Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tattle Telling.. This Worked!
daycare 11:30 AM 03-12-2012
HI guys, I know a lot of us have a tattle turtle or such, but I found this article and I actually already put it to the test.

Just this morning my 4year old son was telling on everyone for NO reason so I made him sit and draw a picture of what happened as suggested in the article. After having him sit to draw one picture, he decided that it was not wroth missing out on free play time.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_tattling...e-bud_65519.bc
SD DaycareMOM 01:04 PM 03-12-2012
I like that idea. Though I have some that like to draw (and tattle) so I think they might spend ALL day drawing!

I have recently started doing this with my tattlers: as soon as I see that they are telling about someone, I cut them off and ask, "Is someone going to get hurt? Is someone breaking something?" If their answers are "no," then I tell them that they need to just used their words with whomever it is that they are trying to tattle on ("Then go talk to THEM about it."). I then listen (as I busy myself so they don't think that I am just following after them anyway after they tattle) to the conversation that follows between the kids and help only if needed. So far it has worked GREAT and they are really improving their own communication and problem solving skills.
Hunni Bee 03:22 PM 03-12-2012
My kids tattle so much it puts me into a coma.

I think I'm going to try that. The picture thing.
daycare 03:28 PM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
My kids tattle so much it puts me into a coma.

I think I'm going to try that. The picture thing.
lol...MINE TOO.... they are all 4 or on the verge of 4, with the exception of one 20 month old. My ears hurt by the end of the day.

3 kids today had to come out of the play room, sit by me and draw a picture. BOy were they upset about it. Even the ones that love to draw. I think that they were also embarrassed that they were asked infront of all of their peers...

They all just got up from naps so we will see how it goes from now on. BUt so far they have all responded to it in a good way... I am loving it
GretasLittleFriends 05:07 PM 03-12-2012
I do like the drawing idea, I also like the have them talk it out method, unfortunately, for one particular child neither of these would work well. She is nearly 4. If I send her to draw, everyone else will want to follow suit, and that doesn't always work so well. If I send her to talk it out with her friends, she takes on her "I'm the boss" attitude and tone of voice, and is very quick to try to muscle the person she thinks is doing wrong into doing the right (by her opinion) thing. I have found with her, if she comes up to me to tattle on someone, I give her a questionable look and ask her if she is about to tattle. I tell her I don't want to listen to her tattle on her friends. Often times she just keeps talking because, well, that's just who she is.

The rest of the group doesn't tattle much, and if they do, it's usually after they've tried to resolve an issue.
Christian Mother 02:12 PM 03-13-2012
Does anyone see this as a pattern:

No
Why
Tattle

This has been our routine from age 12 and up...hehehe!!

Feel free to add any more into that ratio!!
Tags:tattle tail, tattling
Reply Up