Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to do on HOT HOT Day
pfund2233 05:41 PM 06-30-2011
Tomorrow I will have two 8yr olds, two 5yr olds and two 2yr olds in my care. It is suppose to be a heat index of 105 tomorrow!! What can I do with them when it is this warm and they will have fun doing it?? Oh and It's age friendly for all! HELP!!!!
sharlan 05:48 PM 06-30-2011
What about water play in the morning, movies and popcorn while the littles are down for their naps?
daycare 05:54 PM 06-30-2011
ditto the water play

we busted out the slip and slide, the little pools and the buckets....talk about more fun than ever. even my two older kids were out enjoying the fun. Of course i was the person who got the most wet.

Great way to have fun with the kids....

Also mine are all about 3 years old with a few 4 year olds....
pfund2233 05:58 PM 06-30-2011
Water play will be fine as long as the humidity isn't too bad. My daughter (one of the 5yr olds) has asthma bad and the humidity along with running and playing could be a bad combo... Darn weather!!!
Sugar Magnolia 06:03 PM 06-30-2011
"The rain will not come, the sun is too sunny, but we can still have some good fun that is funny!" That's the FL version of Cat in the Hat!

We just stay in sometimes, unless its January! Lol! We do indoor dance parties sometimes when the energy levels are running high, otherwise we just do a craft or small reading groups or just give them some extended free play. In FL, its just tooooo hoooooot. Except in January.
jessrlee 08:04 PM 06-30-2011
Fill every big container you have with water and give them cups, bowls, measuring cups, sponges anything that can go in water. It keeps all of our kids busy for hours! They end up soaked, but we just pick up about 20 min before we are ready to go in and they dry out. Push plenty of fluids and ices.

Break out the art supplies and let them collage or paint. My schoolagers would spend all day painting if I let them!
SilverSabre25 09:15 PM 06-30-2011
Unfortunately it's probably too late for this, but for future reference...

Popsicles for morning snack, popsicles for afternoon snack

water play

Toss ice cubes in the pool for extra fun and cooling power!

freeze water bottles for them to drink from

THIS is one of my favorite hot-weather ideas...I can't wait until my "Frozen Stuff" theme in August to bust this one out for my kiddos
daysofelijah 04:42 AM 07-01-2011
Yesterday I filled up the little pool and set on the sprinkler. (We have well water so not on any watering ban.) We did that for a couple hours in the morning and a bit in the pm. Today we are just going to stay in and watch a movie since I only have one family and they will leave right after nap. Hopefully it's cooler next week.

It's 6:30am and it already feels like a sauna out there, yuck!
meganlavonnesmommy 05:13 AM 07-01-2011
My age group is almost the same, 2 year olds and a 5, 6 and 9 year old.
We do lots of water play. But if that isnt an option, then inside ideas...

I save a box full of leftover craft supplies and give them paper and glue to make collages. They love this, and come up with some creative stuff.

Build a fort out of tables, chairs and sheets. I use duct tape to tape the sheets to the chairs so they stay put. they play for hours in these forts.

We have tons of board games for the older kids, and a prize box filled with dollar store toys and candy. We play games for prizes. Everyone gets a prize, but the winners get to pick first.

Homemade charades, write simple things on paper and pull out of a hat, then act it out and everyone guesses "dribble a basketball" "go swimming" "eat spaghetti".

movies and popcorn when the little ones are sleeping.
pfund2233 05:48 AM 07-01-2011
Thanks for all the suggestions!! I think we are gunna do water fun this morn and then lunch (they get to make their own mini pizzas) And then I have some crafts for the big ones while the little ones nap!! Thanks again for all your help!!!
blueclouds29 07:03 AM 07-01-2011
Today is going to be HOT HOT HOT! I have young ones so its hard doing outside when its hot, PLUS the humidity is going to be bad. Thanks for ideas! I think they would love a fort!
Tags:hot weather, what to do
Reply Up