Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Local Infants Passed Away
BumbleBee 04:29 AM 12-13-2013
A 6 week old and a 5 month old. 2 families are shattered. Please say a prayer for them as they grieve their babies.

The 6 week old passed away at home in his sleep.

The 5 month old passed away at daycare, during a nap.

I don't know details but do know an investigation by the state licensing agent is being done at the daycare (standard procedure).

Please say a prayer for the families & provider. Everybody is devastated.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:35 AM 12-13-2013
Prayers!!
Great Beginnings 04:41 AM 12-13-2013
So sad
Meyou 04:42 AM 12-13-2013
Just horrible. My cousin lost her niece this summer in a similar way.
GoodKarma 05:22 AM 12-13-2013
How devastating
Maria2013 05:57 AM 12-13-2013
I can't find articles on recent death and daycare, other that the couple that were posted on here weeks ago, where did you hear about this?
BumbleBee 06:43 AM 12-13-2013
One family the mother is a teacher at the local elementary school & the provider is an acquaintance (local trainings) of mine. The other family have used various services through church outreach programs in the area-I volunteer once a week to help at the outreach programs.

The 5 month old's obituary is not in the paper but on the funeral home website. I have not seen the 6 week old's obituary yet, but do not know what funeral home is being used.

I have not seen anything in the paper or on the news yet though licensing investigations take 1-2 weeks. The provider is shut down for 2 weeks while they investigate. Both children passed this past Tuesday. If I see anything I will post a link.

I do not know what the circumstances are other then what I have posted. I refuse to post gossip until it has been verified. I can verify the 6 week old passed away at home on Tuesday. I can verify the 5 month old passed away at a specific daycare while he was sleeping on Tuesday. I can verify the provider has been operating for 15 years, licensed, with minimal dings on her record (none of them supervision related. Things relating to paperwork (parent wrote "N/A" instead "none" in a space. A child in the home had recently turned 16 and had not had a TB test yet. Etc.) I can not verify if safe sleep practices were used in either case. If either infant had a head injury or was in distress before passing on.

When licensing finishes their investigation, report, and makes it publicly available I will post a link. Likewise, if the news picks up the story, I will link to it. Otherwise I will keep these families in my prayers. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the deaths, 2 families are grieving and for that, I will pray.
Soccermom 06:51 AM 12-13-2013
Oh my goodness, how sad!! And so close to the Holidays too.

These families will certainly be in our prayers this evening.
Scout 06:52 AM 12-13-2013
This breaks my heart.
mema 07:35 AM 12-13-2013
How sad. Prayers to family and friends of the little ones.
Babyluver2 07:39 AM 12-13-2013
How very very sad. Many prayers to both families.
Maria2013 09:30 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:

When licensing finishes their investigation, report, and makes it publicly available I will post a link.
Thank you!
I can't even imagine what those families are going through
Josiegirl 10:42 AM 12-13-2013
Two families' lives are changed forever, their baby's imprint left on their hearts. So so sad.
melilley 11:03 AM 12-13-2013
I've been thinking about this all day. I will be thinking of these families.
Maria2013 11:22 AM 12-13-2013
it really makes me question if I should continue to care for infants
melilley 11:27 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
it really makes me question if I should continue to care for infants
I was JUST thinking the same thing. I have an opening to fill and if it's not filled by Jan, I can take an infant, but not sure if I want to or not. I love having babies, but...
Maria2013 11:41 AM 12-13-2013
do you think that the number of infant's death at daycare has gone up?
Blackcat31 12:09 PM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
Oh my goodness, how sad!! And so close to the Holidays too.

These families will certainly be in our prayers this evening.
Last Thursday in my community, the 6th grade boys basketball team was playing a nearby town/middle school team and one of our 12 yr old players collapsed and died in the middle of the game.

They haven't stated a reason yet but so far reports are that he was in good health and had no underlying issues they were aware of.

I know he wasn't an infant but he is still someone's baby and my first thought was also "so close to the holidays" too.

Saying a prayer for anyone who has lost a loved one recently
KidGrind 05:54 AM 12-15-2013
A dear associate of mine a few years back experienced a death in her daycare. She was investigated and the autopsy determined cause of death was SIDS. It was a newborn who had only been in her care 2 weeks.

The DCM was devastated and accusatory. The provider was devastated. After the 3 month investigation was closed and she was cleared, she reopened. She only lasted 2 months. She was too uncomfortable with caring for others’ children. She ended up leaving her husband & kids.

Extremely sad…..
Angelsj 07:39 AM 12-15-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
do you think that the number of infant's death at daycare has gone up?
Infants die. Sometimes we don't know why. More infants are at daycare, so yes they are going to die at daycare. I think, overall, however, we are seeing less dying of SIDS as we are learning to use safer concepts, so I don't think there are more dying altogether.
I also believe most DCP provide safer sleep than parents so I don't think there are more deaths at daycare than there used to be, probably less. We just hear about the daycare ones, and very little about parent ones.
Reply Up