Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I hate meals
Unregistered 03:31 PM 07-26-2015
Hi everyone. I recently opened and due to school being out, I've gotten some older children. 1 is five and the other is 6 but looks much older. These two often come late and the parents demand I feed them breakfast. I'm not talking like a minute or two. The one little girl will come at like 11:30 and the father expects me to feed her breakfast. I find it really weird she hasn't eat yet. He will do this and then expect her to eat a really big lunch he packed. This more with the older child, but sometimes with the five year old, I get foods I have to prepare. Not like microwave. Like I'll have to wash fruits and cut them. For example, they will send me bottles in large and/or glass containers. I'm just very used to the younger ones coming in with ready made foods. I know better than to complain both are going back to school, but just wondering if anyone else hates meals?
LysesKids 03:39 PM 07-26-2015
Do you have set mealtimes? If not get some in place NOW... state to the families that if their child arrives after a mealtime that they must have already fed their child or they will have to wait until the next scheduled snack/meal. Also, I would send out a notice to all families stating that all lunches must come already prepared that you do not have time to cut up, microwave or whatever 4-6 different lunches each day (you are not a restaurant). BTW, why are they sending packed food, don't you provide meals for your kids? I know where I live we all provide meals (any extra meals are tax deductible for whatever the food program doesn't reimburse). saves hassle of kids fighting over someone else food too
Unregistered 03:47 PM 07-26-2015
It's just easier due to having different ages and every parent claiming their child has an allergy. I say claim because they will the child isn't allowed an item, but will pack it some time later. Like I forgot? LOL I usually have a set time, but due to these children coming late, they usually eat after nap.
Thriftylady 04:13 PM 07-26-2015
Make a handbook and a contract. And stick by them. Address allergies in them, say you need doctors documentation and detailed instructions. You DO NOT have to serve meals when parents say. This is your business, you run it and parents can follow your policies.
Febby 04:31 PM 07-26-2015
I would also require documentation and instruction for children with allergies. Especially for severe ones or ones that could affect activities outside of meal times. For example, a child with a wheat allergy may not be able to play with play-doh.

And get strict about your meal times! Tell parents that if they want their child to eat breakfast they must arrive before X. Same for all your other meals/snacks.
Josiegirl 04:42 PM 07-26-2015
I completely agree with all who said it's YOUR business and you can run it the way you want/need to. If you're trying to cater to 5 different eating schedules or all individual schedules throughout your day, you will burn out so fast, plus your whole day will be spent catering to each family's needs and wants, then your group as a whole will lose out. Those older dcks have set schedules in school, they need to have them at your home too. Do what works for YOU!! There's no reason why, if that child isn't coming til 11:30, they shouldn't have been fed breakfast hours ago.
Play Care 06:00 AM 07-27-2015
I have a 4 yo girl who comes in late this summer (mom's a teacher and just looking to keep her on schedule)

She tells me when she comes in at 9:30 "I had breakfast but I'm still hungry" And I tell her, "well lunch is at 11:30 so you'll have a good appetite for it!"

That said, I wouldn't accept a child into care late if they hadn't already eaten breakfast. In my case I know she's eaten, but her parents have allowed her to develop the bad habit of picking at food all day long so she never eats when it's time (nor does she know when she is really hungry because she's always picking). Not my issue. But if she was dropped off after meal and I asked point blank if she had eaten and they said no, I would not allow her into care until they had gotten her breakfast.
Thriftylady 06:21 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have a 4 yo girl who comes in late this summer (mom's a teacher and just looking to keep her on schedule)

She tells me when she comes in at 9:30 "I had breakfast but I'm still hungry" And I tell her, "well lunch is at 11:30 so you'll have a good appetite for it!"

That said, I wouldn't accept a child into care late if they hadn't already eaten breakfast. In my case I know she's eaten, but her parents have allowed her to develop the bad habit of picking at food all day long so she never eats when it's time (nor does she know when she is really hungry because she's always picking). Not my issue. But if she was dropped off after meal and I asked point blank if she had eaten and they said no, I would not allow her into care until they had gotten her breakfast.
This is what I do with breakfast. You are either here by 8AM or you eat at home. We don't eat again until lunch. If parent comes and 8:30 and says "she hasn't eaten yet", I say "take her home and feed her you can bring her back after she eats".
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi everyone. I recently opened and due to school being out, I've gotten some older children. 1 is five and the other is 6 but looks much older. These two often come late and the parents demand I feed them breakfast. I'm not talking like a minute or two. The one little girl will come at like 11:30 and the father expects me to feed her breakfast. I find it really weird she hasn't eat yet. He will do this and then expect her to eat a really big lunch he packed. This more with the older child, but sometimes with the five year old, I get foods I have to prepare. Not like microwave. Like I'll have to wash fruits and cut them. For example, they will send me bottles in large and/or glass containers. I'm just very used to the younger ones coming in with ready made foods. I know better than to complain both are going back to school, but just wondering if anyone else hates meals?
Do you have a meal routine? Set snack/meal times?

If so, weren't these things discussed during the interview?

What are your policies in regards to meals/snacks, as well as arrival times?

Do you generally listen to the parents and run your program on their time as far as meal/snack times and arrival times are concerned?

If you are your own boss and have your own rules/policies in regards to this, I would start running the show and take charge of YOUR business.

Unless you work FOR that family, it's YOUR business....stop letting them run the show.
midaycare 08:20 AM 07-27-2015
Oh you poor thing. That sounds horrific. You definitely need some firm policies in place. And oddly enough, parents respect you more when you have them. The more detailed you are, the better clientele you will get, too. At least ime.
crazydaycarelady 08:33 AM 07-27-2015
YES! I am so over making meals! I am envious of centers where they have a cook and the food just arrives to the classrooms. Sometimes I just want to toss a loaf of bread into the room and yell "LUNCH!"

Then when I finally get off my family is waiting for their dinner!
Play Care 09:29 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Sometimes I just want to toss a loaf of bread into the room and yell "LUNCH!"
ROTFLMAO.

Best line of the day.
mamamanda 10:13 AM 07-27-2015
YES! I am so over making meals! I am envious of centers where they have a cook and the food just arrives to the classrooms. Sometimes I just want to toss a loaf of bread into the room and yell "LUNCH!"

Love it!!!
Unregistered 09:06 PM 07-30-2015

LOL I would love to do that. I have a feeling that's how their parents feed them. I lucked out. My son isn't a super picky eater and once he reached a certain age, he started eating when we ate. This is totally new to me.

Like I said, with my regulars it isn't bad. With these school agers, the parents are really out of line. Next summer I won't take any school aged. Too many bad habits formed. Another example is they will tell me they want more of their food or something. I tell the parents and week after week it's the same amount and the same food. We're a heat wave and one parent hasn't brought any water. When I asked nicely if they forgot their bottle. I was told "It's ok. I see you have a water cooler".
childcaremom 02:43 AM 07-31-2015

Reply Up