he had other symptoms but after her comment about work I felt she was lying and it was more than juice. I am sure he will not be back friday but at this point it is probably for the best. My husband has a job interview tomorrow so I am praying he gets the job so if I lose this family we can still pay the bills and then I can also term the family who brought the child with strep.
nikia 04:31 AM 12-02-2010
As I was typing the above reply I had my first dcb that is here in the morning vomit all over my couch while he was sleeping so I am thinking stomach flu is going around and am glad I listened to my gut on the other kid who had the runs. Man if my day starts out with vomit I am sure it will be a great day
momofboys 04:51 AM 12-02-2010
Ughh about the puking DCB! Hope his parents are picking up soon!
marniewon 04:54 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
As I was typing the above reply I had my first dcb that is here in the morning vomit all over my couch while he was sleeping so I am thinking stomach flu is going around and am glad I listened to my gut on the other kid who had the runs. Man if my day starts out with vomit I am sure it will be a great day
It can only go up from here, right? Yuck! Sorry you had to deal with that first thing in the morning .
nikia 04:58 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Ughh about the puking DCB! Hope his parents are picking up soon!
Yes thank goodness were here within 15 mins.
nikia 06:05 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
It can only go up from here, right? Yuck! Sorry you had to deal with that first thing in the morning .
I hope it only goes up from here lol. So far so good no more pukes from other kids and they are all playing nicely so far.
Crystal 06:16 AM 12-02-2010
Nikia....just curious, what did you say to the parents who told you their kid had strep AFTER she was there all day? I know how I would have handled it, but curious what others would say/do and what you did?
nikia 06:27 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Nikia....just curious, what did you say to the parents who told you their kid had strep AFTER she was there all day? I know how I would have handled it, but curious what others would say/do and what you did?
I told her that she needed to be on the meds for 24 hours before returning to care but it was a bit late now since she had been with me all day. She said she didn't know that. I told her I would give her a new copy of the illness policy she signed. She said she didn't need it. She said she was sorry and because I'm a wimp I let it go. Plus my hubby is out of work so I can't weed out yet hoping that changes tomorrow. Would u have termed on the spot? I feel like I should have done this or like I need to write letter stating if it happens again they will be termed. Only thing with the letter is next time they just won't tell me at all I think.
Crystal 06:39 AM 12-02-2010
Yes, Nikia, I would have termed on the spot. But, I get why you didn't, you have to feed your family!

When she said she didn't need a copy of your sick policy, I would have said, well, yes, apparently you do. I would have given it to her then and would have had her sign a statement saying that she now has a copy of it, you have reviewed it with her and any failure to comply would result in termination. Then she cannot say next time that she didn't know. I'd also tell her any time her child is required to see a doctor for illness she is required to bring a note from Dr. stating the illness and when the child may return to care. (that is in my policy book) I would still do this today, since you didn't do it at the time.

She knew....she's lying to you. The dr. would have told her that she can't return AND, if she thought it was okay, she would not have waited to tell you until end of day. I cannot stand being lied to....

Good luck girl, I hope the rest of the kids and your family don't get strep for the holidays....NOT FUN!
MyAngels 06:52 AM 12-02-2010
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute. Before I do, however, I think you absolutely have every right to be upset over this whole situation, and I would be as well.

The comment by the parent about not being able to call in to work makes me wonder if she's not feeling some of the same pressures you and your family are. She may be concerned about losing her job, as well, which might make her do some of the things that she's doing to you, even though she knows better.
Crystal 07:09 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute. Before I do, however, I think you absolutely have every right to be upset over this whole situation, and I would be as well.

The comment by the parent about not being able to call in to work makes me wonder if she's not feeling some of the same pressures you and your family are. She may be concerned about losing her job, as well, which might make her do some of the things that she's doing to you, even though she knows better.
You're probably right. And, I would feel badly for the parent and TRY to accomodate her. I will keep a sick child if I have the ability to do so AND the parent is honest with me about the child being ill. It's a two-way street IMO and we need to help our families out when we are able too, just as we would hope they would for us if we had a family emergency or something.....but they MUST be honest with me or they can hit the road.
nikia 07:36 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

I understand that completely and if the family didn't live with grandma who doesn't work I would have believed her story but she has someone who could have watched him. Although she made have had other obligations I didn't ask. So I do feel bad but I have found the nicer I am the more I get walked on.

You're probably right. And, I would feel badly for the parent and TRY to accomodate her. I will keep a sick child if I have the ability to do so AND the parent is honest with me about the child being ill. It's a two-way street IMO and we need to help our families out when we are able too, just as we would hope they would for us if we had a family emergency or something.....but they MUST be honest with me or they can hit the road.
I was to be flexible and nice but then I parents like the one sending with strep and I feel like I can't believe anyone
nikia 07:45 AM 12-02-2010
Oops want to be not I was. Sorry tying on my phone
MommyMuffin 08:08 AM 12-02-2010
I was just wondering...has the kid been sick a lot..not in daycare a lot? Illness in their family?
Just wondering why mom cant take anymore time...what did she use it on. When I worked outside the home coworkers constantly abused sick leave. I am not saying that she is doing this but I cant help but wonder.

All jobs are different but I had 2 sick days a month available and they rolled over. I know my husband only gets 1 week a year so I know some people have limited days but doesnt she have family who can watch him?

I wouldnt feel bad and just take the kid.
The only person I would ever do that for is my one family who has no close relatives and just moved to town.
Of course I completely understand how you need the income!!! ((Hugs to you!))
nikia 12:06 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I was just wondering...has the kid been sick a lot..not in daycare a lot? Illness in their family?
Just wondering why mom cant take anymore time...what did she use it on. When I worked outside the home coworkers constantly abused sick leave. I am not saying that she is doing this but I cant help but wonder.

All jobs are different but I had 2 sick days a month available and they rolled over. I know my husband only gets 1 week a year so I know some people have limited days but doesnt she have family who can watch him?

I wouldnt feel bad and just take the kid.
The only person I would ever do that for is my one family who has no close relatives and just moved to town.
Of course I completely understand how you need the income!!! ((Hugs to you!))

The child has been here all of the time he was scheduled to be, but on Monday she was 30 mins late for pic up. She called me on her way here and said she took a pain pill and fell asleep. I said oh I thought you were working. Her response was well I left early for a toothache. I have a feeling she does that a lot and leaves him here.
Crystal 12:07 PM 12-02-2010
It's quite common for parents to have no sick time left this time of year.....usually because they used it for themselves.

I have been very fortunate that my families tend to use their sick time for their kids.....even when my parents are sick hey go to work so they can save the sick time for their sick kids.
nannyde 01:09 PM 12-02-2010
I will keep a sick child if I have the ability to do so AND the parent is honest with me about the child being ill.
Not directy to you but for others:

Just keep in mind that your State Regulations may not allow you the option to provide care for children who are ill or contagious. Also, if you are insured your insurance company may not allow this in order to maintain your policy.

For providers that don't have a second person on site or the physical space to segregate and independently care for contagious children this can be nearly impossible. The State may allow the care of moderately ill children BUT the call on whether or not the illness will be moderate if passed to the other children is very difficult to make in the begining of an illness. I'm a RN with 31 years experience and most often I can not tell the gravity of a child's illness at onset.

It's a HUGE liability to care for children who have a high liklihood of contagious illness. What is moderate to one child may end up being deadly to the next child. If you make the call to provide care and one of the other children contracts the illness and has severe or life threatening results it can put an end to your business and your ability to rebuild your business in the future. It only takes ONE mistake... one miscalculation... one underestimation of illness to affect your career in a seriously negative way. Be cautious of offering that because one parent one day states they are unable to provide care for their ill child. That ONE day will seem meaningless to you when you are facing the consequences of a decision that would not be sanctioned by the Doctors and insurers of the OTHER kids.

I think you need to be very experienced and very knowledgeable to knowingly care for children who present symptoms and a high liklihood of contagious illness. You also need the insurance to back up that decision and an okay from your State and/or County Health Department.
MommyMuffin 01:25 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:

It's a HUGE liability to care for children who have a high liklihood of contagious illness. You also need the insurance to back up that decision and an okay from your State and/or County Health Department.
This is good information. I am somewhat of a safety nut. I guess I would rather be safe than sorry. Granted most of the time it could be just too much juice or someother common simple reason for a symptom but you never know and the license information does have rules about symptoms. Thanks for the reminder!
Crystal 01:27 PM 12-02-2010
all true Nannyde.

FTR, I only care for ill children who have minor illness and only if I am able to provide the level of care they need. I am fortunate to have an assistant and the space to do this. AND, it's very rare that a parent has asked me to do so.
nikia 01:29 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Not directy to you but for others:

Just keep in mind that your State Regulations may not allow you the option to provide care for children who are ill or contagious. Also, if you are insured your insurance company may not allow this in order to maintain your policy.

For providers that don't have a second person on site or the physical space to segregate and independently care for contagious children this can be nearly impossible. The State may allow the care of moderately ill children BUT the call on whether or not the illness will be moderate if passed to the other children is very difficult to make in the begining of an illness. I'm a RN with 31 years experience and most often I can not tell the gravity of a child's illness at onset.

It's a HUGE liability to care for children who have a high liklihood of contagious illness. What is moderate to one child may end up being deadly to the next child. If you make the call to provide care and one of the other children contracts the illness and has severe or life threatening results it can put an end to your business and your ability to rebuild your business in the future. It only takes ONE mistake... one miscalculation... one underestimation of illness to affect your career in a seriously negative way. Be cautious of offering that because one parent one day states they are unable to provide care for their ill child. That ONE day will seem meaningless to you when you are facing the consequences of a decision that would not be sanctioned by the Doctors and insurers of the OTHER kids.

I think you need to be very experienced and very knowledgeable to knowingly care for children who present symptoms and a high liklihood of contagious illness. You also need the insurance to back up that decision and an okay from your State and/or County Health Department.

This is very good information, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this. I am now scared to have any sick children but that may be a good thing.
Tags:juice, sick
Reply Up