Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>22 Month Old Always Sick
melissa ann 04:19 PM 01-20-2011
Totally fed up with 22 month old dcb. He is ALWAYS sick. Runny nose, cough etc. And this week he's had runny stools. Found out today that the dad doesn't believe in medications. WHAT THE CRAP! This kids is small for his age, he wears 12-18 months clothing. His sister who is almost 4 is rarely sick. (They have different dads) Another dcg was out on Tue because she and a fever and runny nose. I feel like I"m getting it now, again. I had pneunomia twice alread, once when I was 5 and then back in 1999 when I was 26. I do not want to get it a third time.
I want to tell mom that unless he has a dr's note saying he in not contagious, he can not come. They don't go to the dr and they don't keep the kids home either, because they would rather be at work then be with the kids.
I feel bad for the kid. When he was an infant he would spit up 3/4 of his formula. I told her my son did the same but when we switched to soy based he kept it down. He now drinks milk. She insisted on the same formula and I think he has a milk issue. I no longer give him dairy because if he has it, he gets diarhea within 2 hours. I have told her my concern, but it falls on deaf ears. I don't get parents.
countrymom 05:01 PM 01-20-2011
I had a dcb (still have him) that had the same problem around the age. So I did some research and it we switched him to soy milk for 3 months. Unbelievable, his cold syptoms dissappeared. So mom asked dr about this and he said, that its so normal, and to reintroduce milk products in about a year, maybe try that.
melissa ann 03:50 AM 01-21-2011
Thank you. After your post, I looked into it and printed out some pages to give to mom. I doubt if she will listen, however, I will tell her dcb can stay today, but if doesn't improve over the weekend, he can not come.
MarinaVanessa 12:19 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
Totally fed up with 22 month old dcb. He is ALWAYS sick. Runny nose, cough etc.
Sounds to me like you need s stiffer illness policy. Here's mine so that you have an idea and maybe want to make some changes to yours. If you don't have one yet you should really write one up. Mine is long but only because I have to add and add to it over time because I always have parent's trying to get one over on me.

Sick Policy We understand that all children have minor illnesses from time to time that do not prevent them from participating in daycare; however, there are certain circumstances where children should not attend. Please understand that although it is an inconvenience for you as a parent to take time off of work when he/she cannot attend daycare, there are reasons for the exclusion.
Most of the time the child doesn’t feel well enough to participate comfortably in the daycare activities and the ill child requires more care than the provider is able to provide without compromising the health and safety of the other children.
Symptoms for Exclusion A child will not be able to attend daycare if he/she exhibits any symptoms for exclusion, such as those listed, without a physician's note which clearly states that the child can participate in activities without transferring any sickness to another child.
Those include, but are not limited to:
•Severe sore throat/coughing/colds or strep throat.
•Fever of 100°F or above.
•Green/yellow discharge from nose or eyes.
•Ear discharge.
•Head lice, nits or scabies.
•Three or more watery stools within 24 hours.
•Two or more occasions of vomiting within 24 hours.
•Severe diaper rash.
•Chicken pox.
•Conjunctivitis (pink eye).
•Mumps, measles, influenza, pertussis (whooping cough), coupe, impetigo, tuberculosis, rubella, rosella, etc.
•Any type of body rash.
•Intestinal worms, ringworms, pin worms etc.
•Anything contagious and transmittable.
•If the child is too tired or fussy to participate in normal activities.

Your child may return to the daycare 24 hours after the symptoms of the illness have subsided without the aid of medication and if the child is not contagious and/or if accompanied by a physician's note. If the childcare provider deems that the child is not well enough to attend the child is to be taken home.
If a child becomes ill at daycare the childcare provider will contact the child's parents and the child will need to be picked up immediately. During the time spent waiting to be picked up the ill child will be separated from the other children, comforted and given the opportunity to rest.
If your child becomes ill at home please call the daycare provider so that she can notify the other families and look out for any illnesses that could spread throughout the daycare.

Found out today that the dad doesn't believe in medications.
Technically medications don't make you better, they just hide the symptoms so that your body can rest. If they don't want to give their child medication that's all right by me, but you shouldn't be left to suffer through it all and they should keep their child home until they are well.

You may want to see what your state's regulations say about illness. For example mine in CA says "When a child shows signs of illness he/she shall be separated from other children and the nature of the illness determined. If it is a communicable disease he/she shall be separated from other children until
the infectious stage is over." From here it depends on what we want our policies say. Like it says above, mine is if they are sick, they stay home.

I no longer give him dairy because if he has it, he gets diarhea within 2 hours. I have told her my concern, but it falls on deaf ears. I don't get parents.
My DD has a minor alergic reaction to milk and some dairy products (diagnosed). Anytime she drinks milk she gets congested, coughs really bad and gets runny noses. I give her soy now and no problems unless she slips and has a milkshake or something and grandmas, they forget sometimes.
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 01-21-2011
I think he has a milk issue. I no longer give him dairy because if he has it, he gets diarhea within 2 hours. I have told her my concern, but it falls on deaf ears. I don't get parents.
If you are on the food program, I am pretty sure you cannot deny him dairy unless he has a special diet statement. If they won't get one from the doctor then call them to pick him up EVERY time he has diarrhea and sooner or later they will take control of their problem...right now it seems as though it is your problem so you need to find a way to give it back to them. I also agree with pp about having a stricter illness policy that is enforced firmly.
melissa ann 06:24 AM 01-23-2011
As far as medicine, I don't give it to my kids,unless they a) they have a fever, b) have a constant runny nose c) have a cough that keeps them from resting. For a mnor cough/runny nose I don't give them anything,

As far as not denying him the milk. I think that's crazy. If you thought a child was allergic to peanuts would you still give the child peanuts because the parents were in denial of their child's food allergies?
I'm with the child more in a day then his parents. So I see more of his issues. I am not going to put the child through more suffering just because the parents are idiots.
dEHmom 04:35 AM 01-24-2011
I discussed several times with one of my families because dcg always had runny nose and sneezing. For months straight.
After about the 3rd talk with parents, we came to a decision that it is probably just allergies since both mom and dad have allergies to animals. HMMMM.........they have a million animals I found out at home, I have 2 dogs and a cat, and asked on phone interview if there were any allergies, answer was no. If it's greenish colored snot, then it's not allergies, so make sure it's clear and not colored.

So, I stepped up a notch (not just because of dcg, but because I've just stepped up my cleaning routine (which benefited me and her) because she's not snotty anymore! Keeping the animals separated AT ALL TIMES, and making sure no pet hair on carpet etc, she has improved. I have noticed when she lays with the cat sometimes she gets a little puffy eyed, etc.

I am the same in a way about medicating. I know parents who tylenol everytime their kid is sick, and I advise against it.
If you use tylenol everytime your child is ill, or coughs, they will basically build up an immunity against it. Maybe that's not the right term, but it becomes less effective. Save it for when it's truly necessary.
MarinaVanessa 08:22 AM 01-24-2011
As far as not denying him the milk. I think that's crazy. If you thought a child was allergic to peanuts would you still give the child peanuts because the parents were in denial of their child's food allergies?
I think the point here is that if she is on the food program then it's a requirement to give them milk at meal times unless the parent's fill out a form. Otherwise then the DP is going against the food program guidelines which signed and agreed to and she can be penalized and even kicked off of the program. The example of peanuts isn't a good example because peanuts aren't a requirement of the food program (or any other potential allergenic food like honey, eggs etc) and can be substituted for another type of high protein food but milk cannot. And they are very specific ... milk MUST be offered at main meal times. The way the food program will see is "It's the provider's responsibility to make sure that the parent signs the proper forms" even if the parent is irresponsible or were in denial.

I agree that each time that the child is "sick" the child should go home. It should be the parent's issue, not the provider. If the provider is not on the food program then there isn't an issue and she can try not giving the child dairy at daycare to see if there is a difference.
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I think the point here is that if she is on the food program then it's a requirement to give them milk at meal times unless the parent's fill out a form. Otherwise then the DP is going against the food program guidelines which signed and agreed to and she can be penalized and even kicked off of the program. The example of peanuts isn't a good example because peanuts aren't a requirement of the food program (or any other potential allergenic food like honey, eggs etc) and can be substituted for another type of high protein food but milk cannot. And they are very specific ... milk MUST be offered at main meal times. The way the food program will see is "It's the provider's responsibility to make sure that the parent signs the proper forms" even if the parent is irresponsible or were in denial.

I agree that each time that the child is "sick" the child should go home. It should be the parent's issue, not the provider. If the provider is not on the food program then there isn't an issue and she can try not giving the child dairy at daycare to see if there is a difference.
Thank you MarinaVanessa...that is EXACTLY what I was getting at. I just didnt make myself very clear I guess. I too, have parents that do not look into getting the necessary background info and doctor visits their child needs but I do participate with the food program and if I was in the same situation as the OP, I could NOT deny the child milk without a special diet statement from a doctor. So in that situation, I would require the parent to seek medical advice or I would send child home EVERY time he got diarrhea as stated in my sick policy....after numerous pick ups the parent MAY be more inclined to seek the help of the child's pediatrician or a person who specializes in nutrition.
Tags:sickness
Reply Up