Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First To Arrive And Last To Leave
daycare 02:52 PM 05-02-2012
I have one dck that is my first to arrive and is the last to leave every day. The child is here about .30 to 1 full hour before the next child gets here and then about an hour to 2 full hours after everyone goes home.

Lately every day once everyone goes home all I hear is where is my mommy, daddy, anyone etc. The DCK cries, won't listen to me and just falls apart.

I thought about telling the parents this and asking them if there is anyway that someone could pick up the DCK sooner.. But i am not sure that it is a fair thing to ask or not.

I don't want to make the parents feel bad, even thought I am the one that feels bad for the poor kid that they hve to be here so long every day.

Would you say something and if so how would you say it???
skittles 03:00 PM 05-02-2012
I think we all have at least one of these kidos. I make mine my "special helper." He gets one on one time and I get to clean up for my evening. I have a pretend vacuum he gets to use and a small toy broom ect.. I save it only for him at the end of the day. He will still ask where mom is but he seems happy to be helping.
daycare 03:03 PM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by skittles:
I think we all have at least one of these kidos. I make mine my "special helper." He gets one on one time and I get to clean up for my evening. I have a pretend vacuum he gets to use and a small toy broom ect.. I save it only for him at the end of the day. He will still ask where mom is but he seems happy to be helping.
thats the thing though, this child is very uncooperative and will not listen to me once all of the kids are gone. its like they shut down.

All I hear for an hour or two is where is my Mommy or where is my daddy, I don; tlike you I won't listen to you..blah blah blah....

I don't mind being with this child during this time. I work until 6 and am prepared to stay that late. I just feel horrible that this child has to go through this every day
AnneCordelia 03:24 PM 05-02-2012
I have a child like that too.

Arrives 30min-1hr before everyone else. PIcked up 1.5 hours after everyone else. It's hard; but those are the hours her parents need and there's no way around it short of finding new care (that's a toughie for me, as they are friends and I feel obligation, I know I know that's bad for me and my business but it is what it is).

She also starts falling apart after everyone else leaves. I'm sad for her. I'm also sad for me because it's extremely grating on my nerves at the end of the day to have such an emotional toddler. Look at her funny and it's a melt down. It's stressful.
cheerfuldom 03:59 PM 05-02-2012
I have one here for only 20 extra minutes and those are probably the hardest 20 minutes of the whole day. I dont know what to tell you....I would mention it if you feel that might be receptive to it but they also might just get worried that you cant do your job and keep him happy, and then switch daycares.
daycare 05:11 PM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have one here for only 20 extra minutes and those are probably the hardest 20 minutes of the whole day. I dont know what to tell you....I would mention it if you feel that might be receptive to it but they also might just get worried that you cant do your job and keep him happy, and then switch daycares.
Of course I would never have it come across as complaining, I would let them know that the child is having the hardest time of day when they are the only one here.

they will say My mommy is not coming or my daddy is not coming and then have a massive melt down... It is hard to watch...
LittleD 06:11 PM 05-02-2012
Maybe the child can have a lovey or special toy from home that only comes out after everyone is gone?
Sprouts 10:00 PM 05-02-2012
This probably sounds bad but if the parents agree maybe offer them a special treat like an episode of their favorite educational show?
DaisyMamma 04:18 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
This probably sounds bad but if the parents agree maybe offer them a special treat like an episode of their favorite educational show?
It doesn't sound horrible to me. That's exactly what I would do. I would also let the parents know it is happening.
Reply Up