Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Still Give This Gift To A Parent?
Crazy8 08:59 PM 12-19-2012
I wrote out gift certificates for my families a few days ago - plan to give out on Friday. The amounts vary based on their weekly rates. One part time family is getting a $20 gc - about 15% of their weekly fee. Today she gave me a $20 store gift card as a xmas gift. I kind of feel weird giving the exact same amount now and wondering if I should lower it to $15.

Would you change it or just keep it?

Editing to clarify - I am giving them gift certificates to use on their tuition in the future - not a gift certificate to a store or anything. Its a gift to the family for being with me all year. Not just an adult to adult swap of gift cards. I can't control what they give me as a holiday gift from their children but I certainly don't mind the gift cards. I had this one give me a $20 gift card and another family give me $200 cash and another give me a $5 gift - I really don't mind either way - but I just felt maybe it was strange giving them the same dollar amount they gave me even though I didn't go out and "buy" my gift to them.
DaisyMamma 03:15 AM 12-20-2012
Raise it to $25!
Scout 03:46 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Raise it to $25!
this
Mom&Provider 04:32 AM 12-20-2012
I wouldn't feel weird!? I'd give her the same one you have already written.
EchoMom 04:55 AM 12-20-2012
This is exactly why I hate gift cards, it's just a big cash swap and I personally think it's ridiculous. But I also think it's stupid to buy gifts for adults. If they wanted it, they could have bought it for themselves.

This is totally just my opinion and if others do differently that's totally okay, just saying for me. I don't want to receive presents from anyone or give any to adults. I only buy for kids. Or bake something heartfelt for adult family.
melskids 05:24 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
This is exactly why I hate gift cards, it's just a big cash swap and I personally think it's ridiculous. But I also think it's stupid to buy gifts for adults. If they wanted it, they could have bought it for themselves.

This is totally just my opinion and if others do differently that's totally okay, just saying for me. I don't want to receive presents from anyone or give any to adults. I only buy for kids. Or bake something heartfelt for adult family.
I agree. Our family Christmas turned in to one big gift card swap. A couple of years ago, I finally talked my mom in to just getting for the grandkids and the adults not exchanging anymore. So we have come to a compromise...if we do get for an adult, it's either a small handmade gift, or a baked goodie.
countrymom 05:44 AM 12-20-2012
I don't give to the parents at all, I buy for the kids and thats it.
SilverSabre25 06:15 AM 12-20-2012
I would leave it alone...it's still the thought that counts!!

This sort of dilemma though is why for the daycare I just have the kids make presents/or make presents for parents USING the kids (last year it was hand-print calendars). I give the kids gifts though...which reminds me that I should get those done today because one dcb isn't going to be here tomorrow. Usually i give the kids books, this year I'm giving them a batch of homemade playdough.
williams2008 06:22 AM 12-20-2012
I only give the kids gifts as well.
lovemykidstoo 06:24 AM 12-20-2012
I would just leave it as it is. You have to ask yourself, what if this family didn't get you anything? Woudl you still give them the certificate? It's fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

I get the kids all something and they make a gift for their parents. I don't do any discounts for the families because for the amount that would add up to I can't afford it.
lolaland 06:38 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I don't give to the parents at all, I buy for the kids and thats it.
I do this too.
LK5kids 06:50 AM 12-20-2012
The kids make their parents a gift and I give one to the kids. This can even get expensive. It seems as tho in a way this gift is also from me, as I provided the time to plan, purchase materials, and create it with the kids. That takes plenty of time, energy and $$$. So I guess it counts from me too. I guess I never thought about giving a gift to the parents. Really tho, I love to get the nice little gifts I get from the kids.
littlemissmuffet 07:04 AM 12-20-2012
Reading threads like this make me all the more grateful that my husband and I don't celevrate holidays with gifts!
KEG123 07:15 AM 12-20-2012
I only gift to the kids. >$10. This year it is wooden stamps! I know they'll love them.
Crazy8 07:57 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by EchoMom:

Maybe I wasn't clear - I am giving them a gift certificate to MY home daycare - so they can use it to reduce their tuition one week in the future. Its a gift to the family to show my appreciation for their business all year.
Crazy8 08:01 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Raise it to $25!
LOL, I did think of that!!!
WImom 11:50 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
I agree. Our family Christmas turned in to one big gift card swap. A couple of years ago, I finally talked my mom in to just getting for the grandkids and the adults not exchanging anymore. So we have come to a compromise...if we do get for an adult, it's either a small handmade gift, or a baked goodie.
THis is what we do too in my family and it's so much easier. Sometimes we will do a white elephant exchange as well.
Kaddidle Care 03:56 AM 12-21-2012
Keep it the same. It's what you're giving everyone right? Don't change one or you'll get the guilties and end up changing them all.

Keeping it even is great! You shouldn't have to one-up a gift!

I'm sure our parents would love a $20.00 tuition reduction like that. They are getting salt dough ornaments!
Reply Up