Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>favorite summer outing
sharlan 10:22 AM 08-04-2014
What has been your favorite summer outing with the kids?

So far, we've gone to Raging Waters 7 times, the beach 3 times, Knott's Berry Farm, Aquarium of the Pacific, out to lunch at restaurants 3 times, the park 3 times, and whale watching.

My absolute favorite was whale watching. We had a NatGeo worthy trip. First, we got into the middle of a large pod of dolphins, at least a 1,000 strong. When we got near the pod, the captain told everyone to wait a few minutes then cheer and shout. They dolphins all turned and headed towards the boat. It was really neat. They were right up against the boat and we even saw tiny babies.

We spotted a blue whale spout, but it was aways out. We also saw a minke whale.

The best was a mom and baby humpback whale. We watched them for awhile, then some jet skiers came up close so the captain left the area for a bit so they would leave. When we went back near the humpbacks, the captain turned the boat off and just let it drift. The mommy and baby came up near the boat and really put on a show for us. They got within 30 feet of the boat. The mommy would lift her head straight up out of the water so we got to see her eyes and mouth. Then she would dive down so we could see her tail and she would wave it before splashing the water a bit. The best was they were both playing with a big piece of seaweed, throwing it up in the air so it would land on their backs.

All but one of my kids were right up against the railing so they got to see it all. What is sad though, is I don't think they really realize that what they saw was unusual. It was something they may never see again.
DaveA 11:14 AM 08-04-2014
WOW- You've rocked the summer! Sorry but whale watching is a definite NO for me. My one phobia is boats, especially big boats made out of metal. Still pretty cool.

My own kids: did a color run 5K with me, wife, and my 3 kids and my oldest's fiancé. We had a blast.

Daycare: it's coming up. End of summer daycare zoo trip. Springfield zoo isn't big, but everything is close, it's next to a park, and is something everyone looks forward to.
sharlan 11:38 AM 08-04-2014
Unless a cold front comes in, there won't be a zoo trip for us this summer. I can't handle the LA Zoo with heat and humidity.
Michelle 01:53 PM 08-04-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Unless a cold front comes in, there won't be a zoo trip for us this summer. I can't handle the LA Zoo with heat and humidity.
and the bees!!!
Meeko 06:39 PM 08-04-2014
You're brave girl!

I have 16 DCK's. Going to a water park would be like scheduling at least one drowning with my crew! We have a water park close to us, which my daughters have season passes to......but it's always packed out.
sharlan 08:55 PM 08-04-2014
I only have 6 kids and I have at least 1 or 2 helpers, sometimes more depending on where we go. I only go to the local parks alone.

At RW, I generally have my 18 yo granddaughter who goes on the slides with the older kids. One of my former dck (14) likes to go and she helps with the 3 littles or my grandsons.

When we went whale watching, I had the 6 kids and 7 adults. Every child had their own adult.

I forgot, we've also gone to the movies 7 times.

I've pounded routine, routine, routine into my kids for 30 years. I always sit at the same spot at the beach, RW, and the movies. That way IF anyone gets lost, they know exactly where to go. I haven't lost a child in about 25 years, though. It's rough when somebody new goes somewhere with us. They try to do things their way and the kids revolt, telling them no, that's not how we do it.

My 24 yo "borrowed grandson" (former dck) can still tell you exactly where we sit at the beach and RW, where we go to eat lunch and what the lunch will be and he hasn't gone anywhere with us for about 9 years.
SignMeUp 09:05 PM 08-04-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I only have 6 kids and I have at least 1 or 2 helpers, sometimes more depending on where we go. I only go to the local parks alone.

At RW, I generally have my 18 yo granddaughter who goes on the slides with the older kids. One of my former dck (14) likes to go and she helps with the 3 littles or my grandsons.

When we went whale watching, I had the 6 kids and 7 adults. Every child had their own adult.

I forgot, we've also gone to the movies 7 times.

I've pounded routine, routine, routine into my kids for 30 years. I always sit at the same spot at the beach, RW, and the movies. That way IF anyone gets lost, they know exactly where to go. I haven't lost a child in about 25 years, though. It's rough when somebody new goes somewhere with us. They try to do things their way and the kids revolt, telling them no, that's not how we do it.

My 24 yo "borrowed grandson" (former dck) can still tell you exactly where we sit at the beach and RW, where we go to eat lunch and what the lunch will be and he hasn't gone anywhere with us for about 9 years.
Smart and sounds like so much fun. Years ago, I would take my group of twelve on the city bus to the zoo, downtown for Christmas windows, to the children's theater, and to the creek to swim. But a lot of my preschool spaces were filled with SA who grew up here, and they were very dependable at helping with the little ones.
Now, our best summer fun is setting up a bunch of wading pools in the yard But we do love it, and we do different activities every day in the water. Most of my kids learn to swim in my largest pool, and nearly every one learns to be comfortable moving in the water.
Sigh. I know it doesn't compare to whale watching. But that would require wings, for us
sharlan 06:02 PM 08-12-2014
https://www.facebook.com/captainlarr...ures?ref=br_tf

Check his status for Aug 5th. That's the outing we were on.

Our summer is officially over and I am quite sad about it. My grandkids start back to school on Monday and I have a new infant starting that day.

We do have 3 outings scheduled for the LA Fair in Sept though. The littles love the animals.
Reply Up