Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sickness! When to Send Home...
MrsCoffee 11:00 AM 06-02-2010
I have in my contract that if I child is:

Vomiting
Diarrhea
Fever over 100.0
Thick green discharge coming from nose
-Or anything contagious

That they may not come to daycare....

However I have two infants and two toddlers in addition to my preschooler and kindergartner. Boogers and toddlers go hand in hand - And babies diarrhea and vomiting...

I have been very careful to not OVERREACT and send home for any snot or spit up and careful to not send home because of baby poo.. But last week was just downright horrible.

Monday one of the dcb's came and had no appetite and was tired, then he threw up his bottle and developed diarrhea. Told the parents he needed to be taken to the Dr. They insisted he was not this way at home and brought him the next day saying he was well and that he had an appointment Tuesday evening just to be sure. The Dr. gave him a clean bill of health yet the vomiting and diarrhea kept on Wednesday and by Thursday it was only the diarrhea. Also this dcb had NO appitite

Well Thursday afternoon one of my dcg's becomes symptomatic, very tired no appetite diarrhea and then threw up right as she was laid down for her nap!! Her parents picked her up straight away and took her to the Dr. her Dr. said severe virus going around! Ugh! Same day (Thursday) when all the other children woke up from nap another dcb woke up with a fever and tummy ache! Parents picked him up and he started the vomiting and diarrhea as soon as he got home! Later that evening my own daughter got sick

This child returned yesterday, his sister says as soon as she walks in the door " He's real sick, cried all weekend" The father insists she's exaggerating and that he hasn't had a fever...Just a swollen lymoh node. So after am snack dcb who has cried all morning more or less has diarrhea again... all through his clothes and is coughing nose is running. Poor guy. So I call his dad who gives me a real hard time that just one lose diaper doesn't mean he is sick and what did it look like and what did I mean on and on... Finally I said " *-* has Diarrhea and needs to go to the Dr., thats what I mean." He had his wife call me. She came was very sweet to me and understanding. She didn't act like I was blowing the out of proportion, just made him another apt with the Dr. (I guess the child that wasn't sick... already had an apt for the next day...!)

Why do parents do this?

It turns out that there was nothing in his ears or throat but they wanted a blood and stool sample to rule out a virus and his sister told me this morning the Dr. wants him home for 7 days! The parents did not call and let me know how dcb was, I had to call them. And they told me he could return Monday after only 5 days....

What do you do???
I did tell them I need a Dr. note with the date he may return so if it's Monday that is fine but it will have to say so per Dr.

This is fortunately the worst case I have ever encountered.
Any advise?

I have only been licensed since March before that I did childcare for 8 years and during those times I just went unpaid. This specific child will have used up his sick days (each child get''s 2 a year for full timers) I am thankful for my license! I don't want to judge to quickly but i have to look out for everychilds best interest. I can't favor or overlook something that could make other children ill... I don't want the parents to be sore at me. How do I keep the peace or do I just let it be what it is and if they are mad they are mad. Part of our jobs is dealing in a loving professional way with our children's parents. Some are just harder to deal with than others.
Janet 11:26 AM 06-02-2010
Remember that you are the person who makes the policies. Your daycare is YOUR business. Parents will try many different approaches to avoid having to stay home with their sick child. You just need to make sure that the parents of the children in your care understand that your policies and unflinching. Make sure that they understand that there are no exceptions. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard teething or allergies or some other stupid excuse for why a child has a fever, a yellow runny nose, diarrhea or vomiting, then I could retire now! Post your illness policy in a place where it will be impossible to avoid seeing it. Also, don't be afraid to ask for a Dr. note from the doctor. If they ask why you need the note, and why their word isn't enough, just tell them that it is for your files. One sick child left in daycare can wreak havoc!
momofboys 11:54 AM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by krogers1982:
I have in my contract that if I child is:

Vomiting
Diarrhea
Fever over 100.0
Thick green discharge coming from nose
-Or anything contagious

That they may not come to daycare....

However I have two infants and two toddlers in addition to my preschooler and kindergartner. Boogers and toddlers go hand in hand - And babies diarrhea and vomiting...

I have been very careful to not OVERREACT and send home for any snot or spit up and careful to not send home because of baby poo.. But last week was just downright horrible.

Monday one of the dcb's came and had no appetite and was tired, then he threw up his bottle and developed diarrhea. Told the parents he needed to be taken to the Dr. They insisted he was not this way at home and brought him the next day saying he was well and that he had an appointment Tuesday evening just to be sure. The Dr. gave him a clean bill of health yet the vomiting and diarrhea kept on Wednesday and by Thursday it was only the diarrhea. Also this dcb had NO appitite

Well Thursday afternoon one of my dcg's becomes symptomatic, very tired no appetite diarrhea and then threw up right as she was laid down for her nap!! Her parents picked her up straight away and took her to the Dr. her Dr. said severe virus going around! Ugh! Same day (Thursday) when all the other children woke up from nap another dcb woke up with a fever and tummy ache! Parents picked him up and he started the vomiting and diarrhea as soon as he got home! Later that evening my own daughter got sick

This child returned yesterday, his sister says as soon as she walks in the door " He's real sick, cried all weekend" The father insists she's exaggerating and that he hasn't had a fever...Just a swollen lymoh node. So after am snack dcb who has cried all morning more or less has diarrhea again... all through his clothes and is coughing nose is running. Poor guy. So I call his dad who gives me a real hard time that just one lose diaper doesn't mean he is sick and what did it look like and what did I mean on and on... Finally I said " *-* has Diarrhea and needs to go to the Dr., thats what I mean." He had his wife call me. She came was very sweet to me and understanding. She didn't act like I was blowing the out of proportion, just made him another apt with the Dr. (I guess the child that wasn't sick... already had an apt for the next day...!)

Why do parents do this?

It turns out that there was nothing in his ears or throat but they wanted a blood and stool sample to rule out a virus and his sister told me this morning the Dr. wants him home for 7 days! The parents did not call and let me know how dcb was, I had to call them. And they told me he could return Monday after only 5 days....

What do you do???
I did tell them I need a Dr. note with the date he may return so if it's Monday that is fine but it will have to say so per Dr.

This is fortunately the worst case I have ever encountered.
Any advise?

I have only been licensed since March before that I did childcare for 8 years and during those times I just went unpaid. This specific child will have used up his sick days (each child get''s 2 a year for full timers) I am thankful for my license! I don't want to judge to quickly but i have to look out for everychilds best interest. I can't favor or overlook something that could make other children ill... I don't want the parents to be sore at me. How do I keep the peace or do I just let it be what it is and if they are mad they are mad. Part of our jobs is dealing in a loving professional way with our children's parents. Some are just harder to deal with than others.

I think you did the right thing. I would be frustrated though if a child returned to my care sooner than the dr. recommended. I think parents realize when they are in a daycare whether it be at home or in a center that illnesses do get shared no matter how viligant you might be to prevent it. They have to do their part too in keeping their child home when the child is not 100%. I don't blame you at all for calling the parents to pick up the diarehha child.
grandmom 02:16 PM 06-02-2010
Ugh. I'm so sorry. Sick children is so hard on the providers.

Do you have access to a Public Health Department? If so, they should have a list, or a poster with criteria for when a child must leave, and when they can come back. I have that posted in my daycare, and just point to it and read it to the parent. Then I can just say, this is the law I must follow.
MrsCoffee 05:46 PM 06-02-2010
Grandmom - Great Advise, I will do this. Thank you
Tags:send home, sickness
Reply Up