Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Whose Job Is It Anyway?
thetoddlerwhisper 07:47 AM 12-13-2013
dcm of dcb 2 brought him in this morning. after asking hows hes feeling meds etc(hes been out two days sick). i got a "by the way i think you need to teach the other kids to cough into their arms.we cant get n to do it at home but i really think you should be teaching them that." i hate when parents tell me how to do my job. if you cant get your child to do it how do you expect me to get 5 other children to do it? not like i dont mention 10 bazillion times a day.........
thetoddlerwhisper 07:49 AM 12-13-2013
we spend most of our nonsick season pretending to cough and sneeze into our arms but when they get sick it goes out the window.....
sharlan 07:51 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by athacker:
dcm of dcb 2 brought him in this morning. after asking hows hes feeling meds etc(hes been out two days sick). i got a "by the way i think you need to teach the other kids to cough into their arms.we cant get n to do it at home but i really think you should be teaching them that." i hate when parents tell me how to do my job. if you cant get your child to do it how do you expect me to get 5 other children to do it? not like i dont mention 10 bazillion times a day.........
And how is that YOUR problem to solve?
thetoddlerwhisper 07:53 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
And how is that YOUR problem to solve?
exactly.
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by athacker:
When I hear that or something similar my standard reply is "Mom/dad, YOU are the child's primary and most important teacher. My role is to support the things YOU are teaching him/her to do."

Depending on my relationship with the parent and/or the mood of the conversation as well as how it was said to me, I will add a laugh or a joke of some sort to soften the message. But either way the point is the same.

YOU (that parent) teach your child basics and I support that process.
butterfly 08:23 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When I hear that or something similar my standard reply is "Mom/dad, YOU are the child's primary and most important teacher. My role is to support the things YOU are teaching him/her to do."

Depending on my relationship with the parent and/or the mood of the conversation as well as how it was said to me, I will add a laugh or a joke of some sort to soften the message. But either way the point is the same.

YOU (that parent) teach your child basics and I support that process.
That'a a really great theory , but we all know that with today's parenting if we want them to learn a particular skill it will be us that is teaching it to them and the parents will be "supporting the process" at home.
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
That'a a really great theory , but we all know that with today's parenting if we want them to learn a particular skill it will be us that is teaching it to them and the parents will be "supporting the process" at home.
It is only a theory if you let it be.

I am REALLY forward about this practice and enforce it.

If a child needs to learn a specific skill, I discuss it with the parent and then provide resources for them (so they know how and why) and then track the child's progress.

It is SUPER easy to tell if a parent is or isn't doing what they say they are doing.

The LESS I take on or consider MY responsibility, the less stress I have and the MORE enjoyable MY experiences daily are with the kids.
Great Beginnings 09:00 AM 12-13-2013
OMG! Such audacity

I would have probably said. "Ya, we'll get right on that" and laugh like she was telling a joke!
cheerfuldom 10:27 AM 12-13-2013
rude.

I agree with BC. i only support, I am not the primary anything for the child. I dont start the potty training process here, I dont transition to beds here, all that is done at home first.
Unregistered 01:49 PM 12-17-2013
While I agree that the parent is the primary guardian, I do not agree that I am my child's primary caregiver. The majority of my son's awake hours are spent at his daycare, not with me. Having said that, I would not presume to give my daycare provider's the instructions the parent in this case did. That was unnecessary and certainly uncalled for.
Blackcat31 02:18 PM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
While I agree that the parent is the primary guardian, I do not agree that I am my child's primary caregiver. The majority of my son's awake hours are spent at his daycare, not with me. Having said that, I would not presume to give my daycare provider's the instructions the parent in this case did. That was unnecessary and certainly uncalled for.
You may not be the child's primary caregiver but regardless of how much or little time your child spends in daycare, you are still your child's primary teacher.

What YOU teach your child will always override what anyone else teaches your child.

Parents are THE biggest influence and role models a child can have.
BrooklynM 02:36 PM 12-17-2013
Although, we may be the primary caregiver, as we are with the kids the majority of awake hours, ultimately, it is the parents responsibility to teach their kids what is important to them. A better way that the parent could go about this would be to say something like, Jimmy (DCB), show Miss Mary how we cough into our arm! And Miss Mary can say something like- Great job Jimmy! Thank you for coughing into your arm, germs are not for sharing!

It's all about proper communication. The parents shouldn't dictate what you teach all of the children, instead it is perfectly fine to say, "we've been working on this at home", etc. The same way I let parents know what we are working on so they can practice at home.
itlw8 04:33 PM 12-17-2013
I think I would have said you are right I just do not understand parents that can not teach their children how to cough into their elbow. And I can't seem to get the adults to wash their hands when they enter the childcare either. Most of the germs come from adults who do not wash hands or work with people who do not wash hands.
Reply Up