Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD The Only Parent That Won't Pay Online
spedmommy4 06:13 AM 11-25-2015
I have 15 families enrolled. Gradually, they have all switched over to online payments, except one. He pays in cash. It's a pain since I generally have to take it to the bank during business hours. (My banks ATM is fussy about accepting cash- it has to be really flat)

We did about it yesterday because I'm going on vacation next week. My employees are working in my absence and I really don't want them accepting tuition money. I would prefer that he pay online. He said he just likes to pay for everything in cash and would bring cash next week. Ugh!

Any thoughts? I would at least like to convince him to make the switch for next week. It would be nice if he would switch over to online payments altogether.
childcaremom 06:32 AM 11-25-2015
Can you just not give him the option? Tell him your policies are changing and you require all payments to be online, no exceptions?

I agree. I have one that pays in cash, too, and I prefer all online. I'm changing that all new enrollments be online payments only.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 11-25-2015
I agree with Childcaremom. I just wouldn't give him the option to pay in cash.

Maybe say something like:

"Beginning January 1, 2016 payments for child care will be accepted via on-line only."

Or you could always go the "Charge a fee for that...." route and tell him if he pays ANY other way other than on-line that there will be a $25 convenience fee for having to hire someone to run that errand to the bank for you during business hours.

Either way, win-win for you!
nannyde 06:44 AM 11-25-2015
I love cash payments. Can you just use it for petty cash?
Crazy8 06:53 AM 11-25-2015
I agree with the above that if you want all your payments online just make it a policy for your business.

But I am a Dave Ramsey follower and use cash for everything so I understand the parent's side too, it will probably be an inconvenience on their end so will be up to them to decide if its worth it.
midaycare 07:17 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I agree with the above that if you want all your payments online just make it a policy for your business.

But I am a Dave Ramsey follower and use cash for everything so I understand the parent's side too, it will probably be an inconvenience on their end so will be up to them to decide if its worth it.
Hooray for Dave Ramsey! I have one parent who perfers cash, and I love it. I use it for grocery money.
Laurel 07:52 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I have 15 families enrolled. Gradually, they have all switched over to online payments, except one. He pays in cash. It's a pain since I generally have to take it to the bank during business hours. (My banks ATM is fussy about accepting cash- it has to be really flat)

We did about it yesterday because I'm going on vacation next week. My employees are working in my absence and I really don't want them accepting tuition money. I would prefer that he pay online. He said he just likes to pay for everything in cash and would bring cash next week. Ugh!

Any thoughts? I would at least like to convince him to make the switch for next week. It would be nice if he would switch over to online payments altogether.
I would just accept his cash personally.

I was just shopping with a friend the other day and between the clerk, another customer and the two of us we ALL had at least one example of someone getting our information. Our identity was stolen and we had to wait a year for our income tax refund. We have had issues with people trying to start online accounts in our name (because now our stolen info is out there). Luckily we weren't out any money but he could be worried about that kind of thing. I keep saying I need to go all cash, or mostly, but have been a little lazy about actually doing it.
Controlled Chaos 08:44 AM 11-25-2015
I am a Dave Ramsey follower too BUT I think its more about not using credit than using literal paper money. KWIM? I pay my DDs dance lessons with a debit card because thats what the owner prefers for his business.
Ariana 09:54 AM 11-25-2015
I personally think that you cannot "force" a person to pay in a certain way. I know it is inconvenient for you but it is their choice how they decide to pay for services. Maybe there is a reason for it tat is too personal to get into.
lovemykidstoo 10:30 AM 11-25-2015
Before I started my daycare I worked for a bank for 13 years. It is highly possible he doesn't have a checking account for many reasons and even if he does, some people don't automatically qualify to get a debit card. It doesn't matter what kind of a job he has, you'd be surprised at how many well-to-do people are not able to have either. Maybe that's a possibility?

I also think that every bank that has an ATM would also have a night depository that you can use instead of the picky ATM. I always use the night drop because I can do it at my convenience and it hits my account first thing in teh morning. The ATM at my credit union takes 2 to 3 days to hit my account. I have no idea why.
midaycare 10:32 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I personally think that you cannot "force" a person to pay in a certain way. I know it is inconvenient for you but it is their choice how they decide to pay for services. Maybe there is a reason for it tat is too personal to get into.
I don't know ... Certain places won't accept cash (book fairs, smaller vendors), or cash over a certain amount (gas stations), many places only take a certain type of credit card, and some don't take them at all. Many places refuse checks. I believe we can absolutely do the same thing.
Ariana 10:35 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I don't know ... Certain places won't accept cash (book fairs, smaller vendors), or cash over a certain amount (gas stations), many places only take a certain type of credit card, and some don't take them at all. Many places refuse checks. I believe we can absolutely do the same thing.
Yes but they would know that beforehand and may not choose to frequent those businesses. I think in this particular case if it hadn't been part of her contract in the beginning she can't just spring it on them. This is just my opinion and how I dealt with it when I had a parent who kept paying with checks. Eventually she switched over but I left it up to her since it was not part of our original agreement.
midaycare 10:40 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Yes but they would know that beforehand and may not choose to frequent those businesses. I think in this particular case if it hadn't been part of her contract in the beginning she can't just spring it on them. This is just my opinion and how I dealt with it when I had a parent who kept paying with checks. Eventually she switched over but I left it up to her since it was not part of our original agreement.
True - if OP really wants to enforce this, she may lose dcp, if dcp doesn't want to. This happens with all policy changes, though. I've had to make a few of those (changed my hours not so long ago), but no one even batted an eyelash.
Play Care 12:41 PM 11-25-2015
I agree that I wouldn't force the issue.

I find a lot of places won't take cc unless it's over x amount. Cash is still King most places.
Unregistered 02:57 PM 11-25-2015
You could give him the option to pay cash but instead of weekly pay 4-5 weeks at a time. That way you only go once a month.
Unregistered 03:00 PM 11-25-2015
I also think that every bank that has an ATM would also have a night depository that you can use instead of the picky ATM. I always use the night drop because I can do it at my convenience and it hits my account first thing in teh morning. The ATM at my credit union takes 2 to 3 days to hit my account. I have no idea why.[/quote]

My credit union offered that to me.
Febby 03:40 PM 11-25-2015
Any chance he could pay early (before you leave) so you can handle the payment instead of your employees?

If you really don't want to deal with cash, then don't allow cash payments anymore. Change your policies accordingly and be done with cash.

I personally prefer cash to pay for most things, but I am willing to use other payment methods if requested.
sharlan 04:27 PM 11-25-2015
I'll take cash over check or online anyday. No worries.
spedmommy4 08:19 PM 11-25-2015
I didn't know this would be such a hot topic. I did talk to dcd yesterday and he said that he is just a procrastinator, and likes to hold onto the money until the very last minute. He actually doesn't have an opinion about online payments one way or the other; he has to pay some bills online. (or so he said)

I have two of his kids so it's way too much to hold onto as petty cash. If I pushed the issue, I am certain I wouldn't lose them over it. Their little ones are tough kids. They are good for me but these two terrorized their last provider until the provider quit one day with no notice.

I did end up talking to dcm at pick up today and she said she would set up online payments for next week. At least it solves next week. I think going forward, I will give dcd the option of paying biweekly or paying online. Either way, it will save me some time.

Thanks everyone
284878 12:56 PM 11-26-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I didn't know this would be such a hot topic. I did talk to dcd yesterday and he said that he is just a procrastinator, and likes to hold onto the money until the very last minute. He actually doesn't have an opinion about online payments one way or the other; he has to pay some bills online. (or so he said)

I have two of his kids so it's way too much to hold onto as petty cash. If I pushed the issue, I am certain I wouldn't lose them over it. Their little ones are tough kids. They are good for me but these two terrorized their last provider until the provider quit one day with no notice.

I did end up talking to dcm at pick up today and she said she would set up online payments for next week. At least it solves next week. I think going forward, I will give dcd the option of paying biweekly or paying online. Either way, it will save me some time.

Thanks everyone
If my families paid in cash, it would save me a trip the the bank to deposit and w/d from the ATM. I use cash for everything. As Dave says, Cash is King.
bklsmum 05:05 AM 11-27-2015
I use cash for almost everything as well so I love when my parents pay in cash but different strokes and all that.
spedmommy4 07:59 AM 11-27-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I use cash for almost everything as well so I love when my parents pay in cash but different strokes and all that.
I can't see myself ever converting to cash for the business. My business pays out payroll (electronically) biweekly, the curriculum is paid electronically, etc. The electronic transactions are much easier to track and account for at tax time too.
Hunni Bee 04:38 PM 11-27-2015
I hate cash. I don't like coins spilling all over my purse...I hate one dollar bills and I always either end up losing the money or the bill being too big to break on whatever I'm buying/not having enough cash to cover it.

My debit card is my very best friend.
daycarediva 10:53 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

I would definitely make it a policy going forward that you only accept online payments.

My parents pay all over the place... online/after I invoice them, by debit/credit in person, cash, check, automatic debit/credit.

I'm not picky as long as I'm paid.
Unregistered 09:48 AM 12-06-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'll take cash over check or online anyday. No worries.
You could always get counterfeit money. I used to have a pen that would tell the difference. I didn't "worry" either until twice I got slipped fake money. It was two different families. Both times the pen said it was real. After using a UV style machine, two different store told me the money was fake. Both times 100s. I was out 200 dollars. The best is, I have a security camera. When running the footage, you CAN SEE who gave me the money. The cops were basically like "It's in your possession now. You can destroy it or come into the station and we'll destroy it." I refuse to take cash now. I'd take checks. I don't know about all banks, but I used Bank of America. If someone, not just clients, slips me a check that bounces I get the full amount anyway and they get charged the full amount and a 35 dollar fee.
Tags:online receipts, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up