Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Your S/O Help You With Daycare?
Unregistered 11:00 AM 04-09-2015
Do any of you have an S/O that helps with daycare? Do you qualify for more children because of their help? Or do they just help when they are there? Or do they have nothing to do with daycare?
KSDC 11:15 AM 04-09-2015
My husband is trained/certified to be my back up. For me that means that once or twice a year, he will watch the kids during nap time when I need to go the Dr for a check-up. Or keep an eye on them when he is home for lunch so that I can go to the bathroom.

Otherwise, the daycare is my career. He has his own job that he goes to during the day.
Kabob 11:18 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by KSDC:
My husband is trained/certified to be my back up. For me that means that once or twice a year, he will watch the kids during nap time when I need to go the Dr for a check-up. Or keep an eye on them when he is home for lunch so that I can go to the bathroom.

Otherwise, the daycare is my career. He has his own job that he goes to during the day.
Mine too. The kids adore him and he will read/play with them while I prep or clean...usually I have to tell him to take some time for himself on his days off or else he would spend the entire day playing with the kids.
Annalee 11:20 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by KSDC:

I would be divorced if I expected my hubby to help... I have a separate room and he is NO WHERE NEAR here when daycare is going on He works a separate daytime job which works out great. I DO NOT discuss A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G about daycare with him. My business is my baby and that is how I like it
Jack Sprat 11:23 AM 04-09-2015
My DH eats lunch with the kids everyday (he works 3 blocks from our home). He watches them so I can go to the bathroom etc. He plays and interacts with them. There are some days he just cruises through and says hi and heads up stairs. Most days he hangs out with for a bit. He is also involved on the financial aspect of daycare, he is the bounty hunter so to speak.
sahm1225 11:28 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I would be divorced if I expected my hubby to help... I have a separate room and he is NO WHERE NEAR here when daycare is going on He works a separate daytime job which works out great. I DO NOT discuss A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G about daycare with him. My business is my baby and that is how I like it
Ditto!
scorp122 11:49 AM 04-09-2015
My husband is also my sub, usually during nap time or at the end of the day i will make my appts. I think the kids love him more than me!! We do talk about my business, but he leaves all the decisions up to me!
Meeko 11:50 AM 04-09-2015
We are a family daycare in every sense of the word. This is our sole source of income. My husband, son and myself are all fully licensed as providers and my daughters as subs. We are licensed for 16.

My son and I mainly run things. But my husband is right there too. He takes care of all the finances.

On Fridays, my husband and son manage the kids so I can have the day "off" (at least from the kids). I clean and organize, run errands etc.

My DCP's are all just fine with whoever opens the door. I make sure they know at interview that we are family first and foremost and that in order to be a part of my daycare, they must be comfortable with everyone, not just me.
sharlan 11:57 AM 04-09-2015
My dh is retired/disabled so he's home. He does all of the quick errand running and picks up the grandkids from school.

As far as helping with the kids, he really doesn't do a lot. He is not on my license, but is CPR certified so I can leave him with the kids if need be. Generally, I don't unless granddaughter is here because it's physically hard for him to care for the kids.

He has nothing to do with the actual running of the business. I handle all of that.
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 04-09-2015
My DH helps daily. He is also self-employed and works at home.

He drives into town to our daycare house daily. He does ALL lunch prep and serving. Then he does the dishes and clean up while I get the kids settled into naps.

We then have lunch together and then he usually heads home.

It is a nice break in the middle of the day for me and a nice one for him as well as he gets lonely by himself at home.

He is also my second adult if we have walks or activities planned that require a second adult .

He has all the same trainings I do, just in case I do ever have to leave him on site without me. His presence would allow me to have 4 additional children but those kids would be school age and since I don't enroll/accept school agers, it isn't an issue.

My families all LOVE him and the kids would have some serious behavior issues if he didn't come in for lunch every day.
DaveA 12:42 PM 04-09-2015
My wife subs for me occasionally (Doctor's appointments and such) and plays with the kids she's home from work. She's good with them 1 on 1 but doesn't have the temperament for group childcare care for long periods of time. As for my license, it is my name only.

The admin/ business side of things I bounce ideas off her and get her opinion but it is basically my show to run my way.
mommiebookworm 12:51 PM 04-09-2015
My husband is our handyman! He works long shifts, so rarely makes it home before the kids leave. He helps me with any diy projects or any maintenance. When he does see the kids, they all run up to him and want him to pick them up.
Controlled Chaos 01:37 PM 04-09-2015
Seeing this post made laugh a bit, yesterday was the first time my dh has been alone with the dcks in almost a year he is an amazing dad and husband. He likes kids, he is in school to be a social worker (wants to work with foster kids), but the large groups flusters him I had a dentist apt and he had the kids for lunch clean up and naps. He was super stressed. BUT he is awesome about helping me in a bind, in the same way I will take him dinner if he is stuck at work late. I bounce business ideas off him, but he has no final say unless a child or family is effecting him directly. I am in the process of hiring a sub/assistant so he doesn't have to sub anymore.
Baby Beluga 01:41 PM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Yep, here too!
AuntTami 01:43 PM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
My husband is our handyman! He works long shifts, so rarely makes it home before the kids leave. He helps me with any diy projects or any maintenance. When he does see the kids, they all run up to him and want him to pick them up.
This is mine too. He's also my "bounty hunter"... The financial aspects of getting payment etc is on him because he keeps so much better composure. I tend to fly off the handle :-D lol. He's also my back up if I need to talk to parents about issues. He doesn't say much but he's there as a "third party" and gives advice to both sides to meet common grounds. Plus I feel more confident when he's there vs when he's not.

He works a full time Day job but sometimes gets home early. He plays with the kids and watches them while I go potty. I've even had to have him open for me. I was home but not able to answer the door right away. All of my parents are fine with him. Most would be fine if I left him with their kids the entire day, but I don't, but they wouldn't bat an eye over leaving him alone with them for 15-20 minutes, or even for a doctors appointment. Like PP, my families all know that this is OUR house and we refer to it as "our business" even though I run most of the show.
Thriftylady 05:09 PM 04-09-2015
My hubby is a truck driver, so is usually only home 34 hours a week, usually on weekends and I don't have kids then right now. This week he is home sick (not contagious just can't drive a semi), so he has helped a little and he does help with things around the house when he is home like repairs and such. Other than that, it is my baby and we talk about our jobs but usually he does his and I do mine.
finsup 05:46 PM 04-09-2015
Mine will play/interact/help if he's here but he's typically not when the kids are. He leaves for work when my first one arrives and is home after they leave. We make all descions about the business together though. It is technically my business, but its our home and I really value his input. Well...most of the time lol.
kathiemarie 07:53 AM 04-10-2015
Mine helped a lot when our own kids were younger but now that they are adults not so much. I have a daughter (24) that will help when I need her to. The kids do love him and are very excited when he is around. My last group used to call him Uncle Dan. He is older now and not really into kids.
daycare 07:56 AM 04-10-2015
Chef

That's what the dcks calm my hubby. He's here every day to make lunch and the kids adore him. He's a huge part of our program.
spinnymarie 10:44 AM 04-10-2015
DH is one of our subs.
My sister and I are licensed for 12 with the two of us, and 4 SA with a third adult - usually my mom, as my ODD is one of those SA (usually the only SA).
If my mom isn't available, DH is on it, as well as coming down during breaks between meetings or if he goes in late/comes home early. He loves to come down and get all the kids playing a game or something.
On Halloween he subbed for me while I went to help in ODD's classroom for their party. When I came home he had organized and had the kids decorate for a 'Haunted house' and all the kids were dressed up and 'scared' me. It was adorable.
Reply Up