Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rate Fee Based On Departure!
mountainside13 12:09 PM 01-24-2014
So I am changing how I do my rates and I found Nan's departure fee scale which I am going to do. My question is I have parents who have different pick up times which changes weekly and different times on different days. Should I just do a daily rate then based on pick up times?
Thanks!
TwinKristi 12:13 PM 01-24-2014
I don't know that that method would work for you, seems like it would only make it more work on your end calculating their fees!
Eta- I just do a flat daily rate for less than 4hrs or more than 4hrs. Never had anyone stay less than 4hrs though except my SA which is at an hourly rate. I also work based on their hours of need, not a standard open/close time.
Great Beginnings 12:20 PM 01-24-2014
Probably the only thing you could do was charge them on the latest possible pick up time. Otherwise you will be changing and calculating rates all week. Your more likely to get frustrated, annoy parents when one week is higher, and possibly miscalculate and short yourself.
mountainside13 12:36 PM 01-24-2014
I see what you mean about it being more work and the high possibility of making mistakes! Lol! What do you think about hours after 5pm is an extra $x every 15 or 30 minutes. That math would be a lot easier! Do you see any cons in that?
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 01-24-2014
Do they pay you weekly or bi-weekly or monthly?

I use the graduated rate scale and have several families that have varying schedules.
mountainside13 01:09 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do they pay you weekly or bi-weekly or monthly?

I use the graduated rate scale and have several families that have varying schedules.
I have 1 family pay me monthly, 2 parents (1 child) pay me bi weekly then everyone else weekly.
TwinKristi 01:15 PM 01-24-2014
I think that's a much better idea. You will be closing at 5:30pm after Feb 1, 2014 (or whatever you decide) but will be willing to honor your current clients arrangements at $x per half hour, on a tiered scale. The concept is to have people "want" to come earlier to save money however that is, rearranging their work schedule, having a family member pick up, etc. But you may risk losing these families if you make it impossible for them to pay your rates or pick up earlier. Like you know one family works late and this will cost them and extra $15/day and they find someone who will work their schedule for a lesser price. KWIM? My provider closed at 5pm at a certain point but knew I worked until 5pm as well and if my boss wouldn't let me leave at 4:45 every day I was screwed. She made an exception that if dh was off early and could drive down (30 mins away, daycare was close to my work) that he would but otherwise she would give me until 5:15. I came directly from work, every day. When providers make policy changes like this for a couple problematic families it's hard for the others that do obey the rules and if you've previously agreed to a schedule it would only be right to extend that to them or anticipate they may leave.
Blackcat31 01:31 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
I have 1 family pay me monthly, 2 parents (1 child) pay me bi weekly then everyone else weekly.
I have families submit their schedules for the upcoming week WITH payment for that time period.

So if one week, they need care until 5:00, their fee for that week would reflect that charge.

The next week that they need different pick up times, have them submit a new schedule for that week and charge according to the latest pick up time.

It can be a pain that way but it was the only way I could figure out how to work it fairly for families who do have varying schedules but were still full time.

I am not nearly as flexible with the part timers for obvious reasons. I don't figure the rate for ONE day but rather for the latest pick up time for that week. Hope that makes sense.....
mountainside13 01:33 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I think that's a much better idea. You will be closing at 5:30pm after Feb 1, 2014 (or whatever you decide) but will be willing to honor your current clients arrangements at $x per half hour, on a tiered scale. The concept is to have people "want" to come earlier to save money however that is, rearranging their work schedule, having a family member pick up, etc. But you may risk losing these families if you make it impossible for them to pay your rates or pick up earlier. Like you know one family works late and this will cost them and extra $15/day and they find someone who will work their schedule for a lesser price. KWIM? My provider closed at 5pm at a certain point but knew I worked until 5pm as well and if my boss wouldn't let me leave at 4:45 every day I was screwed. She made an exception that if dh was off early and could drive down (30 mins away, daycare was close to my work) that he would but otherwise she would give me until 5:15. I came directly from work, every day. When providers make policy changes like this for a couple problematic families it's hard for the others that do obey the rules and if you've previously agreed to a schedule it would only be right to extend that to them or anticipate they may leave.
I was trying to figure away around that. Because I want it to be for new families but also incorporate it into the current families but not change there weekly rate for their current time. Example is dad picks up at 4:15 but next week mom needs to pick up at 5 for Monday and Tuesday. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be lol!!
mountainside13 01:35 PM 01-24-2014
I have families submit their schedules for the upcoming week WITH payment for that time period.

So if one week, they need care until 5:00, their fee for that week would reflect that charge.

The next week that they need different pick up times, have them submit a new schedule for that week and charge according to the latest pick up time.

It can be a pain that way but it was the only way I could figure out how to work it fairly for families who do have varying schedules but were still full time.

I am not nearly as flexible with the part timers for obvious reasons. I don't figure the rate for ONE day but rather for the latest pick up time for that week. Hope that makes sense.....
That makes a lot of sense! Do you do increments of 15 or 30 minutes? How much of an increase?
TwinKristi 02:07 PM 01-24-2014
I was trying to figure away around that. Because I want it to be for new families but also incorporate it into the current families but not change there weekly rate for their current time. Example is dad picks up at 4:15 but next week mom needs to pick up at 5 for Monday and Tuesday. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be lol!!
What's the latest pick up time you have right now and what are their arrangements? Like BC said, you can always charge for the planned time up front and they can change it on a weekly basis with the extras paid at the change of time.

The problem I would have with it, which some providers just wouldn't tolerate, is that I'm working with a mom and grandparent and their independent schedules. LOL it would be way too much work for me to calculate and work the changes. Charging my flat rate just works best for me because if they only come for 6 hours even though they contracted for 8 I don't discount the rate and owe them. I feel now I probably get more money for less time.
mountainside13 02:32 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
What's the latest pick up time you have right now and what are their arrangements? Like BC said, you can always charge for the planned time up front and they can change it on a weekly basis with the extras paid at the change of time.

The problem I would have with it, which some providers just wouldn't tolerate, is that I'm working with a mom and grandparent and their independent schedules. LOL it would be way too much work for me to calculate and work the changes. Charging my flat rate just works best for me because if they only come for 6 hours even though they contracted for 8 I don't discount the rate and owe them. I feel now I probably get more money for less time.
Great news! One of my dad's just told me a few minutes ago that his schedule changed and he will be picking up at 4:10 every day that's over an hour earlier! it is prefect timing!!! So now my only child past 4:25 is the child that I am terminating today. So 4:25 is my latest now.
Blackcat31 03:03 PM 01-24-2014
That makes a lot of sense! Do you do increments of 15 or 30 minutes? How much of an increase?
Each 30 minute increment is billed at $2.50

Any additional time used that was not scheduled in advance is considered late and billed at $1 per minute.
mountainside13 04:56 PM 01-24-2014
Each 30 minute increment is billed at $2.50

Any additional time used that was not scheduled in advance is considered late and billed at $1 per minute.
Thank you!
Reply Up