Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Behavioral Advice
Sandersfam76 07:24 PM 10-19-2016
I have a three-year-old little girl in my class who doesn't respond well when she is told no or cannot get her way. I understand that is typical behavior for a three-year-old. This little girl will destroy my classroom by knocking over all the chairs, toys, and trashcan's as well as scream at the top of her lungs. Today we were outside and she became angry and there was nothing for her to throw or push over so she pushed a little girl down onto a bike. We try to talk to our friend but she screamed in our faces and runs away. She proceeded to run up to another child and push him into the fence. These tantrums seem extreme and happen at least four times a day. We address the mother today and she seemed to think it was very funny and giggled about it as she was signing three incident reports. Suggestions are welcome!
Leigh 07:45 PM 10-19-2016
Advice? INSIST on psychiatric care? Seriously, I'd kick her out with a recommendation that they seek a psych evaluation from a PSYCHIATRIST (not a counselor or therapist), get a diagnosis and treatment plan, and follow that plan. If I were keeping her, I'd give them 24 hours to have such an eval scheduled (I would NOT keep her, but it appears that you have no choice in a center).
Josiegirl 01:59 AM 10-20-2016
Typical behavior? I've had some challenging children but can't remember having 4 incidents in one day as you describe. If you can't let her go, she should be someone's shadow as much as possible, to keep the other dcks from harm. It's not fair to them. If she can't be nicer to them, she doesn't get to play with them.
Dcm isn't taking it seriously enough. Someone needs to have a conference with her and dcd(in the picture?) to create a behavior plan and make sure she sticks to it.
Heart12 07:23 AM 10-20-2016
A few years ago when I worked in a center, a 4yr old in my class was doing the exact same things. If children were building with blocks, he would scream & run over to knock it down. Never played with other kids, came in every single morning screaming (not crying) at the top of his lungs. The other kids in my class were terrified of him. This had been going on since the child was 2yrs old. FINALLY after 2yrs of trying to convince the parents to get this kid evaluated, (so much denial) & a threat to term, they did & the child was diagnosed with Autism. Immediately after getting this child some help, he became the most lovable child. All of the kids in my class wanted to help him make good choices too! I would strongly suggest to the parents to get him in to be evaluated
daycarediva 11:12 AM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Typical behavior? I've had some challenging children but can't remember having 4 incidents in one day as you describe. If you can't let her go, she should be someone's shadow as much as possible, to keep the other dcks from harm. It's not fair to them. If she can't be nicer to them, she doesn't get to play with them.
Dcm isn't taking it seriously enough. Someone needs to have a conference with her and dcd(in the picture?) to create a behavior plan and make sure she sticks to it.
Have you documented this? Spoken to the parents? The director?
Reply Up