Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Funds Are Not Currently Available....
Thriftylady 08:44 AM 08-31-2015
So new DCM has been here two weeks. First check I called about and put in my account no issues. Today I call to verify her check before I put it in my account and the computer says "funds are not currently available in that amount". Now what?
Second Home 08:53 AM 08-31-2015
I tell them the check did not clear and I need cash along with the nsf fee of $20.00 . After 2 returned checks only cash is accepted.

I usually send a text that way they know before they pick up/drop off and can have time to get the cash.
Unregistered 08:56 AM 08-31-2015
if you are sure that there are no funds/insuficent funds in her account call her and ask her to bring cash at pick up or next time she brings her child, if she doesn't bring it then child can't come back until payment is made.
Thriftylady 08:59 AM 08-31-2015
Well right now I don't have an nsf fees, since I haven't taken it to my bank, I just called to verify. But I did text her, she says she is going to call the bank. I hate these situations.
Play Care 09:03 AM 08-31-2015
I think it's smart to call and verify before anything bounces! She still should owe any late fees and pay in cash. Just because you were smart doesn't mean she should off the hook!
Blackcat31 09:03 AM 08-31-2015
Is this payment for services already provided or upcoming services?
Thriftylady 09:14 AM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is this payment for services already provided or upcoming services?
They are my two overnight kiddos, and she paid last night for two weeks starting last night. They won't be here tonight, she is a nurse so she is off tonight. She just sent me this text back.

"My check hasn't been deposited yet I called payroll at work to find out why she's out to lunch now either way someone's giving my my check".

Yeah, kinda how I feel. Her last check (the first one two weeks ago) was fine when I called and went right through. Normally I require weekly payment in advance but she wanted to do every two weeks because she gets paid that way. Fine with me, as long as it actually goes through and is still in advance.
Unregistered 11:20 AM 08-31-2015
I use to have this happen with my Landlord. I would write him a check and the money was not in my checking it was in my savings. I have overdraft protection if it is not in the checking it would pull it from the savings and then from the credit card. Anyhow he would always call me telling me that I did not have the funds. I just hadn't gotten around to balancing my bills for the month. It was every month. I had to change the way I paid my bills. But maybe they have the overdraft protection set up so they thing they are covered.
Annalee 11:23 AM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I use to have this happen with my Landlord. I would write him a check and the money was not in my checking it was in my savings. I have overdraft protection if it is not in the checking it would pull it from the savings and then from the credit card. Anyhow he would always call me telling me that I did not have the funds. I just hadn't gotten around to balancing my bills for the month. It was every month. I had to change the way I paid my bills. But maybe they have the overdraft protection set up so they thing they are covered.
Banks here have overdraft protection as well. This could be the issue and the funds are there afterall.
Thriftylady 12:10 PM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have no way of knowing. I did go to town and go to her bank and cash it and they cashed it, but I shouldn't have to do that. I am not about to put it in my bank and have my bank then charge me the crazy fees they charge if I put in someone else's check and it doesn't clear.
jenboo 12:51 PM 08-31-2015
I wouldn't take the time to check funds first... I didn't even know you could do that. I would just deposit the check like normal.

I would charge her a fee for a bounced check and require cash. The kids can't come back until you have the full payment and fee in hand.
daycare 12:55 PM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I wouldn't take the time to check funds first... I didn't even know you could do that. I would just deposit the check like normal.

I would charge her a fee for a bounced check and require cash. The kids can't come back until you have the full payment and fee in hand.
I have called on a few parents in the past, only to realize that it was just going to start a delayed issue with them.

i just stuck to my policies deposited the check as normal and if it bounced they paid late fee, bounce check fee and can't return until paid in full. I also required cash after one bounced check.

no point in being the middle man of a he said she said issue. just do what your normally do and go from there.
Thriftylady 01:51 PM 08-31-2015
Well I did take it to her bank and cash it. She called me a bit ago and said that work said it would be in her account by midnight and offered to come over and take care of it tomorrow. I told her no biggie I would deal with it. Just didn't tell her I already had. If I have another issue I won't be taking any more checks from her for sure. I hope I didn't overdraft her, but by the same token, I need paid also. She was already late paying, all payments are due on Friday and I let her slide until Sunday. I hope things go up from here not downhill.
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 08-31-2015
Dear DCM

To avoid any further issues regarding payment please verify with both your employer and your bank that funds are available before issuing a check to cover child care services.

As of today, August 28, 2015 there will be an additional charge for any actions needed to cash/deposit a personal check outside of depositing the check once.

If further issues arise due to personal checks being issued, cash will be the only form of payment accepted. Please understand that I too, have financial obligations and expect my paycheck to be on time, every time.

If you have any questions, please let me know

Provider
AmyKidsCo 07:33 PM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:

Ditto - I didn't know you could do that. Our CU will tell us if funds aren't available, but I didn't know you could call and ask. Good to know...
crazydaycarelady 08:01 AM 09-01-2015
Do you always call to verify? I have never done that before. If you do not go to the same bank I bet she figured it would take 2 days for your check to get to her bank and hopefully she plans on having money in there by then.
Thriftylady 08:04 AM 09-01-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Do you always call to verify? I have never done that before. If you do not go to the same bank I bet she figured it would take 2 days for your check to get to her bank and hopefully she plans on having money in there by then.
Yes I do, because if I don't and checks bounce then stuff on my account will bounce. So her check bounces and that money gets taken out, my bank charges me $50 and then for everything that bounces due to that from my account I pay $33 an item. Then likely I would have to take someone to court and wait all that time for my money, and in the meantime I am broke. No, I am not willing to do that.
MyAngels 11:06 AM 09-01-2015
I understand why you'd want to call to verify funds, but even doing that doesn't guarantee the funds will be there when the check is actually presented. For instance, my bank (a CU) clears items as they are presented 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Many banks are going this route these days. By the time you deposit at your bank and it is presented at her bank many other things could be presented and paid, leaving no funds for your check. I guess I'm just saying that if you want to be really sure of payment you'll have to cash checks at the bank they're drawn on.
Thriftylady 11:33 AM 09-01-2015
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I understand why you'd want to call to verify funds, but even doing that doesn't guarantee the funds will be there when the check is actually presented. For instance, my bank (a CU) clears items as they are presented 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Many banks are going this route these days. By the time you deposit at your bank and it is presented at her bank many other things could be presented and paid, leaving no funds for your check. I guess I'm just saying that if you want to be really sure of payment you'll have to cash checks at the bank they're drawn on.
Yes that is true, and when you call they tell you that it would clear at that moment but they can't guarantee it. I just find it is one tool I can use to help protect myself.
Pepperth 11:43 AM 09-01-2015
I'm kind of surprised they verify funds over the phone. None of the banks I've worked at will do that for a person due to the fact that verification doesn't guaranty that funds will be available at the time the check is presented.
Thriftylady 12:31 PM 09-01-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I'm kind of surprised they verify funds over the phone. None of the banks I've worked at will do that for a person due to the fact that verification doesn't guaranty that funds will be available at the time the check is presented.
Most of them have an automated system just for that now. But It always says "At this time, and this is not a guarantee of payment".
Reply Up